Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Totally agree. These are the best digital versions by a good margin. All mastered from the original maters with excellent ADC's by people Neil knows and trusts.

Can't be beat.

jhm likes this.
  2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Are the post 2000 albums different masterings? I know Monsanto years is but don't know about the others

3. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

From what I read, not all of them.

4. For this price I'm in! Love the name of his store "greedy hand"...

Sigma6 likes this.
  5. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. Will be getting Live Rust for sure...I'm guessing Greatest Hits would fall under the "post 2000" category, so to get the best quality I would need to buy the individual 70's albums?

6. tbugsett

tbugsett Forum Resident

Regarding Greatest Hits, here's interesting and thorough info about the transfers and mastering. This applies to the CD/DVD (24-96) and vinyl versions. But interesting nevertheless...

Greatest Hits Technical Notes Menu

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    oneway23 and Mike McMann like this.
  7. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Given that all of them were recorded on tape, there is no "high resolution" available. But they sound nice, nonetheless.

8. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

Fantastic prices! What are the essential Neil Young albums would you say? I have Harvest in my collection, but that's it.

9. radiomd2000

radiomd2000 Forum Resident

Bought Monsanto Years (had only the CD-DVD package previously). The FLAC files are in fact the very same FLAC files previously available from PonoMusic — or are indistinguishable from them. They contain the telltale signs in their metadata: TOOL NAME="PonoMusic World", Writing library="OmnifonePackager".

Pono lives! And at reduced prices, too.

oneway23 and Dino like this.
  10. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

I realize this is almost a year old, but did you or anyone ever find out if the Hi-Rez Heavier Things is less compressed and distorted from the cd version?

11. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

Everything Neil released between 69-79 is essential. I actually can't think of another artist who had that many sensational and essential albums one after another in a 10 year span.

Neil Young - Wikipedia

Dino and Mr Wensleydale like this.
  12. Interesting that it includes his entire "NYA Official Album Series" except Hawks & Doves.

13. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

This week on HDtracks...

Depeche Mode - Spirit (Deluxe)
    Tedeschi Trucks Band - Live From The Fox Oakland
    Bill Evans Trio - Portrait In Jazz
    Obituary - Obituary

and many many more...

14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Bowie.

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

You know Ben, if Sean did a Bowie campaign I'd probably ride along for it. I have zero Dave except a 7 inch and a couple comps

Ben Adams likes this.
  16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

There's nowt wrong with the current reissues, y'know! I like them and I've been a fan for 37 years.

c-eling likes this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Really? Maybe I'll grab a title. I haven't been paying attention to reviews on them

Ben Adams likes this.
  18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I'd recommend Ziggy Stardust and Stationtostation to start if you dive into the vinyl.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  19. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

It seems as though the HDTracks promo codes have been few and far between. Anyone know of one that is currently valid?

20. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Sign up for their email newsletter and you won't have to bug us for them. I've noticed no change in frequency. They have one for new releases every week that is good Friday -> Monday and then occasionally a site wide one.

21. Mickactual

Mickactual Humble indie rock musician

I got used to stacking the coupons on top of the HDTracks sale prices, but all the weekly coupon codes lately stipulate that they don't apply where an item is on sale. :thumbsdow

rnranimal likes this.
  22. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

I'm not a terribly privacy-paranoid guy, but when I go to Neil Young's site to buy one of those well-priced downloads or two, and it requires my phone number, I get a little annoyed. When I decide to be careful and check the terms about what they might do with my phone number, but the link doesn't go where it should and doesn't show the terms, I get more annoyed.

And then, when it turns out they want all that billing info *even if I'm paying with PayPal* -- which would seem to exist in part to keep you from having to submit all that personal info to the vendor -- I quit and keep my money. Too bad. Already got plenty of music.

23. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

"Hi this is Neil, would be interested in a slightly used LincVolt?"

Quincy, radiomd2000 and oneway23 like this.
  24. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Zappa too.

Instant Dharma and Ben Adams like this.
  25. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Sooo, to maybe get back on track from MQA discussions, about this weeks new releases, if any kind soul purchases or has knowledge of the sound and mastering of the following titles I would be very appreciative.

- Depeche Mode - Spirit (Deluxe)
    - Tedeschi Trucks Band - Live From The Fox Oakland
    - Gary Clark Jr. - Live North America 2016