Henry Kloss/KLH Model Twenty Three recap

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tapehiss, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapehiss

tapehiss New Member Thread Starter

Hi,

New here on the forum and new overall to audio equipment. I'm slowly building my setup and recently got a pair of KLH Model Twenty Threes. I would like to learn how to recap/re-dope them though I'm not too confident about taking this apart and doing any soldering as I have zero experience in doing either.

Anyone suggest a good step by step process? If not, are there any SH'ers out there in the Massachusetts area who would be on for taking a session of teaching/showing me in person (will be willing to pay for a lesson or job)? I don't trust any of the repair guys with a store front around here (have had horrible experiences with all of them!).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

You need to learn to solder on something with no value, such as on junked boards and equipment.

It requires an investment of time and money, but it is a skill that will pay off over and over and not just for audio equipment.

sushimaster and jupiterboy like this.
  3. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

4. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I re-did a pair of KLH Sixes using that same AK thread for guidance. The job went off without a hitch!

5. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I am in the minority (it seems) when it comes to recapping. If the speakers don't work or there is something terribly wrong, sure recap them, but you are better off not doing it, as the speaker designers used the original components in their design and measurements. With new caps, you will undoubtedly get more clarity but you also risk making them sound way brighter, more brittle, harsher than they should be. I got suckered into buying a pair of EPI 100s that were recapped and they were unlistenable. I guess you can always recap them and save the originals so you can change back.

bhazen and sberger like this.
  6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Conventional wisdom says that caps go out of spec after about 20 years, and classic KLH speakers are around 40-50 years old.

I have so far re-capped pairs of KLH Sixes, Realistic Nova-3's, and AR4x's, and in every case the speakers were significantly improved once the caps burned in. They were unlistenable in their pre-restored condition, very veiled and murky.

Of course, if you're happy with what you're hearing, I agree with the old maxim, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." A friend of mine recently sent out the crossovers from his c.1997 Spendor speakers for a recap, and was distraught after hearing how they were transformed. But antique speakers almost always benefit from fresh caps in the crossovers.

7. tapehiss

Thank you so much for the links! I will be attempting this!

8. tapehiss

Thank you so much for the links! I will suck it up and attempt this!

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Just picked up a pair of 23's today to add to my collection of Model Six's and Five's. These are outstanding speakers stock, and while I may recap and redope, I'm leaving them alone for now because they sound incredible as is. My Six's are stock and sound great, too. But the Five's were completely restored, and unfortunately I just don't like their sound. Way too dark and bland. Not my cup of tea. Completely the opposite of the Six's and 23's, which are extremely musical, beautifully balanced and airy. Just about perfect, they sound great with both vintage ss and tube gear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tapehiss and bhazen like this.
  10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

So, they were recapped with caps of the same value, or different? Not sure I follow. Surely if one used new caps of the same value, the speakers should be back to original spec (all else being equal)?

Just inquiring - I know nothing about speaker restoration.

11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Those are truly handsome speakers.

12. tapehiss

Awesome pic! What amp are you using to drive them?

I will be driving mine with an old silver faced Advent 300. Practicing my soldering skills before I attempt to refinish this and trying to follow along with the refurb instructions from the links above. It's a project that's been hanging over my head. Still excited to hear how this setup would sound when spinning vinyl.

Thanks for sharing!

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I've used several amps, but they sound best with my Fisher 500B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.