Hi Fi News Test LP-- How 'Idiot Proof'?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Alan G, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster Thread Starter

I am fairly new to the vinyl game and I am trying to make sure my cartridge is set up correctly. I have a few tools [Shure Pressure Gauge, ETM Protractor] but I have been thinking about buying this test disc to properly set up the tracking force and bias. Since I am not too handy with this stuff how tough is the Hi Fi News LP to use? Is the distortion on the antiskating test tones easy to hear or is this something I will pay $50 for only to have it drive me crazy??

I have a Luxman PD 284 turntable with an AT440MLa cartridge.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Alan

Gumboo likes this.
  2. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Haven't tried it yet....

Thinking about doing a test on a bunch of them and possibly grade them in beginner, intermediate and advanced, to answer this very question.

3. intlplby

intlplby New Member

the disc is good for bias.... beyond that, most of the other stuff is pretty standard stuff like phase tests and whatnot that, unless you really borked something should be set right.

4. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Agreed, get it if you want to use the bias (anti-skate) adjustment.

5. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Forum Resident

It's very easy to use for the anti-skate adjustment and I highly recommend it. Using the LP I have virtually eliminated inner groove distortion issues from a variety of turntable/tonearm/cartridge combos. It's money well spent.

Tips:

1. The best tracks to use are the three 300hz tones on side two, tracks 1, 4, and 8. If you hear buzzing in the right channel on any of these, increase anti-skate force. If it's in the left channel, decrease the force. Once all three dial in at the same time you are good to go!

2. In my experience you are almost always better off starting at the cartridge's maximum VTF and using this record to adjust anti-skate settings only.

3. The last four tracks on side one are also anti skate tracks but they are different. Each one progresses to higher and higher amplitude until they are almost impossible for anything to track. This point is very important: They are not a test to try and "pass", per se - they are a means to hear which side srarts distorting first (and to make adjustments accordingly). The last two tracks are really tough to track, so much so that I think one should stick with the side two tracks for better results. One good thing about the side one tracks: They will show you very clearly what distortion you are looking for with the side two tracks.

Don't get obsessive about the HFNRR test record, especially the side one tracks. Use the side two tracks and you will get great results.

Mudflapper, timnor, Shawn and 3 others like this.
  6. intlplby

intlplby New Member

money well spent.... maybe you can share one with somebody else in your area.... since it's not a music disc you probably will only use it every once in a while when you are changing needles

7. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

I use it every time I set up a new turntable or change a cartridge.

8. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

IMO a good arm/cartridge should be able to track the 3rd anti-skate test that's on side 1 well, once everything is setup properly.

floweringtoilet likes this.
  9. MusicMtnMonkey

MusicMtnMonkey New Member

Anyone care to comment on whether it would be better to buy a used Shure "Obstacle Course", some other out of print or used Test LP, or the Hi Fi test LP.

I currently have the CARDAS Sweep and Burn LP. I think it's worth the money, but nothing amazing. I even like the simple speaker test so I can make sure I have my right and left hooked up correctly (yeah this could be done by just being careful with wires but...). The sweep always makes me feel better that my speakers are working as expected. I don't know that the CARDAS LP is really a great alignment tool, nor is it really sold as one...

I was thinking of buying a used Shure LP (rumored to be better than the Hi Fi??). similar to the same vein of the post of looking for the best LP to help tightly dial in the alignments/antiskates, maybe more in the vein of the thread what is the easiest Test LP to use???

10. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

You may also want to look at Analogue Productions' "The Ultimate Analogue Test LP".

11. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I just go this, planned to check it out last weekend but did not get to it, hope to this weekend. Have the Hi-Fi News one and as others have said use it for setting anti-skating bias.

Oyama, Played with the Esperssimo Audio VTF Gauge this last weekend, love it, will post in your thread soon.

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Thanks for the info. Is this in reference to the Hi-Fi News or the Analogue Productions record?

BTW, I did a needle drop of this LP if anybody wants to align their CD players. :D

Pythonman likes this.
  13. Tony Plachy

Jamie, Yes the Hi-Fi News is the one. As to your other comment

:unhunh: :unhunh: :unhunh: :unhunh: :unhunh: :unhunh:

14. MusicMtnMonkey

MusicMtnMonkey New Member

Wow, I hadn't noticed that test LP yet.

Alan G, I hope I am not hijacking your thread to your dismay, you asked about a specific test LP and I posted wider questions (I was bringing up these other test LP's in case someone thought they were easier or better, the Hi Fi is the most expensive test LP mentioned so far, so all of these are in your price range...). Anyone care to share with us which test LP is the easiest or most effective?

15. Alan G

No problem. As an update, I ordered a copy of the HiFi News disc the other night so once it arrives I'll post my thoughts on how 'idiot-proof' it is. It will be interesting to see some comments on the other test discs.

I also posted my initial question on a few other boards and true to my internet experience, some people say it is a great tool and others say it is not needed. Oh well, I'll find out for myself in a few days.

Alan

16. intlplby

intlplby New Member

i picked up an old Fisher test/demonstration disc which is pretty good.... the best part was the special effects of breaking glass and coins dropping.... absolutely amazing clarity and sound.

17. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

I was planning on getting AP’s Test LP and liked the fact that it had two separate tracks (left and right channel output) for the Azimuth Adjustment, compared to the one track (L-R on the same track) found HFN’s LP.

Looking forward to hearing your impression with the new gauge! :)

18. Alan G

Ok, my record arrived today and I am starting to play with it. Now I have a few questions....

Many folks seem to think a little bias goes a long way. So far in order to get rid of the buzing I need to set the antiskate higher than the VTF reading. Could it just be that the antiskate dial is not properly calibrated?

Also, on the track that tests the azimuth, when my preamp is set to mono am I trying to get dead silence or just as little noise as possible?

I am sure I'll have more questions since now I am going back upstairs to drive myself crazy with this thing.

Thanks!

Alan

19. Tony Plachy

Alan, Yes this can drive you crazy, good music and a glass of wine will help. :D

First, I am not familiar with your TT, but yes the anti skating read out on your TT can be off, they often are.

Getting the azimuth right is very imprtant and can greatly effect the anti-sating setting that is needed. Idealy you should get as little as sound as possible. Use what VPI recommends as a starting setting. Find a straight, light weight stick (VPI supplies a hollow aluminium rod) that is about 6 inches long and put it on the top on your tonearm above the cartridge (i.e. on the headshell). Place the tonearm on a record that is on the TT but not playing. Now sight down the tonearm and adjust the azimuth so that the stick is parallel to the record surface. This assumes the stylus is a right angles to the top of the cartridge and thus to the top of the headshell. With this as a starting point it should be easier to set the azimuth with the test record. Hope this helps. :)

20. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I recently used this test record to set up an Ortofon 2m Red on my 1210. I'm getting an AT440MLA soon so thought I'd have a practice on the Red. The test record certainly helped a lot. I discovered that my left channel is louder than my right so adjusted the amp's balance accordingly, set anti-skate as best as I could (the Red passed the first two skate tests on side 1 fine, test three I got right channel buzz [couldn't dial it out even with the anti-skate at 3], and the final test had buzzing in both channels but the cart didn't skip, it passed all three skate tests on side 2). I'm glad I bought the record and I'm looking forward to using it with the AT440MLA when it arrives. If anything, it puts your mind at ease as to the quality of your cartridge set up.

Since using the test disc and its associated protractor I've noticed a slightly better sound overall, slightly less sibilance, and lessening of IGD. I still get some problems (which is why I'm upgrading my cartridge) but it's helpful to know I'm getting the best out of my set-up.

SergioRZ and hvbias like this.
  21. Pierre Dutronc

Pierre Dutronc New Member

And apart from getting a "perfect alignment", how does these test affect the quality of the playback of music? Is there any discernable difference, or is it mainly to increase longevity of the needle?

22. Tony Plachy

Please see my last post just above yours. If you have one channel louder than the other it could be due to the azimuth being off (i.e. the stylus is not perpendicular to the record surface). If this is the case you could have significant wear and damage done to your records.

23. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

As a relative newbie to vinyl (after a 35 year haitus)...I am moving up to a clearaudio performance dc table from a Technics sl-1600 with a Stanton 681eee. The CA Perf. is being shipped to me by soundstage direct and they are installing an Ortofon 2m black cartridge before shipping.
    The CA has a Clarify pivot tonearm and is basically freefloating and held in place by opposing magnets. My Technics had the stock gimbe type tonearm so this is gonna be an adventure to say the least.
    So.....not having any exp. with setting up any type of table, would a test record be of great assistance to me? I have a test record that I got with a "lot" of recored that I bought on the bay a few years back.
    I'm hoping that there may also be done videos out there to help with set-up.... I usually panic at the thought of trying to work with delicate electronics so I'm hoping this goes smoothly

24. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I bought this recently to set up my SL-1200G.

I'll tell you what about it is spectacular - that alignment device that comes with it.

SO EASY TO USE!!!! I had my cartridge aligned in the headshell in two minutes and it sounds great.

Consider you're buying a protractor and the album is just a free bonus.

Shiver likes this.
  25. Tony Plachy

If you bought the new TT from SSD and they are installing the Ortofon cartridge on it you should be good to go, just follow the CA manual for how to place the arm (it may already be in place when you get it). SSD should have done all of the alignment for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.