Hey, Steve, find out if you can do an LP of this :)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pinknik, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

Jerry Cantrell's new album DEGREDATION TRIP. I really like the music on this album, but the VU's don't move even a little. It is slammed as hard as they can slam it, and I just can't imagine that the slamming wasn't done during the CD mastering. Actually, everybody is remastering old stuff now(over and over and over), but some of the stuff that is gonna need it the most, is brand new. Somewhere down the line it will be nice to have versions of these albums that can BREATH a little. I like most of my cd's fine, but a handul of new ones are just hard to listen to at any volume for an extended period of time. I know this album deserves better, and it probably never will get a fair dynamic shake. Too bad.

Same for:

Weezer's Green Album
    STP's No. 4 and Shagri La Dee Da
    Santana's Supernatural
    Red Hot Chili Pepper's Californication (a great album, to me :) )

and I'm sure many others. I'm beginning to think that aside from brightness, these dynamically squashed recordings are the things that most annoy me ears.

2. mjb

mjb Senior Member

Any sonic differences between the single-disc version and the recent 2-disc reissue?

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

'fraid not. I was hopeful but . . .

Both were mastered by George Marino at Sterling Sound who surely has done better work than this. I suppose either Jerry or his label could have asked for this to be loud as it is.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It's tough for us Audiophile types who try so dilligently to listen to new music. Everything is reduced in sound quality to compressed FM Radio sound. This is really sad for me.

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Is there a way to fix that, Steve? Can a mastering guru remaster something to reveal dynamic range, etc?

6. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Yeah, does anyone make an "uncompressor"?

Althought I suspect that if things have been squashed and limited to the point of clipping, then there's probably nothing you can do about it.

7. sgraham

sgraham New Member

It's practically impossible to uncompress something properly, unless a) the compression ratio is something less than infinity to one (as it seems to be on the latest hard-wall issues) and b) the exact characteristics of the compressor are known. Since (apart from purpose-made systems like dbx) that will vary from one recording to the next, I think we're out of luck on that score.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.