Herbie Hancock Thrust - AF SACD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TarnishedEars, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the 2016 Music Direct catalog I was very surprised and also excited to see that they were listing a release of the Herbie Hancock album Thrust. It is one of those SACDs which also contains the quad-mid, so it is a double bonus!

But then when I wend to MD's website, I could find no sign of this release whatsoever. Furthermore when I go to AF's website, I see nothing listed under either current or upcoming releases.

Is this just another case of the semi-fictional nature of the MD catalogs? I had previously thought that the fiction was limited to their own Mobile Fidelity releases. So this is the first time that I have seen this issue with an AF release.

Does anyone know if this release is planned or not? Could MD have accidentally let the cat out of the bag before they were allowed to? I really hope that this is not fictional because this album is a favorite of mine.

fredblue likes this.
  2. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I would get this for sure (although my system is stereo only), it's my favourite Herbie Hancock album on Columbia.

If the SACD doesn't get released, the currently available hi-rez download (same mastering as the Herbie Complete Columbia CD box set) also sounds very good, much improved over the 1998 CD release.

http://www.findhdmusic.com/album/thrust-herbie-hancock/1514

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just looked at my 2016 Music Direct catalog and sure enough there is the Herbie Hancock Thrust 4.0 SACD listed. I missed that one when I first looked at the catalog. Nice find :)! I hope it does get released.

Bill

fredblue likes this.
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

fredblue and Plan9 like this.
  6. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

7. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

I'm bumping this as I would like to know who did the mastering, as well.

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio did the mastering of Thrust AF SACD.

Bill

George P, fredblue and SteelyTom like this.
  9. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Mine copy arrived today, just started spinning it ... my god, those string synths at the end of Palm Grease sound glorious :)

4.0 Analog to Hi Def DSD Digital Transfer by Gus Skinas, Stereo CD & SACD matered by Kevin Gray.

For the record, I only listen in stereo but Saturday I will take it along to a friend of mine to check out the 4.0 ... He just upgraded his sound system so am eager to hear both that and this ...

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks for the review. Looks like another winner from Audio Fidelity. I will receive my copy from Amazon tomorrow. :)

fredblue likes this.
  11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I received the Thrust AF SACD this week and really enjoyed the 4.0 mix :). I enjoyed the music quite a bit as well.

Bill

Hymie the Robot and fredblue like this.
  12. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

It's the best I have heard the album. I am praying that Audio Fidelity also does Sextant.

13. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Can anyone who may have (heard) both speak to the AF vs. the 96kHz/24-bit version of "Thrust" currently available via Pono and HDTracks? I think what's for sale on Pono is a high-res version of the 1998 remaster?

14. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I already have the MFSL Man Child which I like a lot, song-wise and sound-wise. I don't know Thrust. If you know Man Child and Thrust, how do these albums compare?

I like Herbie's Blue Note music and have the greatest hits CD from the early 80's. I didn't like Sextant, Magic Windows, Future 2 Future and Posibilities. But do love Monster, Mr. Hands, Future Shock and River. Do I need Thrust too? ;-)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Yes you need it. Headhunters, Thrust and Man Child make a nice trilogy.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. Yost

Okay, I believe you! :righton:
    …and it was only $20.03 on ImportCDs.com.

17. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Good SACD. The quad mix is particularly enjoyable but the stereo version is no slouch, either. Well-worth grabbing for HH fans.

Mr. Explorer and fredblue like this.
  18. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

OK halfway through the 4.0 (just finished the Cobham). Another great surround sound jazz fusion release. On the same day. Unreal.

So for this one I only have the previous CD to compare, but I have to say that this is one of the most organic sounding digital discs I've ever heard. It is tremendous. I have every hope from what I've seen recently that we may be entering a period where the original quad recordings are going to be reissued by companies like Audio Fidelity.

I have bought, and will continue to buy, every one that is issued. It blows me away that this is happening and although I know that different people have different opinions on the value of these quad reissues, I plan on voting with my $$$ for what I like.

Thanks again to the whole crew that makes these releases possible, I really enjoy them.

19. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

I'm really enjoying Thrust and I hope that AF releases more of the wonderful quad titles, but I wish they would step up their game when it come to their graphics.
    The back cover of the album (in the booklet) is a bad scan with a moiré pattern and the disc graphics are like a cdr.

I know I shouldn't be picky because the music is so good, but I'd like to see more care taken with the graphics.

20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I agree with this one hundred percent and have been thinking the same for some time. For such good music and a premium product the packaging on AF discs is maybe the worst I have seen and a big disappointment. The graphics are cheesy, the paper is thin and poorly printed, and they seem to use the cheapest flimsiest jewel cases available! Many arrive new with cracks, I believe because they are so cheap. It makes me appreciate the packaging of the old DCC discs even more. Thick, glossy, beautifully printed paper with lift lock jewel cases to go with the warm and excellent sound. My favorite packaging is the Super Jewel Case as used by Analogue Productions. That is a high quality solid case. I have never had one break on me. I prefer it to Mobile Fidelity's cardboard packaging as well, but at least those are nice to look at.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. Yost

Given the quality of the music on the disc, I don't really care for the quality of the artwork. And even cheap jewel cases are better than those nonstandard MFSL cardboard sleeves that don't fit in my storage system.

Let's not forget that DCC went out of business. If cheap artwork and cases is how Audiofidelity stays in business, I'm okay with it.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  22. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

When buying physical product, I very much care about the artwork and quality of the materials. In this case (SACD) having the media is obviously necessary for surround/DSD playback, but otherwise why buy a reissue you can hold in your hands if it's vastly inferior to the original?

At the same time, I champion spending most (if not all) time, resources, and $ on fidelity, not anything else.

It's not the right thread for this, buy maybe AF will consider high-res, etc. downloads in the future? Especially if the physical product is subpar.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  23. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I agree with you I am not a big fan of the cardboard sleeves. Really wish Mobile Fidelity had stuck with the Super Jewel Box, I only have one of their older SACDs before the cardboard packaging, that being Pat Martino "East". The Super Jewel Box looks and feels way better and of a higher quality than either the cardboard sleeves or cheapo standard flimsy jewel cases.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree. I've purchased the majority of their Surround releases as well, even though 98% of the time I listen to the stereo mixes because my stereo system sounds better than my HT setup.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree 100% with you that AF's artwork and jewel cases are very poor. I've received many AF discs with cracked jewel cases and missing spines that hold the disc in place.

Awhile back I received a Grover Washington Jr. Winelight SACD. When I opened the case the disc was sticking up and I pressed down on it to seat the disc properly. Well the disc wouldn't seat properly because there was a piece of the jewel case that broke off under the disc. When I pushed down on the disc it put a nice mark in the brand new disc :rolleyes:! I think AF should use much better jewel cases than what they're presently using. How much more would it cost, $1 a case? I'd gladly pay the additional cost for Super Jewel cases.

Just look at the artwork and jewel cases used by Analogue Productions and the difference is obvious. I like the MOFI cardboard packaging as well.

Bill

Mr. Explorer and Bgf1973 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.