Hi-Fi Tuning Disk Demagnatizer??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Randy the Hat, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Oh, I see. If you are focusing on changes to the disc, you probably want to check the data somewhere right around the eight to fourteen modulator and before the error checking and correcting circuitry, to rule out ECC effectiveness changes between drives being a factor. I'm not sure if anyone here would argue you are going to get a different result if you are examining a post ECC, asyncronously buffered sampling of the data at the sample rate. I certainly don't believe anyone would see any difference in that experiment.

I think a more interesting experiment would be checking if the changed magnetism of the disc affected real-time playback, but that's a much harder experiment to perform when the goal is hard data.

2. Darksolstice

Darksolstice Forum Resident

and we all hear things differently, it's like when we talk about audio cables around here and all hell breaks loose !!:hide:

robertawillisjr likes this.
  3. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

If, as the suppliers of these demagnetisers claim, demagnetising a disc alters (they say improves) the sound from that disc, surely the reverse must also be true, namely magnetising a disc (by sweeping a magnet across one) will also alter the sound, perhaps for the worse.

Wouldn't that be an easy experiment?

4. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

As I stated earlier, a great number of transports use a magnet to clamp the disc to the spindle. Therefore, if one were to demagnetize a CD as soon as it loads up in the transport it would be magnetized. That is, if there was something in an aluminum CD that was actually magnetic.

For S&G I applied a rare earth magnet to 3 CD's. One all silver, one black faced and one yellow faced. I tried both sides and found that the magnet slid off each time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.