Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

There is a dedicated thread.

2. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Something about this seems off to me :D

3. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Randy Leasure (PonoMusic)
    Hi,
    We are updating our new release section on the home page of the store each Tuesday.
    Below are the new 24 bit titles that were released on PonoMusic, Tuesday 5/12/15.
    Thanks

Alfred Brendel [Piano] - Mozart: Fantasia in C Minor, K.396; Piano Sonatas
    Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra [Orchestra] & Sir Colin Davis [Conductor] - Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique
    Akiko Suwanai [Violin] & City Of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra [Orchestra] & Sakari Oramo [Conductor] - Sibelius & Walton Violin Concertos
    Braxton/HIVE1
    Della Mae - Della Mae
    Die Fantastischen Vier - Rekord - Live in Wien
    Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell/The Traveling Kind Tyondai
    Hinder/When The Smoke Clears
    JD Souther – Tenderness
    Juan Diego Flórez [Tenor] & Orchestra Sinfonica di Milano Giuseppe Verdi [Orchestra] & Riccardo Frizza [Conductor] - Una Furtiva Lagrima - Donizetti & Bellini Arias
    Les ténors classiques - Les ténors classiques
    Leonard Cohen - Can't Forget: A Souvenir of the Grand Tour
    Mitsuko Uchida [Piano] - Schubert: Piano Sonata in E Flat Major; 6 Moments Musicaux
    Nikki Lane/All or Nothin’
    Paavo Jarvi/Shostakovich: Cantatas "Song of the Forests"
    Pierre Henry [Interprète Instrumental] - Messe pour le temps présent
    Snoop Dogg – BUSH

4. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

I know, but this is also the high res thread and people may be interested in this thread.

hutchguv, supermd and Mij Retrac like this.
  5. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

This is the response I got back from Onkyo regarding the 24/44.1 Iron Maiden files on the U.S. site
    "Thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately the content and file quality that we are able to offer can differ across territories due to label rights "
    So it appears as though the U.S. will not be getting the 24/96 files at least not from Onkyo. :realmad:

6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Does anyone know why the KISS hi-def campaign seems to have ended a few albums short? Notably absent is Psycho Circus and ProStudioMasters has Crazy Nights, HD Tracks does not...I'll continue to hold out hope someone will come up with a proper master for Monster, but I'm not holding my breath either.

7. ServingTheMusic

Hey record company..let's encourage piracy!!! :rolleyes:

Jackenhack, rxcory and Mij Retrac like this.
  8. Mij Retrac

Psycho Circus was recorded digitally and not hi res so you will probably never see a hi res version. If you do it would have been up sampled.

Unlikely to see a remaster on Monster although it did barely qualify as hi res clocking in at 24/48.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Given the quality, and I'm referring to the lack of dynamics here, that's no big loss imo. When they are ready to put out flat transfers or mastered transfers without the dynamic range compression, then I'll be interested. I was pretty happy with the vinyl re-issues, but would prefer digital. But 24/44.1 or 24/96 with the dynamics as compromised as they are insisting on - it makes little difference.

10. Stereosound

From a Post on Pono:

Iron Maiden 2015 New Remasters

Gary Craig (Member)
    Is this compatible with my copy of The Soundhouse Tapes I have been squirreling away for 30 odd years? My, that on pono would be a contradiction.......

We are working on getting these titles as soon as we can. They are currently exclusive to another partner due to their relationship with some branded hardware (i.e. "'Ed Phones")

Curveboy likes this.
  11. Mij Retrac

I agree

12. Mij Retrac

I would be surprised if they get anything but the 24/44.1 versions when they do become available.

13. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Too bad about the Maidens, I would have re-purchased all the main albums that pick up after the Collectors Vinyl box left off if they were not so squashed. Still tempted by Brave New World and Matter of Life and Death, but at least for now the more reasonable part of my brain is putting the breaks on it.

14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'd love to know what the rationale is for this is. I suppose the only logical conclusion is that they want to be able to sell them again, but at a higher resolution.

15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Was it really recorded digitally? How unlike them...

16. Mij Retrac

I should have clarified. I don't know if it was digitally recorded but I am certain it was digitally mixed.

17. Mickactual

Mickactual Humble indie rock musician

(raises hand) - I did. I was unable to get any of the tracks of the 24/96 Rolling Stones Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out DE to download onto either of my computers. Got the generic response to my support ticket complaint. Ultimately, after a lot of back & forth, I finally got the purchase price credited back to my CC. Never got the DL. Between their beast of a download software and the experience I had, I doubt I'll be using them again in the near future.

18. Mij Retrac

Is anyone else disturbed by the fact that more and more new releases are getting more expensive not less in hi res? Case in point the new Zach Brown, Emmylou Harris and a few others? That and The Rolling Stones titles all went up in price about 6 months ago to a $30 retail!!!

robertawillisjr likes this.
  19. Do they drop down when they're no longer new? I was planning on getting the Emmylou Harris yesterday at HDTracks, and saw that the higher price pretty much cancelled out the discount. I decided to check the other outlets first, when I have the time.

20. Mij Retrac

Not that I have seen.

21. Stereosound

Hi,

We will be updating our new release section on the home page of the store this Tuesday 5/19.
    Below are the new 24 bit titles that will be released on PonoMusic both on Monday 5/18 and Tuesday 5/19.
    Thanks

Aarón Emanuel – Espectacular (5/18)
    Brandon Flowers - The Desired Effect (5/18)
    Brantley Gilbert - Just As I Am Platinum Edition (5/18)
    Diamond Youth - Nothing Matters (5/18)
    Du Blonde/Welcome Back To Milk (5/19)
    Fool’s Gold/Flying Lessons (5/19)
    Gerardo Ortiz - Hoy Más Fuerte (5/18)
    Jamie Foxx - Hollywood: A Story of a Dozen Roses (Deluxe Version) (5/18)
    The Helio Sequence/The Helio Sequence (5/19)
    JD Allen/Graffiti (5/19)
    Jon Pardi - The B-Sides, 2011-2014 (5/18)
    Kopecky - Drug For The Modern Age (5/18)
    Life of Dillon - Prologue(5/18)
    Logan Mize - Pawn Shop Guitar – EP (5/18)
    Lorin Maazel - Verdi: Messa da Requiem (5/18)
    Madisen Ward and The Mama Bear - Skeleton Crew (5/18)
    The Milk Carton Kids/Monterey (5/19)
    Papa Mali - Music Is Love (5/18)
    Paul Weller/Saturns Pattern (5/19)
    Rico Love - Turn The Lights On [Deluxe Edition] (5/18)
    RYLI - ENTER [Explicit] (5/18)
    Soundtrack - Orphan Black: Original Television Soundtrack (5/18)
    Soundtrack - Orphan Black: Original Television Score [Trevor Yuile] (5/18)
    Talk in Tongues - Alone With A Friend (5/18)
    Tennis - Small Sound (5/18)
    Trash Boat – Brainwork (5/18)
    twenty one pilots/Blurryface (5/19)
    Urban Cone - Come Back To Me (Feat. Tove Lo) [Remixes] (5/18)
    Willy Mason - Carry On (5/18)
    ZEDD - True Colors (5/18)
    Unspoken – Unplugged (5/18)

22. ServingTheMusic

shrinking market..low demand...simple economics. The HD download market is so small it could fit on the head of a pin in relation.

23. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I know the hi rez market is small but is it actually shrinking? I thought there was some modest growth.

24. ServingTheMusic

doubt it, if prices are rising.

25. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

Hardly surprising. If the members of this forum can't agree on the benefits of hi Rez not likely the mass market is going to jump in