Hey, are there MOVIES on Netflix?!?!? And why is it such a pain to search?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by head_unit, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

Wanted to watch an actual [non-documentary] movie to stream on Netflix at my brothers. We were scrolling through, and try to search "Clint Eastwood" etc, and had a heck of a difficult time to find actual movies. Finally settled on Wind River which I rather liked and bored him to sleep.

In the DVD days, I had a huge queue and when I'd click on one movie on their site it would suggest other stuff like that. The streaming site (well, app actually) just gives me finite rows of stuff, almost all of it TV and many of the movies actually documentaries. And is there really truly no way to BROWSE by genres? i.e. Action or Dramas, and most of all NOT TV?!? I feel like I must be missing the boat. o_O

What alternative sites are better for movies? And/or easier to search? I do use Amazon Prime sometimes since at least you can rent *some* stuff, but titles I want to see like Transporter 2 or whatever aren't on either site. I'm open to considering monthly subscription but more like reasonable rental fee.

Gumboo and bluesbro like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I search by letter...I get more choices that way it seems...but, I may be crazy.

3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

There's a little movie tab at the top of the Netflix desktop site. Not sure about apps on television or personal devices. But in any event, you can hit the movie tab and search, find what you like and add it to your queue, and the movie will be there when you access Netflix on any device.

Edit: I just checked the app on my phone, and yeah, the movie tab is there as well. So happy hunting!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah its a pain to search for movies and they really are kind of lacking well they all are for me (I like old movies)

MortSahlFan, Jimmy B., 905 and 4 others like this.
  5. woody

woody Forum Resident

Old movies are very few on Netflix. They will have them listed in the Classics section of movies, best searched while signed in on computer. They have had some Orson Wells movies recently, likely to promote their release of his movie.

Amazon has a better selection of free old movies but they can be hard to find, also. Their list is best searched on ‘puter, also. Watched Plan 9 from Outer Space the other week and Rock and Roll High School last month, for example.

Hulu has some older films but not a lot since they lost Criterion. Filmstruck has nearly all old titles, I think, but some here reported buffering issues. Don’t know if that is really an ongoing problem or was user issue, etc, as I have not used it.

The TCM app is a decent source if it is available to you. Unfortunately, they said my Hulu live tv subscription which includes TCM did not support app access.

head_unit likes this.
  6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

If you have a recent Apple TV, you can just press the remote "Show me Clint Eastwood movies" and get good search results from Netflix.

head_unit and Yovra like this.
  7. arley

arley Forum Resident

Tubi is worth a look if you have a streaming device. I use Roku to access it. Lots of movies for free (but, of course, with ads). Lots of different genres, foreign films (recently watched Nosferatu the Vampyre with Klaus Kinski, and Diva, which has been described as a popcorn movie for intellectuals).

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It's a shame they took away the audience ratings, but I guess having a half a catalogue of "one star" movies wasn't good for their image.

9. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

We do not even stream Netflix anymore because they have their best movies on the snail mail DVD/BR plan. Around $8 a month.

10. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

yes their better movies are DVD only so we also have the one DVD at a time plan.

Their streaming interface is.... well not awful but not to my liking. I've thought about putting netflix on my tablet and using that control it, and then stream it to my TV... would be easier than this horrible Samsung remote we have with practically microscopic controls and buttons

Didnt work because the TV isnt on wi-fi, its hot-wired in direct with an ethernet cable from the router for better connection. Oh well.

if theres another way...... anybody have any ideas?

head_unit likes this.
  11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I like that Xfinity syncs up with your Netflix account which makes searching easier so if you search by say an actor all of their movies that are On Demand for cable and for Netflix.

12. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Netflix does this on purpose because their movie selection stinks.

Isn't it Amazing how many "recommendations" just HAPPEN TO BE "Netflix Originals" and/or shows Netflix has partnered with??

Netflix is not a streaming movie service - they're HBO with different original content. And much harder to find movie listings.

13. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

How about buying a $100 Blue-ray player - hook it up with a cable between your TV and internet router - and use its Netflix connection? Then you are streaming Netflix through the player. That's what I did before getting a smart TV.

vegafleet likes this.
  14. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

we already have that... but the remote is, again, a samsung with the tiny controls. Ha! I guess we're hosed.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The studios and networks are slowly pulling a lot of their content away from Netflix so they can own their own streaming services. Disney's next year will be a big one. As a result, Netflix is spending $8 billion dollars this year for new films & TV shows, which is more than any other studios' budget (in fact, more than 2 studios).

16. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

I have the amazon fire tv box and you can search using the remote where you say the movie title into it.

it is usually pretty good and also works if you say a director or actor name etc. but occasionally it will think you are asking alexa about a movie rather than searching for it. I have no idea what triggers this but it is really frustrating to say a movie title than alexa says X was a movie made in 1983. "ok alexa can I watch the damn thing!?"

head_unit likes this.
  17. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

And that will not be sustainable. A train crash that I enjoy watching.

head_unit likes this.
  18. Michael

It doesn't matter to me...I watch movies for me not what other ppl think of them...negative reviews doesn't sway me if I'm interested...

Tree of Life and head_unit like this.
  19. Netflix has less movies streaming than before (especially those that actually played in a theater). The streaming originals have increased as have their original movies and documentaries. I'm surprised that CBS still allows the various Star Trek variations on there.

head_unit and Michael like this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Netflix pretty much bankrolled Discovery and they have an international streaming deal with CBS, so I don't find that very surprising.

Robert C and head_unit like this.
  21. Michael

I have a hard time finding anything on Netflix, although I am new to it...was it ever great?

MortSahlFan and head_unit like this.
  22. Audiophile65

Audiophile65 Well-Known Member

This is exactly why I am 110% in support of physical media. Especially Criterion Blu-ray. 'Nuff said.

ClassicalCD and head_unit like this.
  23. Michael

when are they coming as I have not seen any?

head_unit likes this.
  24. Michael

agree...not at anyone's mercy or movie choices...I have a wonderful library that suits me just fine..

head_unit likes this.
  25. It was better when it came to movies. The interactive menu has gotten worse.

Gumboo, head_unit and Michael like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.