Hendrix "Are You Experienced" 2014 200g vinyl mastered by Bernie Grundman?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by texquad, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texquad

texquad Senior Member Thread Starter

I purchased a new 2014 Sony Legacy 200 gram vinyl release of Hendrix's "Are You Experienced". It's not a gatefold sleeve like the 2010 release and this new one says it's mastered from the original 2-track master tapes by Bernie Grundman and pressed at Quality Records. My question is that all my other Hendrix vinyl that were mastered by B.G. have his intitals in the dead wax and this one doesn't. Also the matrix numbers look to be the same as the 2010 release which was mastered by the late George Marino. Both discs are stamped "Sterling". I can't determine any real differences between the two sound wise so just maybe this is not a BG mastering job after all. Maybe Bernie does not intial all his pressings. Anyone know more about this?

2. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Sounds like the 200g mono release from last year. Have you played it and does it sound like crap? If so, you likely have the mono reissue.

<edit> Never mind. You said no differences sound-wise.

3. texquad

Not the mono! This is a new 2014 200g stereo edition. I forgot to mention that along with no gatefold sleeve there's no liner notes.

4. texquad

I just emailed Adam Woloszyn at Bernie's office to see if they can confirm.

5. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Do any of your other BG stamped vinyl have STIRLING in the deadwax?

6. texquad

Only this new A.Y.E. has the Sterling stamp. All my other B.G. initialed discs are not.

7. Gordon Johnson

Like mine, and this suggests to me that Bernie did NOT master this album issue in question.

Any reply to your mail btw?

8. texquad

No reply from Bernie's people on this and I wonder if I even here from them on the subject.
    I'm thinking that this album was mislabeled with wrong information and I'm thinking about returning it anyway because side one is pressed slightly off axis. "Just as the Axis!"

9. texquad

10. texquad

Just for fun I posted my review on the Acoustic Sounds website listed above:

Sticker says mastered by Bernie Grundman but me thinks not! - 1 Stars (08/30/2014)

Reviewer: T-Bone

The sticker on the front of this 2014 200gram version of A.Y.E. says it was mastered by Bernie Grundman from the original stereo master tapes and pressed by Quality Records. I was interested in hearing the differece between Bernie's mastering and the 2010 version mastered by the late George Marino. The two versions pretty much sound the same and Bernie normally has his initals BG in the dead wax on his other Hendrix releases he mastered but for some reason they are not on this new one. Also this new 2014 version and the 2010 version seem to have identical matrix numbers and both have "Sterling" in the dead wax too! Now none of my other BG mastered Hendrix titles have "Sterling" in the dead wax, so I'm under the impression that the sicker infomation maybe incorrect. That's why I'm forced to give it 1 star for being misleading, although the record is a stone cold classic and still sounds great even if it's not BG's mastering!

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  11. texquad

I have also sent an email to Sony Legacy asking for information on the mastering on the new 2014 200g disc.

12. audiohound

audiohound Forum Resident

Hmmm...

I've been so interested in getting this version when it' released, so I have a few comments and questions, please:

• Most importantly, where did you buy it, and where can I buy one!!!!????
    • I like that it's not a gatefold because the original wasn't a gatefold, correct? I like how they did the Mono reissue cover and hope that this new stereo version has a similar cover.
    • I don't like 'revisionist' changes from the art dept. So, is the new non-gatefold cover done in that trendy,revisionist, artsy semi-matte finish, or is it somewhat shiny like the old original LPs?
    • you will notice that Acoustic Sounds has two different versions of the stereo AYE with the fisheye photo listed on their site. One is apparently the 2010 gatefold version with the "full-color booklet." The other is the 200 gram Preorder, which you apparently somehow already own.
    • Both descriptions say: "Remastered from the original two-track mix down master tapes, this all-analog reissue returns to the original 11-song version that was originally released in August 1967." Prior to reading this thread, I assumed that the 200 gram reissue would just be a deluxe QRP repressing of the 2010 stamper. I'd bet that the 2010 and 2014 are identical, and that the Grundman mastering credit is a mistake, as you mentioned.
    • Giving it a one-star rating seems a little bit harsh considering that it sounds really good to you! I'd hate to see sales hurt on this title - because to me it's so important that these QRP reissues keep coming! Indeed a reduced-star review that questions who mastered it is in order. Maybe you could even call Acoustic Sounds or their QRP subsidiary to let them know. However, I couldn't find your review on their site, as this 200gram LP is still in preorder status. Which item # did you post it under? The correct Product # is ALEG 59851.
    • Lastly, I hope you really do have a genuine 200 gram QRP AYE reissue. However, does anyone think that Acoustic Sounds sometimes lists preorders that never actually get pressed? Is this 200 gram QRP reissue" really here?"
    • Case in point: I could swear that Acoustic Sounds had listed a preorder for a 2-LP Allman Brothers Fillmore reissue for a very long time. Then they decided to reissue the 4-LP Box set instead, while still keeping the 2-LP preorder listed afterwards. Finally, the 4-LP Box is on the market, and the 2-Lp preorder is no longer listed.

13. texquad

14. audiohound

Thanks for the detailed info, TexQuad!

• Did you buy it at Half-Price Books through their website? If so, can you provide a link or product # so I can search for it there? (I visited their site but couldn't find this particular version).
    • Are you aware that Quality Records is owned by Acoustic Sounds and has a pressing plant right near their main office in Salina, KS?
    • Do you think that Acoustic Sounds/QRP is actually selling the 2014 Stereo version to outside vendors even though they haven't released yet it on their own site (or to other audiophile vendors like Music Direct and Elusive Disc)?
    • A photo of the LP cover along with the sticker would also be greatly appreciated.
    • Please keep us posted if you hear back from Sony Legacy, Bernie's office, etc.

Thanks,
    Audiohound

15. texquad

16. texquad

17. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Will he do a CD version?

18. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

Obviously it was not cut by Bernie... no need to wait for a reply from his office. The identical deadwax markings, complete with "Sterling" stamp make it clear... Bernie doesn't work for Sterling... they are on different sides of the US. Someone in the graphics dept. at Sony/Legacy just screwed up... it happens.
    In any event, the Sterling/ Marino mastering form 2010 sounds really good.

Gordon Johnson and Kubricker like this.
  19. Gordon Johnson

Regard this issue. The Monterey pressings from earlier this year both had stickers claiming to be BG masterings.
    One was for sure, the other was an EU release from Poland with no BG stamp. Make your own mind up.
    I highlighted this in a review and thus far no comment from EH. Then again, contact with EH before the review regard the poor edit contained in PH on the US pressing got no reply either!!!

marcfeld69 likes this.
  20. texquad

I still think I'm going to return mine. I only purchased it to hear what I thought was a new mastering job, plus side one on mine is slightly off center.

21. audiohound

Thanks for the additional info, TexQuad

I can understand you wanting to return it because my 2010 AYE has an off-center spindle hole, and that's one of the reasons I want the 2014. Sounds like I'll be taking a chance with the new pressing anyway, even though it's QRP.

22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The last pressing was so damn good that I can't imagine ever needing or wanting another copy. (Edit: Although if mine were off-center, then yeah!)

23. texquad

It's not so bad that it's noticible, but that's my excuse for returning it. I wouldn't try to use the mastering issue.
    BTW-What's the deal with QRP? Do they normally make bad pressings like Rainbow?

24. audiohound

QRP usually delivers exquisite pressings that are in no way on par with Rainbo's super-sloppy manufacturing and QC. However, an occasional off-center spindle or some warpage may slip through QRP's plant. I doubt that you would ever receive non-fill, scuffed, or abraded surfaces like you get from Rainbo. I have Simon & Garfunkel and Marianne Faithfull LPs on QRP, and the sonics are incredible. And of course the 200 Gram AYE in Mono from QRP is very well pressed, though the sonics aren't for everyone.

rxcory likes this.
  25. texquad

Well, I may just keep it as an oddity and it does seem to sound slightly better than the the 2010.
    BTW-does anyone know who pressed the original 2010's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.