Here we talk about: Lewis - L'Amour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebunk, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

The vibrato sounded off-putting to me initially, but later I feel like it is just a unique singing style. Adds nicely to the mood of the album.
    Love how everybody gets the Lynch moods. Perfect!

2. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

Yeah, Im sure those "European" albums will show up any day. Or that Lewis was dead after all.
    When we get word that Lewis is recording new material, then we shall see. I think it will happen.

3. I gotta say... I came here for the Lewis, but I'm sticking around for the Goobay. This is the best thread on the internet.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  4. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

He is something else.

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

He is paid by Lewis people ;)

6. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

He IS Lewis.

drasil and Dudley Morris like this.
  7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

After reading all the hype is this album actually any good, our local store had a copy of the lp in it when I was in this morning, so I picked it up, if its any good I'll play it, but if not I might just flip it...

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

You'll flip it without actually listening to it?

I think L'Amour is really good. Romantic Times is more of a mixed bag, a few tracks don't work for me. They are not your average Pop records.

9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

if you're not into exploring music, then no. it's not good.

if you are, then man you're in for a ride.

10. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I got sent a link for the download and it didn't work at all. I guess it's because I checked out as a guest. I'm going to have to call them tomorrow (they were closed due to Labor Day today) and see about a new d/l link.

11. Neonbeam

F.I.N.A.L.L.Y.! Walked into a record store today (to pick up the new Interpol btw ;)) and....BANG!... there it sat! "L'Amour" as "Subscriber edition on mysterious grey color wax"! 18,95€! Whoever made this up really managed to make finding a new, just released record seem like picking up a holy grail. The shock I felt when I saw it. Almost ridiculous;)

Bryce likes this.
  12. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member Thread Starter

Ah, very nice. Very cool record, hopefully you enjoy it (if you have not heard it yet).

On another note, it is weird how these re-issues are already becoming hard to find. I just hope those that pick it up at least give it a listen and not just flipping it (not insinuating that you Neonbean are doing this at all by the way, just mean in general).

13. Neonbeam

I've read so much about it that flipping it would be foolish. At the moment Ebay has copies for the regular price but some guys on Discogs are already going over the top. It's far too soon for that and if you check Ebay for "sold items" you'll see that there is not a single LITA copy of "L'Amour" that went for big money. So...no need to flip:)

The "mysterious grey' vinyl looks gre(y)at by the way!

14. thebunk

I agree 100%. I hope it lives up to the hype for you. I jumped on the hype train a touch early though I was not one of the 2009\2010 early adoptors (really never heard of the guy until this year). Even then it was hyped (in certain parts of the net) but it has since gone ever more nuts. It is a very dreamy album, though I have to say nothing on the album touches the the first track (I Thought the World of View) though "I Want to See you Tonight" is very close. After those two tracks the instrumentals are my favorite. i just love the imperfect, "stumbling" chords and notes throughout the entire thing. It gives it a very unique charm and adds to the heartbreak feeling even more so (for me anyway).

15. Neonbeam

Oh God! So this is it? No offence but after one spin all I hear is a bit of sentimental guitar backed by a fairly pedestrian synthesizer and a singer that somehow isn't able to open his mouth properly. I found this REALLY boring and amateurish, sounds like your typical private pressing.

After all the hype I definitely will give this another chance but my first impression is...well...not good;) Since my copy had two download cards I gave them to two friends...let's see if they think I'm taking the p**s when they hear "L'Amour"...

D.B. likes this.
  16. thebunk

Ha h
    Ha ha, no worries and yeah, the hype on this album has grown so much that it is tough to meet expectations.

All I can say if "I thought the world of you" does not click with you at some point, then the rest of the album surely will not either. May I suggest to try it again:

- After some medicinal, um, help.
    - Late at night with a nice scotch or glass of wine (beer really does not suit Lewis).
    - Sunday morning with a nice cup of coffee, preferably when it is cloudy, rainy and foggy out.

Regardless, I am sure you will not lose much money if anything on this purchase.

Neonbeam likes this.
  17. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Its on Spotify, you could have previewed it first without buying it on spec :confused:. Had a listen earlier , ok but nothing special.

18. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Has anybody gotten any word from LITA about the pre-orders? If I recall the website said that L'Amour would be shipping this week, but now there is no date. I pre-ordered before they supposedly decided to stop any further printing, but I was also charged.

19. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

You know what song blew my mind? Love Showered Me.

EasterEverywhere and thebunk like this.
  20. thebunk

Yeah you are right, great track. It is weird, the effects are dated, yet the song does not feel like it is and it all works out. And yet again, those imperfect piano chords own everything,

21. Neonbeam

Same here. After I played it two times I totally don't get it. I don't like the artwork either. This all seems very amateurish and not in a good way.

22. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

The "artwork" is bloody awful! Tacky 80s at its worst.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  23. thebunk

You guys are crazy, the artwork is perfect and captures the music perfectly.

On first glance, someone can say it is cheesy or what not and hey, that is their opinion. For me, it captures the 80s portrait/headshot theme but there is a dreary, hazy dreaminess with its gray background. Add the perfect good looks and shirtless look adds another layer. It is a like a cliche album cover but in a dream like, David Lynch way.

GentleSenator likes this.
  24. Neonbeam

Well...that is the thing: I'm not sure if all these things are looked into this album by people that are mystified by the mistery sourrounding it. The truth might be simpler: Con man tries his hand at making music to the best of his abilities, the whole project sinks like a lead zeppelin. For a VERY good reason;)

Fast forward and suddenly everything is transformed by mistery loving music connoiseurs;) What once was incompetence and limitation suddenly seems like a method.

I will play this again but at the moment I'm thinking Lewis has conned us all in more ways than one;) This whole comparisons with Badalamenti....Jesus!

Lost In The Flood and D.B. like this.
  25. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I think Neonbeam is on the right track here. I'll be honest, the first time I heard a Lewis track, it was Love Showered Me, and I really liked it; mainly because I enjoy music that makes you feel sorta melancholy, and a lot of what L'amour is, is exactly that. It isn't something you toss on when you want to party.

Part of it for me initially was the intrigue. I don't think that I would've given 2 craps about if I hadn't read the story in Mojo. So I went, listened to some stuff on YouTube, and it became this mystery, like 'Man, this guy showed up out of nowhere, put this stuff on tape, and just vanished!'. And I do like the idea of a guy making a record, pretty much just for his own pleasure. I mean, I'm pretty sure he knew that this wouldn't sell, he just had to get it out.

And, let's face it, music fans and journalists, just like everyone else, can get caught up in hype. I can see where some people could think that this was some sort of scam on the part of LITA. However, the tracks have been up on YouTube for a few years, and it isn't like this album was gonna make LITA a lot of money. How many copies do you think it's sold?

That's not to say that there's not people out there that don't really enjoy it; thebunk is obviously a fan! And I really like about half of it. I just think it's an interesting little album, nothing more or less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.