Hi-end headphone amps - alternatives?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Doug Walton, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi - I'm currently evaluating a Benchmark HPA4 headphone amp.

I like a lot. A LOT. I'm driving it via a Benchmark DAC3 HGC, and it sits in front of a Benchmark AHB2 power amp. Senn HD800S HPs complete that picture.

But the HPA4 costs a LOT - $3K (at least that's a lot for me). That part I don't like. :) But the HPA4 has some pretty impressive performance numbers, and it delivers some amazing sound.

I would love to hear some suggestions for higher-end headphone amp alternatives that you think I should be considering in the "up to $3K" price range - alternatives that you think would offer comparable performance/value compared to the HPA4. Balanced audio inputs/outputs are required, and I'd prefer a balanced headphone output as well. Remote control is a definite want as well. Not looking for tube amp solutions - I want to keep the audio chain as uncolored and clean as possible all the way to the AHB2 and speakers.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  2. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I haven't personally used any of these, but I often see Audio-gd and the ifi iCan Pro in that $1k+ range. Not saying they are best, but generally well regarded.

3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

rodentdog and John Buchanan like this.
  4. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Aren't those headphones outputs?

[​IMG]

5. Doug Walton

Yes. Yes they are.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I own the original SPL Phonitor 2730B - flawless performance since day 1.

Phonitor 2 – SPL

[​IMG]

displayname and John Buchanan like this.
  7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

What's wrong with them?

Jimi Floyd likes this.
  8. Doug Walton

Nothing.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  9. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I have an Audio GD Master 9 and like it very much. Do some homework on it, especially what Dr. Kevin Gilmore had to say. Built like a tank, about 30 lbs, doubles as a preamp.

displayname likes this.
  10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I know, I'm just reinforcing Deuce66's suggestion.

Metralla likes this.
  13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

…..and I'll third that, as I use an original Phonitor to power the Beyerdynamic T1 Gen. 2 phones. Nice iron grip on the phones and beautiful and tank-like construction. I guess I was lucky to get it new for AUS$1000. There are plenty of models available without all the Phonitor's bells and whistles (the Auditor model).

14. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Have you tried the balanced outputs* from the DAC3HGC? You can use dedicated balanced headphone cables, or just use some HOSA adapters to try it. It is different than the front headphone outputs. Depending on your gain setting the output impedance will vary (see manual), & thus the flavor may change a bit (although not so much with the high-impedance Sennheisers).

*I think you are driving your speaker amp from those outputs, but if you decide you like it, you might be able to pick up a used DAC1 or DAC2 for use as a headphone amp.

displayname likes this.
  15. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

I have this too, with HD800 balanced. It does not have a remote though.

Some amps feature crossfeed if you are interested in that. I tried it but quite frankly didn't notice any difference, both in what I heard and in fatigue levels.

I'm also not sure if the balanced output aspect of a headphone amp offers anything. I was taken in by the concept but ultimately it just seems a way of increasing the power driving the headphones, so my guess is that a single jack plug with double the power will improve things just as much. It's so difficult to make a judgement because it involves changing cables etc..

The headphone cable itself does make a difference too. I used one from Toxic cables originally but now use a Cardas Clear which was noticeably better (and more expensive!) - more clarity.

If you enjoy the Benchmark so much I suggest you just accept the price and look at it as an investment.

16. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

17. Doug Walton

To wrap this up - I will be enthusiastically keeping the Benchmark HPA4. After about 10 days of frequent use and burn-in, I am quite in love with what it delivers via my Senn HD800S, and how well it integrates into the rest of the Benchmark stack.

Game over.

displayname, PATB and johnnypaddock like this.
  18. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

maybe try the iFi Pro Ican. love mine!

19. Doug Walton

No - maybe not. I'm done shopping and evaluating for now. :)

displayname likes this.
  20. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

enjoy!

displayname likes this.
  21. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

Enjoy it! Although I’m surprised that Benchmark is using a balanced output, I thought they only used 1/4”...

22. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

This is a smart decision. Finding a headphone/amp pairing is not trivial -- you can try them at meets, but meets do not provide ideal conditions. And you can only try them for a limited time. This is not a matter of X amp has good reviews with Y headphone -- what if YOU don't like the combo? Many people in headphone land are in a merry go round trying to find the best headphone/amp combo -- and price/reviews don't mean much in my experience.

You had the opportunity to audition the HPA4/HD800S combo for days in the comfort of your living room. And you liked it! Good decision biting the bullet and just pay the asking price.

displayname likes this.
  23. jsr

jsr Forum Resident

congrats, it takes a lot of time and effort to make the final decision, now just sit back and enjoy

displayname and johnnypaddock like this.
  24. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I've seen some favorable review/impressions of the Benchmark HPA4. I predict it's going to be a good amp for Benchmark for those who can afford/justify it. I hope to get to hear it at some point at a meet or get-together.

The $2K+ price point is where headphone amps get interesting. It's the level where amps can be noticeably better than lesser cost amps. Some can be very noticeably better. It's a fun and interesting level of headphone amps and gear to explore because things can sound really much better. It's also the level where you can get different flavors and styles of sound that are all very good, but also noticeably different. It's also the level where you can get amps that do things like offer smoother sound while also having more micro-detail and nuance than lesser cost amps. With lesser cost amps smoother sound almost always means less micro-detail and nuance. Higher cost amps aren't constrained like that and follow different rules. The higher cost amps and source and gear will also spoil you. Sorry about your wallet.

displayname likes this.
  25. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Especially since Benchmark put out a blog post titled Audio Myth - Balance Headphone Amplifiers Are Better arguing that balanced amps aren't necessarily better. But when you get into the higher cost amps where cost isn't as much of a constraint on design then the rules can change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.