Herb Alpert's RISE - re-released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HGN2001, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

Herb Alpert's RISE album got an official re-release today from Shout! Factory. Remastering credit goes to the venerable Bernie Grundman. Since I'm away from home, I can't get a true feel for how this release compares with past efforts, but let it be noted that the album has been re-sequenced by Herb Alpert, probably to provide distance between the main tracks and the two bonus tracks.

Harry

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks for the info., Harry. And there goes the value of the early Japanese pressings. ;)

When you get the chance, please let us know how the new release sounds.

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I was going to mention that "Fandango" and "Midnight Sun" are the next two in the series, due out later this year. You can quit looking for that $300 first pressing CD now, and I can take mine out of the safe the next time you're over. :D

4. HGN2001

It sounded fine in the rental-car's CD player, and right now I'm playing it on one of Disney Vacation Club's DVD players through the in-room TV. Not exactly hi-fi!

Harry

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I had that LP around here (came to me from someone else's downsizing), and was just listening to it yesterday.

It was much more interesting music than I realized.

maybe this is a case where I can get the cd, and compare :)

6. KeithH

I'll give you $5 for your original Fandango CD after the reissue comes out. :D

7. KeithH

So you're at Disney? Every room at the Grand Floridian should have a high-end hi-fi. :)

8. -=Rudy=-

:rant: :winkgrin:

Actually, if if didn't have that skip on the final track (label side scratch), I'd almost take you up on it. :sigh: Should probably keep it for my collection. But I'm sure everyone else who is selling the older copies will have to blow them out for $5 once the new one hits the street.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

So, there is really no change in the sequence, just the gaps?

10. -=Rudy=-

Grant--"Aranjuez" and "Street Life" have swapped places on the new CD. Since new mixes of "Rotation" and "Aranjuez" appear at the end of the CD, it may have been resequenced to keep the two versions of "Aranjuez" further apart.

Attached Files:

11. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

In terms of sequencing "Aranjuez" and "Street Life" look to have been switched around, with alternate versions of "Rotation" and "Aranjuez" tacked on at the end. (Edit: Hmm, looks like Rudy beat me to it!)

Either way, I'm glad to see this great jazz- and funk-influenced album be available again. Nice to see the Alpert reissue series move along. :thumbsup:

12. Grant

Not only that, I see Rotation is now #4 instead of after Rise.

Should be interesting to hear, because many albums were resequenced to make them fit evenly on the sides of the vinyl LP. With the CD, that restriction goes away.

13. scratchyvinyl

scratchyvinyl Forum Resident

Actually, Rotation (on both my original LP from '79 and CD from '86 or '87) always closed side 1, or was always #4 in the album's track listing.

In any case, I'm totally stoked that this album's getting remastered. It was one of my earliest LPs (that I could actually call my own, and not my parents') and the songs were a big part of my "life soundtrack" growing up in the day. While I had no problems with the sound from the early CD issues (I had two: one from Europe that was silver all the way to the center, and a made in Japan for US) it's always good to hear an old favorite through new technology (and hopefully it sounds better!).

Too bad they couldn't include as bonus tracks the single mixes of both "Rise" and its B-side "Aranjuez." I had that 45, and I remember both single mixes being decent.

Edit: Also just wanted to add... so when's "Beyond," the follow-up album, scheduled to get the remastered treatment? Loved that one too.

14. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

All of this is very interesting but how does it sound?

Ed

15. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

:agree:

Achim

16. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I've never heard Rise on CD. Only the BG mastered LP. Time to get this one in digital! Hope they used the analog mix for the CD.

17. Grant

I'm almost certain it was digitally mixed. Someone tell me if i'm wrong.

18. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

From the back cover of the LP:

"All tunes except '1980' were recorded on the 3M-32 track digital machine and transferred to analog for editing."

19. Grant

Thanks. I really didn't feel like digging through several boxes in a closet to find my copy.

20. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

I'm quite surprised that the 12" version of "Rise" didn't make the cut,as this version COOKS!! I guess we'll have to wait until the next CD reissue...:shake: Michael Boyce

21. HGN2001

Reissue credits (along with some original credits):

[​IMG]

Original back cover for original sequence, as reproduced on the new insert's back cover:

[​IMG]

I'm at Old Key West Resort in a one-bedroom "vacation home". (We're Disney Vacation Club members). From what I understand, the large "Villa" accomodations have a stereo in the living area. All we have is a DVD player and two TV's.

Right now I'm playing the disc in my computer with headphones on. Still not hi-fi, but I'm enjoying it! :)

Harry

22. KeithH

We forgive you this time, Harry. Enjoy!

Now, if anyone else has access to a stereo, please let us know how the new disc sounds. :)

23. -=Rudy=-

The 12" single of "Rise" is identical to the album version. The flip side "Aranjuez" has some added whoops and hollers on the album, vs. the 12" single which doesn't have them, but nothing major. (I think I have that right. :laugh: ) This was released on both clear and black vinyl.

"Rotation" was released on 12" single, and it IS a remix/extended version. My copy is on clear vinyl, but I don't know if it ever came out on black vinyl.

The two bonus tracks on this new CD are new mixes made just for this release.

Can't report on the sound myself since I did not get an advance copy of it... :mad:

24. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

Strangely enough, I found this remaster at the Strand bookstore in Manhattan a few weeks ago, certainly long before it was supposed to be released so I have been listening to it for a few weeks. "Rise" is one of my favorite songs and I was pleased to find that I like the rest of the album too and the sound quality is very good. Big thumbs up! :righton:
    I am very curious now to check out more of Herb's late '70s and early '80s output.

25. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I'm happy to see this album reissued on CD at last.:righton: It's hard to believe the prices the out of print A&M CD's have been commanding. If I had known that, I would have bought mass quantities of them on my Polygram employee discount!!:D

Grant, IIRC the album was recorded digitally then mixed to analog.

I am surprised that they didn't include the 12" version of "Rotation" on the new CD. Love that extended mix with the longer break in the middle and playout at the end. Though the clear vinyl and die cut custom sleeve were a cool idea, that clear vinyl can be a tad bit noisy. Not sure here either if A&M ever pressed a black vinyl promo of "Rotation" since I've never come across one. The label did press the commercial 12" for "Rise" both on clear and black vinyl.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.