Hendrix "Steppin' Stone"--TWO Buddy Miles mixes!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve E., Apr 21, 2008.

1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Mitch and Noel were there too. They even recorded an early version of Little Miss Strange at that session. The drumming on the '68 mix of Somewhere is unmistakably Mitch. I can't remember if Noel plays bass on Somewhere or not.

2. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll Thread Starter

I was just appreciating "My Friend." It's a pretty good song! The small crowd noises are annoying and inappropriate, and I wish there was a good version without them. I wonder why Jimi didn't make plans to release this?

Chris M likes this.
  3. Chris M

I was just thinking that EL could've easily been a triple album when you consider what was in the can.

4. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Ok, you've heard them, so i believe you. Bass player might even be Jimi himself, it sounds like him.

BTW, it's funny how much there is to discuss about Hendrix!

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  5. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

There was a also a certain "Paul Caruso" credited on "My Friend"...was this one of Jimi's Non De Plumes,or was Caruso a Living,Breathing person? I've heard his name mentioned only once on one other Lp "Axis:Bold As Love". Michael Boyce

6. Chris M

Paul Caruso was a real person. One of Jimi's podnuh's from the Village. He is still around. There is a lovely home demo of Jimi and and Paul playing Tears Of Rage that is worthy of release.

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Here's my copy:

Attached Files:

• jh1.jpg
      jh1.jpg
      File size:
      59.9 KB
      Views:
    • jh2.jpg
      jh2.jpg
      File size:
      44.2 KB
      Views:
    anth67 and alchemy like this.
  8. Steve E.

9. Chris M

Thanks for posting that! I've never seen one before. Where did you get it?

10. ascot

ascot Senior Member

The imported Singles Collection box from EH has "Stepping Stone" and "Isabella" listed as the original single mixes.

11. glea

glea Forum Resident

i got my copy when it came out. I ordered myself on through the Discount Records I was working at. I can't remember if I got any other copies... don't know why I only got one for myself?

12. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Thanks for sharing those with us:righton: I SO WANT the full versions!! , has anyone established whether the Cd Singles versions are the same as the samples or the mixes on 'Voodoo Child' comp?

13. Larry Geller

Got it the day it came out (pretty much the only day you COULD get it), at Upstairs Records in Flushing, NY.

alchemy likes this.
  14. Mr 5D

Mr 5D New Member

Yes and i'm quiet surprised having read through the entire thread that that no one has really commented!

It really opens a can of worms. I'd like to know if the first version you posted does indeed match the single version or if it's something else again as much as you would

Thanks for posting the samples :thumbsup:

15. Juan Samus

Juan Samus New Member

I agree totally. Mitch sounds like he's on crack. At least the "Voodoo Soup" version has competent drumming.

16. Steve E.

Well, I surfed a little and found this reference in a discography:

http://home.online.no/~hpjohnse/studio_70.htm

The Alternate Studio Mixes

101. Stepping Stone. The withdrawn original official single mixed on January 7, 1970. Excellent quality. Time: 4:06

102. Stepping Stone. Another mix slightly different from the withdrawn single. This version was mixed on January 7, 1970 and found only on the 1970 Warner Brothers 3LP sampler package "Looney Tunes And Merrie Melodies". Very good quality. Time: 4:09

103. Izabella. The B side to the withdrawn Stepping Stone single. This version was mixed on January 17, 1970. Excellent quality.

104. Izabella. Slightly different mix of the withdrawn single B side with extra guitar parts and Mitch replacing Buddy on drums. This version thought to have been mixed around January 17, 1970. Excellent quality. Time: 2:51

105. Stepping Stone. Slightly different mix of the withdrawn single with extra guitar parts and Mitch replacing Buddy on drums. This version thought to have been mixed around January 20, 1970. Excellent quality. Time: 4:10

I am posting this whole list because the last 2 entries cast doubt on the previous entries. The versions featuring Mitch were almost certainly not mixed in January 1970.

But....it's interesting because at least one person out there is claiming that the Looney Tunes LP is NOT the single mix.

OK, 2 or three of you have claimed to have the actual single. Can't one of you at least play the first 10 seconds of it and tell me whether the lead guitar after the "oo wee" pans quickly or stays on one side? that would answer this whole thing.

alchemy likes this.
  17. Steve E.

By the way....there is also a Loss Leader LP featuring "Izabella". I don't have it. It would be interesting to see if _that_ is a unique mix, too!

18. Maidenpriest

This is a great find, all respect to you Steve E:righton:

Come on people we need to know if this unique mix is the one on the single and if Izabella has a unique mix too?

19. Larry Geller

OK I listened to the samples. The version on Kiss The Sky & Voodoo Child is the 45 (and best) version.

20. Steve E.

Wait....I'm wrong. That's apparently not true.

21. Steve E.

Wow! And you double checked against your 45?

Cool. Thank you.

22. Maidenpriest

Maybe, its too early for me to make a judgement to which is the best version, but isn't it great their is a 'new found' mix:D :righton:

23. Larry Geller

Not yet. I just listened to the excerpts. I'd know the original anywhere. Also, I would have noticed the difference when Kiss The Sky Was 1st released, because, at the time, I only knew 1 mix (the only other one available at the time was the Looney Tunes one, and I hadn't owned that LP since 1972, and rarely played SS off of it anyway, since I was playing the 45 to hear it) and would have instantly noticed any changes (having SS on CD was the only reason I bought Kiss The Sky in the first place). Maybe I'll compare them when I get home tonight, but I really don't think I have to.

24. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Yeah, I forgot about that. I have it but never listened to the SS/Isabella single. Need to check it against the 45

I don't think that was ever on a LL. I have all of them and don't recall them issuing Isabella. If you know the name of it please let me know.

25. nightfall

nightfall Senior Member

I remember seeing that 45 in a NYC record store in 1980. They wanted $150 for it back THEN! I wonder what the going price for a NM copy would be these days.