Hendrix Experts AYE Help??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Hello All,

Are these codes an original Reprise first edition non noise reduced copy of Are You Experienced?

Are You Experienced Reprise W2-6261 Columbia House Pressing upc 07599274382

Or is the only way to tell them apart is if it contains the matrix code RE-1?

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Regardless if it's a Columbia House or not, RE-1 in the matrix means that it has been No-Noised. If you want non no-noised, you want the ones without RE-1 in the matrix. That goes for all Jimi Reprise CDs, I believe.

3. Maidenpriest

Mistake duplicate post

4. Maidenpriest

Cheers, Exactlly as i thought but I am hoping someone could indentify the Non RE-1's with just the Reprise W2-6261 Columbia House Pressing upc 07599274382, maybe someone has that columbian version and can confirm if it is the non RE-1's, because that is all the info I have to go by??

5. George P

George P Notable Member

Not sure about that. I honestly think that if there was a way to identify it other than the matrix, I'd know, as I am after a few of those Jimi Reprise myself. I am not sure if any of the Columbia House are no RE-1. I know I haven't seen one. I've seen a few with it, though.

6. Maidenpriest

Its a bloody nightmare isn't it:shake:

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Until you finally find one. ;)

I own some of the NON RE-1 Jimi Reprises and they sound terrific! Especially AYE. :agree: It's worth all the aggravation, believe me.

8. Maidenpriest

It is so difficult getting hold of these if you live in the UK, the only way i can get them is online, the Polydors were easy to get hold of but these USA Reprises are proving to be very problematic:wave:

9. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Got mine from eBay.com

Tim

10. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Even here they are difficult to obtain especially Axis. In my area (NYC metro), on rare occasions I see an AYE or EL but never an AXIS

11. Maidenpriest

I am in the know regarding original Polydors but can anyone please confirm whether these are original USA Reprise:

AYE? 6216-2 on the spine with DIDX 810 11B6 on the inner ring.

Axis: 6281-2 on the spine with DIDX 1717 21A1 on the inner ring.

Both discs have "Made in USA - Digital Audio Disc Corp" written on the extreme center towards the center hole.

(I have done an extensive search in the archives and the wquestion remained unanswered, perhaps one of you Hendrix experts can respond?)

12. George P

George P Notable Member

That Axis matrix matches my non re-1 Reprise!!

13. AudioGirl

AudioGirl Forum Resident

My old boyfriend bought all the earliest Jimi H. CD's back in the late 1980's (before they were reworked) and I still have them. They might be noise reduction free but they do not sound very good. They sound thin and unmusical (as I've read here countless times).

Sorry, all.

By the way, what is this?:nauga:

bluemooze likes this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

That seems to be the SH mascot/icon.

15. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

Yeah, I have those 2 and believe they are first USA pressings. They don't contain noise reduction.

16. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I have a W2-6261 Columbia House pressing (matrix: DIDX 810 11B5, mfg. by DADC), and a NR-free 6261-2 (matrix: DIDX 810 11A2, mfg by DADC). They tested with identical EAC peak levels and total time (41:05).

17. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I thought it was Jimi ;)

18. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I understand that the original Hendrix Warner/Reprise disks were issued in 1984 and made by CINRAM. The DIDX versions, as I understand it, date from 1985.

I have AYE and ELL DIDX versions that I consider to sound wonderful, and not ``thin and unmusical'' but I understand the point. For me, I don't mind adding a litle bass or rolling off a little treble -- I do mind having it done for me. What sounds terrible to me is the lack of any hint of tape hiss on the RE-1 versions.

19. E-Rock

E-Rock I Got a Rock

I have a non-RE-1 (no NoNoise) copy of AYE? along with an RE-1 copy (with NoNoise) currently in front of me. Neither are Columbia House pressings, but the UPC code for both discs is the same: 7599-27438-2. Inner-ring codes:

DIDX 810 11B1 :)
    1 6261-2 RE-1 SRC-02 :(

Same catalog number, too: 6261-2

20. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have both AYE & EL as non RE-1's and they do not sound as good as the 1st issue West German Polydors. IMO if you want the best seek the original Polydors.

21. George P

George P Notable Member

For ELL, I absolutely agree. To me, the Reprise AYE crushes the Polydor. I wonder though, was there only one Polydor mastering?

22. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

There is a 90s Polydor AYE CD mastering that begins with 847 instead of 825 and has the alternate cover -- and uses the U.S. track listing!

23. George P

George P Notable Member

I wonder if the mastering is different.

Google just yielded these two catalog numbers:

825 416-2
    847 234-2

24. Maidenpriest

I have both and the 847 has the 'sonicnoise' reduction crap applied, the 825 has other problems like songs with intro's slightly cut (this proves they are different masterings) and maybe 3rd generation masters, but luckly the songs not included on the USA AYE Reprise sound great on the 825's:goodie: incidently the 847's are doing really well in my little sample poll thats floating around, which I just don't get:confused: I prefer my Reprise non -R1's:righton:

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for the clarification, Phil. I wonder if one could piece together a good sounding US and/or UK version of AYE using the 825 and the Singles Album on Polydor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.