Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

Maybe they thought they could make it "louder" with bigger files. :)

BGLeduc and rnranimal like this.
  2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I'd like to hear some more opinions on the Christopher Cross S/T.
    Is it a noticeable improvement over the old WB CD?

3. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

COMING FRIDAY to HDtracks...

Goo Goo Dolls: A Boy Named Goo
    Rancid: ...And Out Come The Wolves
    Jethro Tull: Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young To Die!
    David Bowie: The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
    Miles Davis: The Last Word - The Warner Bros. Years

and many more...

Starwanderer and jfeldt like this.
  4. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

The 192 hi-res version of Black Sabbath's Heaven And Hell is on sale in the Canadian Pono store for a decent price. I've owned the Warner Brothers CD for years. For those of you who have heard both versions, is it worth it for me to spring for the hi res download?

5. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Short answer- Yes. A warmer sound and greater detail.

jfeldt likes this.
  6. Extra Dry

Extra Dry Forum Resident

Let me just say this, You Are A Good Man!:righton:

7. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

This one is a little tough for me to answer...I personally think the Japanese SACD sounds much better, in my opinion, and I realize that means absolutely nothing to you if SACD simply isn't an option, but, understand that it's hard for me to assess the hi-res download without thinking of it in relative terms to the SACD.

That said, if we're talking strictly hi-res download, I enjoy it. I think it's nicely balanced and a fair improvement over the CD, even if a little juiced up...YMMV, of course...

8. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Happy Thanksgiving guys.
    Question that may have been answered, in general, before.
    2015 Astral Weeks remaster; CD is $10, HDTracks 24/44.1 is $21, Pono 24/44.1 $18.
    Regardless of SQ, is there anyway to tell if the download is really native 24-bit?

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, with a bit-meter, if no other modifications were done during the upsampling from 16bit to 24bit.

rnranimal and Dino like this.
  10. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Just to expand on Plan9's answer. Something like a gain change will show on a meter that it's using more bits so there's no way to confirm it wasn't 16 bit sourced at that point. This is why I don't even bother with 24/44. I'm all for having the highest quality available, but with labels and sellers trying to pass off CD res as 96 or 192, even when it's possible for us to prove it's not true hi-res, I don't trust them to be truthful when it can't be proven. I could take any CD, make minor changes and have it read as 24-bit on a meter.

macdaddysinfo, rburly and Dino like this.
  11. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Thanks guys.

12. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

13. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

and this is a different mix/master when compared to the HDttacks set released a few years ago at 24/192, right..?

14. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

PONO DISCOUNT CODE (US only):

Black (&Yellow) Friday Savings!

Aloha! We are excited to offer some top Pono selling albums on sale for a very special low price as well as a discount code for 20% off any music purchase of $50 or more, valid now through end of the day Monday 11/30 Midnight PST!!!

MUSICONLY20BFRIDAY

ALBUMS ON SALE FROM $8.99!

Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color
    Beck - Morning Phase
    The Doors – The Doors
    Fleetwood Mac – Rumors
    Florence & The Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
    Jethro Tull - Aqualung
    Joni Mitchell - Blue
    Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
    Ryan Adams - 1989

tgdinamo and B-Mike like this.
  15. neil

neil Senior Member

Pono has the first seven Todd Rundgren albums in hi-res. Can't get them individually.

16. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

With the sale you can get all 117 tracks for 91 bucks - sounds like a deal to me!

17. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

...and the newly listed ELO Classic Albums Collection for $108 in 192k which averages to about $9.80 per album.

hazard likes this.
  18. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

That is tempting..any consensus on these masterings. I do not have any of the cd pressings with the exception of whatever e-music and amazon were selling as downloads for the past 4-5 years.

19. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I picked up a couple, I enjoyed them at first but the additional compression got to me after awhile, nice soundstage as the Hi-rez offers but at the expense of loud, too bad, I was hoping these would be my go-to from now on, your mileage may very...
    Edit:OOTB seems to be the less messed with compression wise, so you may want to give that one a shot first, the others are more so than the latest remasters unfortunately, a reviewer thought OOTB to be bright, I didn't think anymore so than the other formats, editions etc...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    xj32 likes this.
  20. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

PONO Music
    Black (&Yellow) Friday Savings! Aloha! We are excited to offer a collection of PonoPlayers that are pre loaded with select artists’ complete catalogs, on sale and in limited quantities. Additionally we have some top Pono selling albums on sale for a very special price…and if that wasn’t enough, a discount code for 20% off any music purchase valid now through end of the day Monday 11/30 Midnight PST!!!
    MUSICONLY20BFRIDAY
    www.ponomusic.com

Pre-Loaded PonoPlayers:These Complete Albums Bundle packages contain a 64GB PonoPlayer (Yellow or Black), and the artist’s entire collection of studio albums preloaded on the PonoPlayer and a bonus 64GB Micro SD Card all for one low price!!!

PreLoaded PonoPlayer - The Clash - 5 Studio Album Set This collection contains their 5 studio albums (91 Tracks)All albums are in 96/24bit resolution along with the 64GB PonoPlayer and a 64GB SanDisk MicroSD Card for the special price of $429! Full regular retail on this offer is $494.97, for a savings of over $60.00!!!

PreLoaded PonoPlayer - Simon & Garfunkel - The Complete Studio Albums Collection This collection contains their 7 studio albums (86 Tracks) All albums are in 192/24bit resolution along with the 64GB PonoPlayer and a 64GB SanDisk MicroSD Card for the special price of $469! Full regular retail on this offer is $518.98 for a savings of over $60.00!!!

PreLoaded PonoPlayer - Billy Joel- The Complete Albums Collection This collection contains his 14 studio albums and additional masters (154 Tracks) All albums are in 96/24bit resolution along with the 64GB PonoPlayer and a 64GB SanDisk MicroSD Card for the special price of $489! Full regular retail on this offer is $578.98 for a savings of over $80!!!

PreLoaded PonoPlayer - Grateful Dead - Complete Studio Albums Collection This collection contains their 12 studio albums (103 tracks) All albums are in 192/24bit resolution (with the exception of Built To Last in 16bit) along with the 64GB PonoPlayer and a 64GB SanDisk MicroSD Card for the special price of $529! Full regular retail on this offer is $658.98 for a savings of over $100!!!

ALBUMS ON SALE FROM $8.99!
    Ryan Adams - 1989
    Joni Mitchelll - Blue
    Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color
    Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
    Beck- Morning Phase
    Jethro Tull - Aqualung
    Florence + The Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
    The Doors – The Doors

(Offers are for US customers only)

oneway23 likes this.
  21. Robert Goodison

Robert Goodison Never, ever, bloody anything ever!

zikarus and Lars1966 like this.
  22. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

23. NearysEpiphany

NearysEpiphany Forum Resident

Has anyone heard Green Day's Uno, Dos, and Tre from HDTracks? I have American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown from there and I was wondering if uno, dos, and tres has the same improved dynamics over the CD releases

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  24. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

25. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Hey Neil, no discount for your new Canadian customers, eh?