Hendrix on vinyl - which ones?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by snork, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I love almost all of the new stuff they have put out and generally great quality control, very little warpage, center holes perfect, and excellent mastering on all of them. Axis mono is incredible. I would also say that I do like owning the originals as well which are also essential in my opinion.

2. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Looking forward to Machine Gun!

3. I'm not a Jimi fanatic, but I like him enough to have purchased the below in the last year or two.

:blues (Classic)
    Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues: Jimi Hendrix (Classic)
    Voodoo Chile box (Classic)
    People, Hell and Angels (Sony Legacy)
    Axis:Bold As Love (Sony Legacy)
    First Rays of the New Rising Sun (Sony Legacy)

4. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I agree! My answer was more for the thread title. I usually prefer originals, but being "new" to Hendrix, and unable to find previous presses, these new reissues are a godsend.

Jam757 likes this.
  5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Same here, I have all the new stuff with zero problems. I can't say that for all of the new heavy vinyl I purchase!

6. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Its the best sounding version of the Woodstock concert.. only rival is the 5.1 mix on the blu ray, but that's not comparing apples to oranges. This one is mastered by Bernie Grundman, Any of the Hendrix vinyl mastered by "BG" is killer quality. You won't be disappointed. "Like hearing it for the first time," "heard things you didn't hear before," "felt like you were there," all the audiophile cliches apply. Side note: A bootleg is essential for purists/completists as the Larry Lee tracks are missing on every official release. Bad as they may be, it bugs me that they aren't ever included.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  7. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I agree with you on AYE.
    A few years back, I scored low stamper tri-colors of both AYE and ABAL, both are quite lacking in the low end compared to the UK Polydor issues.

If you want to hear something great, check out the French issue of AYE on Barclay.
    It's in mono since Track/Polydor never sent Barclay a copy of the stereo master, it was available in mono all the way up into the late-70's.
    The second press of the album [early 70's] where Barclay did a Die Beatles and mastered the LP ignoring the mastering instructions,
    that issue blows the EH issue out of the water. I have a hi-res transfer off of a mint LP that sounds waaaaay better than the EH/Sony reissue.

8. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Some Hendrix Live At Woodstock Vinyl is listed on Discogs as being mastered by Kramer and Marino.I also recently seen a Back On Black set in a local store.
    The Bernie Grundam vinyl is the way to go?Did BG only work on the Classic Records Woodstock?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  9. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I saw there is a black vinyl with BG in the dead wax on Discogs. My question is similar, i.e. if the Legacy BG is as good as the Classic (more or less) - because it's a lot cheaper (but not coloured and maybe without the 7")!

10. marcfeld69

Well now, I ordered what I was sure was the Legacy US Live at Woodstock on eBay. The barcode is exactly the one for the US on Discogs matching the 2010 BG matrix. When it arrived, it turned out that it's one of the MOV-leased versions without BG etc. I doubt if they won't accept a return, but it seems to me the ONLY way to know if it's the US is to ask the seller to check that there is no EU/German credit in absolutely TINY writing in the bottom left-hand corner on the back of the record cover. Unfortunately, I didn't see this before I took off the shrink. Is there any other way to know for sure before you buy? Thoughts?

11. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Bang for the buck, the EH releases can not be bested!
    Unlike others, I do not recommend the mono of Axis except for curiosity. an album IMO that was built for stereo. If you must, the Bernie mastered one is a lot of fun.
    And the album Blues: is a must!!!!!

marcfeld69 likes this.
  12. marcfeld69

Bump. Curious if anyone has this isue with the US vs MOV. On Discogs, at least, you see only a US Live at Woodstock with the BG matrix, and a MOV with a numbered matrix, but on my LPs it's got the same barcode as the US but with MOV in the matrix. What do I have?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  13. Apache Chief

Apache Chief Forum Resident

Anyone know the best vinyl issue to get with the original UK track listing (11 tracks) and cover?

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Of what?

15. Apache Chief

Apache Chief Forum Resident

Forgot to specify, I was talking about Are You Experienced (stereo or mono)

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Have you read the thread? It’s been covered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.