Hendrix AYE UK mono reissue question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beachboydw, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beachboydw

beachboydw Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Just picked this up today and noticed a weird sound drop/change at the end of Fire. Is that how it's supposed to sound or is my copy defective?

2. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

You will find a thread on the subject with many many comments on your finding.

3. Its a terrible record

johnny q likes this.
  4. beachboydw

beachboydw Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I bought it because everyone here told me how awesome it is...

5. rallizes

rallizes Forum Resident

Everyone? No.

Tomek likes this.
  6. Actually some love it and some like myself hated it. I got the US Mono reissue instead after returning the UK version (thats why Amazon is great). The US is somewhat better. Check out the other thread. Jimi works better in Stereo as far as I am concerned .

But the bottom line is if you like it. There is plenty of mob mentality round here when people love or hate a pressing.

Bill and Gordon Johnson like this.
  7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Watch this thread magically disappear...

No, you won't.

8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Opinion was pretty much split down the middle on this.

9. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

US has it too. I think the most logical explanation was the original tape contains a splice and that piece didn't fair so well over time....or something the tape machine setup and the tape. beats me. I bought the us and don't care for it much. I prefer stereo, even with the 60's crude mixing for stereo.

Mazzy likes this.
  10. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Oh.....?

I didn't know the old thread vanished.

I didn't like that record either. Resold it.

11. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The mono AYE reissues have all kind of audio problems that were apparent on the original US & UK mono pressings. However, there is a mono pressing from France (on the Barclay label) that comes from a mysterious excellent tape source that does not have any of these audio problems. It probably would have been better for them to needledrop a French pressing if the tapes really sound that bad.

12. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

In your opinion ...................... :unhunh:

13. Gordon Johnson

They are both the same (the UK and US versions), well at least the common tracks!! So how can the US version be that much different that you didn't return that one? Especially as you don't like Hendrix in mono.

14. Gordon Johnson

Like I'd go and BUY a needledrop of this!

15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Laservampire made it clear it would NOT be a needledrop of this. The Barclay is from a different source.

16. Well the US reissue sounds marginally better than the UK IMHO. I wanted one for my collection. Why didn't I return it? A very good question as I got caught up in the moment of just having it. I love the music, just not the mono sound in this particular case. But the UK sounded more muffled than the US on my modest system. Maybe strange...

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  17. Gordon Johnson

he said (and its a quote, lol) ................................ " It probably would have been better for them to needledrop a French pressing if the tapes really sound that bad." That suggests to me at least that someone wants to buy a needledrop !!!!!!

So here's a question for you Ben, how do you know it (Barclay) is from a different source? Could it not be the same source but different mastering? Sorry, that turned into two questions :p

18. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Here we go again...

bluemooze, Mij Retrac and johnny q like this.
  19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The US and UK mono reissues are sonically similar enough to their original issues to suggest that the Barclay did come from a different source, as it is *so* different sounding. Could it be the mastering? Possibly. The answer is lost in the mists of time.

20. Gordon Johnson

i can't understand the thing with needledrops and these reissues.
    if anyone wants a needledrop go ahead and get it. lets keep the debate real.

21. So after a few months now, I just played both Experience recent reissues. Mono and stereo back to back and I still feel the same. Listening to the mono was like I had socks over my ears and really not very enjoyable experience. Maybe an artifact but not for enjoying this record. The stereo was fuller brighter and beautiful. The record exploded from my speakers and the socks were nowhere in sight or sound.

Kubricker and Mij Retrac like this.
  22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

My socks exploded just reading this

Mazzy likes this.
  23. If all mono sounded like this, then the government should outlaw it.

24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

From my cold dead hand

Mazzy likes this.
  25. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Is the Mono Barclay a better mastering than the UK mono? or is it marginally better?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.