Hey young people! Do you listen to SACD?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by aorecords, Apr 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm just curious if younger millennials or Gen Z'ers are getting into SACD. It seems to me that there has been some growth of users within the past year or so. Two years ago I figured it was probably a dead format.

Thank you for your time.

2. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Nope. I'm mostly a vinyl-listener, with occasional streaming being my choice.

3. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I’m gen x, but I’d assume it’s completely off of their radar.

4. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Most of my work colleagues don't own a single disc, let alone SACD. Heathens!

5. Fruff76

My kids are 12 and 16, none of them own physical media, except my 16 year old daughter has a few records. When I was those ages, it was my life!

timind, siebrand, rem 600 and 2 others like this.
  6. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident Thread Starter

Same here. I guess it's still a pretty significant part.

Fruff76 likes this.
  7. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I think it would be hard for younger people to really get into CDs. They can stream if they want digital music. Hard to compete with that. And if they want physical media, then vinyl(s) would most likely be the go to. Again, hard for an SACD to compete with a colored vinyl album with big artwork and extras.

Prophetzong, timind, Hardcore and 4 others like this.
  8. dreamingtree1855

dreamingtree1855 Filthy vinyl spinning hipster millennial

29 here, which I assume is young for this forum. Big nope for me. I'm a big vinyl guy but for digital might as well stream.

Porkpie, steviej, Leonthepro and 3 others like this.
  9. C10

C10 eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may die

GenX here too, Own some CDs, lots of vinyl, zero SACD, Spotify and Tidal subscriptions.
    Both my kids (9 and 13) have a Spotify subscription with extensive playlist they create, 4 CDs combined, zero SACD and vinyl.

WapatoWolf and Fruff76 like this.
  10. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

Another GenX here - I prefer records for focused listening, and streaming while working (mostly Spotify but I have Tidal lossless too, and a harddrive full of good lossless stuff...). I don't buy CDs anymore, but do have a ton left bought pre 2010. I do have around 10 SACDs but have never listened to them on a SACD player. It just so happens that all Depeche Mode remastered re-issues were originally put out on SACD (+DVD). I don't think I would have bought an SACD back then, I'm more curious now as my sound system has improved over the years...

Porkpie likes this.
  11. Fruff76

I have Violator on SACD but haven’t listened to it in a long time.

Henrik_Swe likes this.
  12. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

That's the only one I don't have. I think it sold out quickly and second editions of all DM CDs were on regular CD.

Fruff76 likes this.
  13. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

gen X here, I own a little over 200 SACDs

14. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Gen X. A few SACDs. May get some more. Find done a while back but they keep creeping back into my inventory - mostly through Mobile Fidelity.

Planning on buying a new disc player this year, which also happens to pay SACDs and DSD files, but not specifically for that purpose.

David P. Hill likes this.
  15. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I would think hi rez streaming has made this format obsolete by most regardless of age.
    Then add in the limited hardware and titles available...
    I'm a big fan, but the format ended just as it was in a position to take off.
    Ask most folks in my area about it and you'll just get a blank look.

PhxJohn, Henrik_Swe, Gregalor and 2 others like this.
  16. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Nope. But I'm a Gen-Xer. I have a bunch of them. Ripped them over 10 years ago on a PS3. I haven't played an actual SACD in at least 5 years. I did listen the DVD-A of Rufused's The Shape of Punk to Come this morning though. My 2008 C300 plays DVD-A in 5.1. Good stuff when you have to be at work at 6:30 in the morning.

aorecords likes this.
  17. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

I am a boomer and I do consider myself an audiophile. I have yet to hear an SACD ! I wanted a player when they first came out but gradually lost interest as no one else I knew had one, the discs were relatively hard to get and expensive. Vinyl had gotten cheap, so I scooped up much of the vinyl I got rid of in the early 80s and 90s.

PhxJohn and Henrik_Swe like this.
  18. Meehael

Meehael Forum Resident

35 and listening mostly to DSD (SACD), which should be the future if you ask me.
    I'm also a Tidal subscriber. I know It's not right but I've downloaded hundreds SACD and DSD albums from Russian torrent sites. I've exported SACDs to DSD and made a media library in JRiver player on PC, which then sends bit-perfect signal over network to my surround receiver that acts as a preamp for stereo music or adds surround channels when listening to 5.1 mixes. Couldn't be happier with setup. Another option would be to omit PC and plug hard drive with music to router. Haven't tried yet.
    DSD sounds better to my ears than MQA or other hi-res formats - more dynamic, smoother, less digital.

[​IMG]

Sterling1, quicksrt and hi_watt like this.
  19. guestuser

guestuser Chillin

Gen X'er here too and I still listen to SACDs and CDs. My first foray into music collecting started around the time cassette tapes were transitioning to CDs and SACDs so the disc format holds some nostalgia for me. However, most of my current collection is digital files on a SSD drive.

WapatoWolf, siebrand and Fruff76 like this.
  20. dreamingtree1855

dreamingtree1855 Filthy vinyl spinning hipster millennial

Here's a bit of my perspective as someone who's in the "No" camp. CDs are kindof appealing to me. My dad has hundreds, and I've randomly grabbed a few here and there at goodwill for $1 which is fun, but with SACDs it's an expensive player and expensive music. With vinyl I'm getting something unique and analog, but with a nice streamer and Qobuz I just don't see getting any upside out of the significant upfront an ongoing investment. I play my handful of CDs on my playstation or in my one car that has a CD player (a 2021 model, inexplicably). I'd even buy a dedicated CD player or transport if I came across a good used on for $50, but I'd do that knowing I could go to goodwill or princeton record exchange and grab a stack of CDs for $10. Not so with SACDs so I just can't see the point, especially considering that the bits reaching my DAC are (theoretically) the same whether I use a hi-rez stream for $18/m or shell out a lot more for SACDs.

Fruff76 likes this.
  21. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

No. But you didn't ask me because I'm a boomer/geezer who stopped at 16/44.1. :)

22. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

Does DSD count?

It is not a physical format, but it uses the same basic recording and playback decoding technology.

If so, I know several 30-ish people that listen to DSD.

If not, ignore this post.

Carlox and jusbe like this.
  23. nwdavis1

nwdavis1 Forum Resident

I’m 40.
    I have about 150 SACDs. I’d buy more if there were more I wanted.
    I mostly listen to CDs and LPs, no streaming.

24. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Vinyl isn't cheap anymore! Those days are long gone...

Nakamichi, Henrik_Swe and aorecords like this.
  25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Growth with SACD? Not that I've noticed. The format seems to be on life support with only Japan and a few specialty labels keeping it alive.

shaboo, Upstateaudio, PhxJohn and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.