Hi-res Dave Clark Five, five albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by art, Jul 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. art

art Senior Member Thread Starter

Now Available on HDtracks and Prostudiomasters.
    2019 remasters. Anyone heard these yet?

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Just checked them out on the website and it seems they're mostly upsampled! What's the point?

(Tracks 1-24, 27 upsampled to 96kHz/24bit from a 44/1kHz/24bit source.)

3. art

art Senior Member Thread Starter

I was wondering how they sounded. The mastering. Anyway, all are 24 but. Only some songs on the five albums upsampled from 44 to 96.

4. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Now up on standard streaming services. Are we finally about to get a physical reissue campaign?

5. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I really thought that I'd read there were also vinyl editions. Using search, I'm not finding anything here. Am I totally spacing out, ot.............?

6. moomoomoomoo

I've only seen them admit to upsampling on "The Hits". Did one of the retailers id the others similarly? I'm also am curious why they upsampled recordings that were once analog; I have heard speculation that these may be the 2010 I tunes remasters.

7. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

Sadly I have these albums and "The Hits" in 24 and they sound like crap to be honest. I compared them to an earlier cd set, which one eludes me at the moment, and honestly the mastering on these remasters are absolutely terrible. I am not one to hop online as a pretentious snob to nitpick but these masters are loud and terrible. I don't know why there is such a need to add a ton of bloated bass to older recordings. I was honestly very disappointed in these as I was really excited to hear they were coming out. I truly wonder and doubt if these are even "mastered" from the original tapes. I am a fan of their singles but the history of these recordings is just frustrating.

8. Zapruder

Bloated bass? I didn't find that to be the case at all. Have you heard the original LPs/45s? They're plenty bassy, and quite loud.

9. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

I have but these new releases seem to be even louder. At least to my ears. Really just sounded like they took the original digital files and cranked up the sound on them.

10. Zapruder

Huh...I will admit, I did do an a/b with the new Glad All Over and my original mono LP, and was hard pressed to find much of a difference.

11. moomoomoomoo

The upsampling on "The Hits" also seems odd, as these were obviously recorded on Analog.

12. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I just found out about these hi-res and stream releases of the Epic lp's. I really can;t believe they put out the entire 60's Epic catalog. I've only heard mp3s uploaded to youtube but the mastering sounds great, certainly much more high end detail than the Epic mono lp's. Nice to see the entire catalog finally out except there's one problem: most of their lp's are pretty lame with the exception of Try Too Hard and Satisfied With You which are their strongest with some of their best ever album tracks, particularly Try Too Hard. They really were a singles band, pure and simple. Most of their lp's contain the latest hit single and 1 maybe 2 great album tracks and that's a problem: paying $18 or so to get a hi-res lp reissue with only a couple of really great songs on it.
    For whatever reason Try Too Hard lp replaces the song 'Today' with an unreleased but excellent track 'Fallout Shelter'

13. moomoomoomoo

Yep, they are a singles band. A few months back, the released a best of in hi-res, "The Hits". It's available at all of the usual's. I think I paid under $13 for it; it was on sale the first week.

14. John22

John22 Forum Resident

15. moomoomoomoo

I have a really odd but enjoyable version if them doing Neil Young's Southern Man on a boot.

16. moomoomoomoo

I posted quite a bit (probably too much) about the new "All The Hits" (remastered version of last years "The Hits". The new version is an upgrade, but only if you buy the 96/24 version. The 48/24 edition which was also released isn't so good.

It isn't a huge upgrade, but it is definitely an improvement. Same track listing, same DR10. Based on the metadata, "The Hits" from last year wasn't really a 2019 remaster as stated, but a 2008 master, possibly upsampled.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.