Hi-Res CD (MQA) - Have You Heard Of This?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tony Plachy, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member Thread Starter

Today I got an email from CD Japan that says Universal Music (Japan) has announced Hi-Res CD's (MQA). Here is the exact wording from CD Japan.

"Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the DSD master in 2018, using US original master tapes. The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution (perfect for MQA-enabled audio players). Comes with lyrics and a description. Green color label coating. Comes in a slim case packaging. *The disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this Hi-Res CD."

I have two questions if you have heard of this:

1. Does anyone make an MQA CD player. I guess if you have a CD player (or transport) that will output the digital data stream (assuming it is not restricted as the DSD is on SACD's) that can be fed to an MQA DAC to play these CD's.

2. I have tried to understand the barrage of the so called technical description of MQA in the lasy year or so. As I understand it they handle music frequency content up to 44.1 KHz ( sampling rate of 88.2 KS.p.s. required) by "folding" it under the frequency content out to 22.05 KHz without any aliasing. If the frequency content of the music goes to 88.2 KHz (176.4 KS.p.s. sampling rate required) then it is first folded under the content up to 44.1 KHz with aliasing and the again folded to get it frequency content to 22.05 KHz. According to Bob Stuart (head of MQA) their use of post Shannon / Nyqist digitization and digital processing techniques allows them to correct the impact of the aliasing from the first fold in the time domain.

Now I am not sure if the term 352.8 KHz/24bit means that the DSD data is converted to PCM data that has frequency content out to 352.8 KHz or do they mean the DSD data was converted to the 352.8 KS.p.s./24 bit PCM format ( I do wish that everyone in the audio industry would get it into their collective heads that a Hertz (Hz) is NOT a sample per second (S.p.s.) and using Hz where you mean S.p.s. causes all kinds of confusion). I am going to assume the DSD data (to best of my knowledge MQA can not handle DSD data) was converted to the 352.8 KS.p.s. format which means there can be frequency content out to 176.4 KHz. Thus to get that into an MQA codec will require two folds with aliasing before a third fold to get it down to 22.05 KHz required by the CD redbook standard. Does anyone know if MQA can handle three folds?

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

SinnerSaint and Linto like this.
  3. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

been discussed to death..

Linto, audiomixer and Myke like this.
  4. Myke

That's why I can't believe anyone could miss seeing any of the discussions since 2016.

Linto and ServingTheMusic like this.
  5. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

If you search 'MQA' in audio hardware you will find 33 threads about it

6. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Or just search for “toilet doctor”. I kid you not.

Dave 81828384, Myke and Thoughtships like this.
  7. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

He's right about Toilet Doctor. He bangs on and on about MQA a lot. It's a Snake Oil he's obviously trying to hawk...

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Not quite accurate; with the process appearing specious at best, and its' effects only explained in a way that advertising agencies could buy into...
    it appears it's being "discussed to life". As in, "if we bring it up in public forums and magazines enough times, enough people will believe it's a thing".

Merrick likes this.
  9. Myke

To his credit, when I asked about any improvement over my Who's Next SHM SACD from 2010, he posted publicly that I was already done, as I would have to have a decoder to even hear the slightest improvement, which I don't, with a 2012 Oppo 103.

10. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member Thread Starter

My bad, I thought this would be a music topic so searched the music forum. I will check out MQA in audio hardware.

11. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

It probably will be once people can start doing comparisons between titles and mastering (if indeed this is the case)
    I'm bowing my head out on this one Tony

12. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I ordered the Rock/Pop and Jazz samplers which each give you both formats to compare.
    Will be interesting to check out at a reasonable price.
    Looking at getting Royal Scam as well.

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

We really need to go in this direction? Member Toilet Doctor posts about many formats, not just MQA. He isn't hawking anything.

14. Myke

So you have a player that will decode MQA ?

Coricama likes this.
  15. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I'm sure it's only worth getting titles that have a new 2018 mastering. The other titles based on older masterings will most likely sound near identical.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  16. neil

neil Senior Member

Just received the Traffic John Barleycorn MQA release. . . Don't have a decoder yet, but I listened to the red book 2018 mastering and it sounds pretty identical to the older releases. The HDtracks has a DR of 14 while this release has a DR 10-11.

Neil

SinnerSaint likes this.
  17. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The DR of 10-11 is similar to the original CD and vinyl. Don't think it is compressed but don't have the MQA disc yet. I didn't like the HDTracks mastering regardless of the DR.

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

CD is Redbook (44.1/16 bit). How can it be high res? MQA does not assure Master nor assure Quality!

jacek2 and ServingTheMusic like this.
  19. neil

neil Senior Member

I only mention the new remaster because it states that it is newly remastered 2018 from DSd files, and it's really no improvement in the sound quality from previous reissues and has a lower DR than previous reissues.

McLover likes this.
  20. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Do you have /like SHM-SACD? I think it's pretty good.

jacek2 and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  21. That’s a little harsh on the good doctor. He has an affinity for the format and spends an incredible amount of time comparing, reviewing and uploading pictures of the various Japanese releases on SHM/Platinum/SACD. I respect his opinion and appreciate his contributions. I can’t recall a single instance where he has been critical or disrespectful of anyone. I don’t think he’s trying to ‘hawk’ anything. He is passionate about what he likes and shares his passion. I’m glad he’s here. @toilet_doctor

22. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I wish we could just buy the DSD files as a download.

BGLeduc and Plan9 like this.
  23. This.

24. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

This Hi Fi company, I never heard of, looks to stop researching MQA for their products

EXOGAL MQA

25. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Yes, I have the SHM-SACD and like it. It is from a Jpn. copy tape though. I am hoping the new master will be better.

formu_la likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.