Hey, are there MOVIES on Netflix?!?!? And why is it such a pain to search?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by head_unit, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adad

adad Forum Resident

head_unit, MikaelaArsenault and RayS like this.
  2. My guess is that we'll see a lot of streaming partnerships between studios (maybe 2-3 'big' studios per partnership, plus a few indies).

head_unit likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

not interested, but I guess that's cool...

head_unit likes this.
  4. Michael

...I couldn't be bothered. : )

head_unit likes this.
  5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

All those years later and people still don't use instantwatcher.com to find things to watch on Netflix?

6. Michael

Hey! I'm going to try this! Thanks...

Synthfreek likes this.
  7. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Netflix was the test rat to find out how much renters were willing to shell out to see relatively cheap licensed product. As Netflix scrambles to hold onto their success while living on product that they did not create. They try the Sony Playstation approach of whoring their platform out to anyone that will shove mediocre ideas for the sake of keeping quantity flowing. Of course Sony had backup in a million different ways.

Now that this model has shown cracks with growth slowing down and shares falling they pledge to double their huge spending hoping to compete with the big boys that took well over half a century to produce superior product.

In a world where independents like Twilight Time, Criterion, Arrow, Shout Factory...etc. are smart licensing and using their money to create exclusive content that supplements the art, Netflix has lost A titles and has vowed to compete with the big boys head to head while using inferior TV shows to movies as their prop.

Of course the big boys have their own money to support their own tv shows as well and the renters will continue to feel the squeeze of the multiple stream services they help create.

I will sit back with popcorn in hand and listening to the naysayers say it is not so (while insulting me the messenger) while continuing to refuse to spend the majority of my money on stuff that might as well be air that has no value beyond the wasted time spent on inferior work. When Netflix presses to disc I am all in (like Marvel). When they undercut with stream only exclusive bull, I will laugh at them and watch them hurt...even Soros can't stack the deck forever....or at least will stack the deck somewhere else.

This is not to say that I am putting down renters and the ability to vote what services decide to stay or go. Keep shelling out that money every month. They need that info to decide what next to release for archive.:righton:

MichaelXX2 and head_unit like this.
  8. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

There is always the search button for movies that aren't listed when you log in. I've found a few movies that I wanted to watch that way.

I do have lots of problems with Netflix. Someone needs to fix the recommendation algorithms. Just because I watch one Indian (Asia) movie doesn't mean that I want to watch all of them :realmad:. If I don't watch all of a movie/program because I don't like it, there should be an easy way to remove it from the Continue Watching list without losing my rating :cussing: and avoid receiving more inane recommendations. But still, there are more movies/programs than I have allocated time for. :righton:

head_unit likes this.
  9. arley

arley Forum Resident

To remove unwanted stuff so it isn't used for recommendations, sign into Netflix. Hover over the down-pointing arrow in the upper right of the home screen and a drop-down menu appears; select Account. When the account screen comes up, scroll down to the My Profile section and click on Viewing Activity. Your history will come up. Look to the right of each program on the list and you'll see a circle with a diagonal slash. Click on the circle next to the unwanted items and it will remove those items from your history and the algorithm won't use them to make recommendations any more.

wolfram likes this.
  10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

Oh wow, I'll jump right on that!! :rolleyes:

11. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

Wait, shouldn't this be in the Music sub-forum? :laugh:

12. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Glad I still own my favorite movies on DVD.

SandAndGlass and John B Good like this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You're just making stuff up. Here are some facts for the first quarter of 2018:

Overall revenues reached $3.7 billion in the quarter, up 40% year-over-year (YoY), a company record and an acceleration versus 33% growth in Q4 2017.

In Q1, Netflix added 7.41 million net subscribers, up 50% YoY, a new Q1 record for the company. Of those additions, 1.96 million came from the US, and 5.46 million (73%) came from international markets. Netflix now has 125 million total subscribers worldwide.

Netflix impresses on subscriber growth in Q1

Any company would be happy to have those type of 'cracks'. :rolleyes:

Vidiot likes this.
  14. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

You do realize we are in quarter 4 right? In all your quotes you fail to get with current news.

Netflix plunges 14% after it misses expectations on revenue and subscriber additions

Winter is coming fans.

Third quarter report 10-16. Want to place some bets?

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Right, let's ignore historic and recent company growth rates and trends. Q3 results aren't out yet, but let's see what is the state of play currently:

Netflix's operating margin in Q2 was 11.8%, impressively up from 4.6% in the prior-year period. Such a big jump in the company's operating margin meant its operating income soared 262% year over year. And Netflix's meatier operating margin also played a key role in the company's surging earnings per share, which rose from $0.15 in the year-ago quarter to $0.85.

For Q3, management expects another significant increase in the company's operating margin compared to the year-ago quarter. Netflix guided for an operating margin of 10.5% in Q3, up from 7% in the third quarter of 2017.

Whatever the final earnings results for the quarter show, it's clear that Netflix is in an enviable position. Even with recent price hikes, they continue to pile on new subscribers and increase revenue., which means they can continue to grow the original content production budget (announced recently). This will only strengthen their appeal through an ever expanding content library.

16. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Inviable?

Stock is downgraded, their debts continue to soar, their subscription increase expectations have dropped, and their lincensed assets continue to go bye bye while competition continues to clamp down.

Don't worry...even the blind shall see soon.

I saw it a long time ago, but darn right I live in the now. History has shown that their assets are weak compared to the big studios and they have nothing for back up while they continue to run on steam.

The house of cards will fall and what do these fools do....continue to spend even more money!

How many times have we seen the end of this story.

Wanna talk history. Lets move past a Netflix only world report. Debts with no liquid will kill you every single time.

I mean for crying out loud the company only brings in 20 billion in revenue and they are spending 8 billion??!!

Amazon only has 5 billion spending and has close to 200 billion in revenue. Do you see the problem at all with this picture?

The question will be...how fast will Netflix go bankrupt AGAIN.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  17. You’re just not a true fan.

18. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Netflix could go bankrupt and I'm not sure I'd care all that much. I like the service and watch it all the time, but it's not like nothing would be able to take it's place, including physical media, which I still buy occasionally.

I have no issues finding movies to watch but there have been times I've had to cycle through a lot of movies to find something if searching by genre - but this doesn't strike me as unusual. If I search for the name of an actor, their movies will be listed first followed by movies that are similar in nature...for instance, searching for Will Ferrell will find his movies and then a bunch of silly comedies after that. So also kind of what I'd expect. If I search for a title it will find it, or if it's not on Netflix it will show related titles. Again, seems pretty reasonable. Now, whether the search results are as good as they should be, well, I haven't bothered to investigate that.

Their movies are mostly from 2000 on...I've wanted Netflix to carry more classics but I guess I've accepted that they don't have a big selection of them. I watch movies mostly to be entertained and don't take them too seriously, so I don't mind the selection. Older movies they do not have I'll buy on BR or DVD if I want to see them badly enough.

To echo what I've said on here many times before, for $10 a month I can't complain too much. Good selection and reliable service. Compared to cable TV, that can cost $40 on up to over $100, it's an outright bargain.

I have the JustWatch app. Set the filters (genres you like and min rating on IMDB and RT) and what you get is the films that have been added recently that meet your criteria. I check the app once a week or so to see what's been added and take note of the ones that interest me.

19. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

What gave you that idea?;)

I admit that I missed out on the exclusive Netflix stuffed animal for not doing the elite package...darn it!

20. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

there are other sites like this, too - crazy when free third party websites do a better job than your own site interface o_O

21. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Netflix had their little niche, but in the end it was made from the stupidity of the studios undervaluing their assets.

It had an expiration date from the first inception.

MichaelXX2 likes this.
  22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I was involved in a class action lawsuit with Netflix (free months rental). It might have had something to do with their shipping practices: they kinda slowed you down if you ordered too many discs per month. For an avid movie watcher, Netflix perhaps wouldn't be your best option.

23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

adad likes this.
  24. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Not so crazy when that is the only thing those sites are for. They better be useful.

25. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

MikaelaArsenault and adad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.