Hereditary - 2018 Horror Film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Jan 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    RickH and ScaramangaFran like this.
  2. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Looks very interesting. Also, according to RT (with 16 reviews listed), it has a 100% rating: Hereditary

3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Looks cool..will check it out.

4. Veech

I thought The Witch was creepy as hell, this is from the same producers. Apparently it got rave reviews at Sundance 2018.

Solaris, Tim S and EVOLVIST like this.
  5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Both my mom and I make that, 'NUTHT!' -sound!
    She does it more than me, but... it certainly COMES from her!

6. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Damn, the trailer gave me chills.

7. I read an article about this film which basically dogged The Witch, saying not to expect much from Hereditary.

I loved The Witch, so this one is a must see.

Scotian likes this.
  8. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I would probably see this just cause it has Toni Colette - I don't know if a better actress has ever been in a pure horror movie (ok, I take it back because of Ellen Burstyn).

Are we finally living in an era when horror is going to feature quality acting, actual stories and characters and creative and original scripts? I sure hope so, I've always wanted this to happen. I realize for every one of these great horror films there's going to be probably 30 or 40 that are utter garbage, but I can live with that if we can get more and more like "The Witch," "It follows," "Let the right one in," "The Babadook,"or "Get out."

We can always hope, right?

9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Horror is my favorite Genre for Movies(at least for Quality Horror Movies) along with Organized Crime and Mystery/Thriller Genres, so count me in to check this one out. I missed out on 'The Witch', so will need to catch it some time in the near future(streaming or wait for it drop to a low price on Blu-Ray, as I bought 'Get Out' from Best Buy for only $5 a day before Thanksgiving as they had certain Blu-Ray Movies selling a few days early for their 'Black Friday' Sale). The last great Horror Movie I saw in a Theater was 'Let Me In'(then I bought the Swedish Original Movie, 'Let the Right One In' on Blu-Ray and loved both versions).

acemachine26 likes this.
  10. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

Just watched Let the Right One In last night and loved it. The most refreshing and original take on the vampire genre in my opinion. I had no interest in watching the Hollywood remake since those are usually vastly inferior to the originals but your comment has got me interested. Im also a huge horror fan, especially psychological horror although its one of those genres that's hard to pull off. I've stopped watching newer Hollywood horror releases completely since they follow that same formula of overtly sexual teens in some unknown place. Any horror films that you recommend?

11. Veech

If you haven't seen The Witch, check it out. Creepy, atmospheric, unsettling. That goat...

12. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

'Audition'-Japanese Horror Film

vince likes this.
  13. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Am I the only one not seeing what the fuss is about with that trailer?

14. acemachine26

Seen it, great pick though.

15. acemachine26

Yeah I don't see the appeal either. I've seen quite a few trailers that look like this. The trailer for the film Unsane is much more interesting to me.

16. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Now THAT is much more interesting!

acemachine26 likes this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Looks quite freaky. But I would have been much more excited if it had been from the DIRECTOR of the "The Witch." I loved "The Witch." Unsane looks like one of those movies with a clever twist that I will get bored waiting for. And is there any reason for someone like Steven Soderbergh to shoot an movie with phones, except for the pure annoying novelty of it?

18. Veech

yeah, shot on iPhone.. what's up with that?

19. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Figure I should bump this due to the critical acclaim and hype that this film is garnering.

I don't know about you guys, but I am seriously excited for this film.

Apparently, they played the trailer by accident before a screening of Peter Rabbit, scaring the daylights out of some children. If it were my kid, I would likely also be outraged, but since it isn't, I think it's quite funny.
    Children flee cinema after seeing trailer for 'year's scariest film'

RickH likes this.
  20. moops

moops Senior Member

Let Me In is well worth the effort. :thumbsup:

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I prefer the American version, it touches on perversion more than the original.

22. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Catching it on Sunday. By all accounts, Toni Collette gives an extraordinary performance. I can’t wait.

23. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

I saw this last night, and I will not spoil anything but I will say:

• After the movie ended, my friend and I turned to each other in absolute shock. 100% not what we were expecting.
    • The hype is accurate. This movie is one of the best-directed horror films I've seen that has come out in the past 20 years.
    • The cinematographer deserves an Oscar nom. The framing of shots is some of the best I've seen. You don't know if what's happening on screen is intentional as a result of the frame or if it's just in your head.
    • This movie does not shy away from what it could shy away from. You have been warned.
    • Fear is subjective and not everyone will be scared by this movie, but for me it was one of the most cathartic, terrifying horror experiences I've ever had in a theater.
    • The performances are all top-notch. Toni Colette and Alex Wolff are Oscar worthy. Genuinely
    Extremely pleased and excited for other forum members to see it. I don't want to overhype it but it is certainly worth your time.

24. I'll try to catch this one.

25. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Anybody else seen this? I am tempted to actually go to the theater for this one . . . despite several recent disappointments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.