DCC Archive Herb Alpert & TJB question for Steve H.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored Thread Starter

According to Holy Zoo's new Steve Hoffman site, you're currently working on something by the TJB. Anything you can tell us about it? Thanks. :cool:

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Just an archive thing at the moment.

I'd like to re-release all of the TJB albums again.

It's Happy Music!

3. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Hi Steve,

Glad to read on your Web page that a Herb Albert T.B. remastering pgm is in progress. A very overlooked artist in that what is available in the markletplace which is herendous. I have 2 cd promo from Rondor Music International which is real sweet. 43 tracks in all and well represents his career. I was just listening this in the car this W/E and had a thought, his 60's/70's lps would make a great two-fer series.

Hopefully what was ever holding up previous reissue pgms have been rectified. And now that you are doing the remastering, upon release I will buy them immediately. Good luck in your work and Happy New Year!

Rick A.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

RickA,

Can you possibly list what is on the two CD Rondor Music compilation? I am curious.

Hopefully we can talk Herb into doing a good reissue program. I think he feels that no one wants to hear the old TJB music any more.

Wrong!

5. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

Yep, very wrong... I'll be one of the first in line. Great music! :)

6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The old TJB music stands the test of time and if you want to hear it for now, you should go to a Goodwill and buy the vinyl for $.50 rather than buying the early CD reissues on eBay for the outrageous prices they are going for. We need his music in print.

7. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Hope I don't step on any toes on the way to the checkout stand! Giddy up vaqueros!!

8. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

I can't wait to hear them after they have the "breath of life". I remember wearing out two albums and an 8-track of that super group-- and they don't sound too bad on the A & M 25th anniversary purple CD (from that series I reference in another thread about not being super impressed.) At least the HA&TJB is listenable.

9. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Steve, please clarify this:

I read your statement of the TJ Brass as "an archival thing" to be that Herb is just having his material transferred to an archival format, for his own uses, and not for any imminent release.

Unless he's plannning on doing a box set?
    Boy, if ANY group deserves a 4 Cd Box set from the master tapes, its the TJB!!

They really were, in many ways "The Soundtrack of The 60s".

10. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Steve, please tell Herb that my "Lonley Bull" and "Whipped Cream" cassettes are so worn out, it is a moral IMPERATIVE that you re-release his TJB stuff.

;)

11. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Of course people would want to hear the TJB music again. I bet all it would take is some of the songs to be in the soundtrack of a popular film and the interest will be there. They had such a great sound...

Todd

12. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored Thread Starter

Steve, if A&M/Universal isn't interested in a comprehensive TJB package, maybe you could convince Razor & Tie? I'd sure welcome a nice 2-CD set similar to your Beach Boys masterpiece. :cool:

13. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

CD Now lists Doug Sax as doing the mastering on the Definitive Hits package. Anybody have this and wish to comment (IYHO)on sound quality?

14. "Definitive Hits" is a nicely done job, IMHO. Doug Sax manages to get a warm full-bodied sound out of 20-to-40 year-old tapes. Only minus is that the stereo master tape to "The Lonely Bull" has gone MIA, so Doug had to use the mono single master. Otherwise, it's a totally enjoyable listening experience! Another nice thing about the collection is that the liner notes feature track-by-track commentary by ol' Herb himself. :cool:

15. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I've always had a love-hate relationship with the stereo mix of "Lonely Bull". The two channels are just so damn wide and separated.

Come to think of it, that's why I love it, too....

;)

16. Unknown

Unknown Guest

The old TJB music stands the test of time and if you want to hear it for now, you should go to a Goodwill and buy the vinyl for $.50 rather than buying the early CD reissues on eBay for the outrageous prices they are going for. We need his music in print.

It's strange that you mentioned Goodwill. Being an old quad collector, I regularly check Goodwill and the other similar stores looking for quad tapes or lp's. Two weeks ago, I found an lp boxed set produced by The Longines Symphonette Society titled "A Treasury Of Herb Alpert And The Tijuana Brass". A 5 lp set on 180 gr vinyl in mint condition. I couldn't find any indication that any of the discs had ever been played. Cost: $2.50!

17. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Hi Steve,

Yes, I can provide listing.
    Rondor Music International 1997
    Audio Assembly: Trey Vittetoe & Alex Cook
    Limited promotional sampler
    CD1

1)The Lonely Bull 1962 "The Lonely Bull"
    2)Tijuana Taxi 1965 "Going Places"
    3)Cantina Blue 1966 "What Now my Love"
    4)Beba 1997 "Passion Dance"
    5)Slick 1968 "Beat of the Brass"
    6)Behind the Rain 1979 "Rise"
    7)Cinco De Mayo 1965 "Going Places"
    8)So What's New 1966 "What Now My Love"
    9)Route 101 1982 "Fandango"
    10)I Can't Stop
    Thinking About You 1996 "Second Wind"
    11)Rotation 1979 "Rise"
    12)Bittersweet "Whipped Cream &
    Samba 1965 Other Delights"
    13)Memories of 1966 "What Now My Love"
    Madrid
    14)Our Song 1987 "Keep Your Eye on Me"
    15)Salud, Amor Y Dinero
    1964 "South of the Border"
    16)Green Peppers 1965 "Whipped Cream & Other Delights"
    17)It's All for You 1985 "Wild Romance"
    18)El Presidente 1964 "South of the Border"
    19)Bo-Bo 1967 "Sounds Like"
    20)A Beautiful
    Friend 1964 "The Beat of the Brass"
    21)Adios, Mi Corazon
    1966 "South of the Border"
    22)Rise 1979 "Rise"

Whew, and that's just the first CD.

CD2
    1)Fandango 1982 "Fandango"
    2)Spanish Flea 1965 "Going Places"
    3)Acapulco 1922 1962 "The Lonely Bull"
    4)Passion Dance 1997 "Passion Dance"
    5)Second Wind 1996 "Second Wind"
    6)Street Life 1979 "Rise"
    7)Struttin' w/Maria 1962 "The Lonely Bull"
    8)Sundown 1983 "Blow Your own Horn"
    9)Magic Man 1981 "Magic Man"
    10)3 O'Clock Jump 1989 "Magic Man"
    11)The Mexican Shuffle 1964 "South of the Border"
    12)More & More Amore 1965 "The Lonely Bull"
    13)Up Cherry Street 1964 "South of the Border"
    14)Brasilia 1966 "What Now My Love"
    15)Push and Pull 1982 "Fandango"
    16)Jersalem 1988 "Solid Brass"
    17)Winds of Barcelona 1963 "Volume 2"
    18)She Touched Me 1968 "Beat of the Brass"
    19)Wade in the Water 1967 "Sounds Like"
    20)Que Pasa, Mr. Jones 1997 "Passion Dance"
    21)Friends 1992 "Midnight Sun"

OK, there you have it. Let me know if I can do anything for you on this.

I agree with you Steve, Herb Albert can do a two-fer series (lps were 20+ minutes) and they will sell very well. many of use grew up with him and are still w/him.

Keep persistent, we all Thank you for your pending success. I know you will convince him, especially when he hear's your achievements.

Good luck, were pulling for you!

Rick Accordino

18. BradOlson

That's a great thrift shop find. I only mentioned Goodwill as an example but there is also Salvation Army, Savers and many similar stores as you know. Keep checking out thrift shops for great inexpensive music.

19. Unknown

Unknown Guest

It's amazing as to what's been turning up at the thrift stores lately. Few people have turntables anymore, so the really good stuff that shows up, just sits there waiting for someone like me to come along and find it. Used to be, by the time I got there, all that was left was junk. Times change and technology moves on.

20. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Hello,

I have the Canadian A&M Audiophile-series
    LP of the Greatest Hits. This stuff can
    sound fantastic.

I've resorted to digging up commercial
    Reel to Reel to get all of this material.

Maybe Bear Family could issue a COMPLETE
    TJB box set. Wishful thinking.

21. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I have most of the 60's first pressings mono/stereo and they sound fantastic. Larry Levine's engineering always sounds good. If the tapes are in good shape then any new releases should sound great. I think Herb Albert shouldn't worry about his music being dated and not selling. Like with any older music, it just needs the right marketing and release hype. TJB's sound was and is an important part of music history. Albert/Moss started A&M with next to nothing and then it became a big label. My parents were friends with Jerry Moss for several years during that period and he was amazed at the success of their little label...

Todd

22. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Not bad for a little Label!!

Especially when they sold to Polygram for, what was it, 500 million?

23. BradOlson

I agree with you Todd 100%. Herb shouldn't worry about his music being dated and not selling as it does stand the test of time, IMO, and it does need the right marketing and release hype.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.