Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

No highres Kendrick "Damn" yet, sad!

BTW, I've been enjoying the Miles Mono releases from a week or two ago. I downloaded them all, and they seem to be similar to how I remember the mono box CDs sounding, but I have not made any comparisons so far. Porgy & Bess still sounds bad to my ears, Sketches and Someday are quite nice.

sound_mind likes this.
  2. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

3. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

sallymae_hogsby likes this.
  4. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDtracks...

Goo Goo Dolls - You Should Be Happy
    Seether - Poison The Parish (Deluxe Edition)
    Paramore - After Laughter
    Flaming Lips - 2 albums

plus many many more....

5. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Wake me up next week...:faint:

6. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

These releases, week after week....Where's the Queens of the Stone Age, AC/DC, Faith no More, Pixies, The Police, etc....?

Love Flaming Lips as much as the next person, but, they're already on the SECOND hi-res releases for a couple of their albums, no?

sunspot42 and xj32 like this.
  7. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Thanks for this. Had my finger on the button but came here to specifically check up on what you guys had to say about it first. I've been saved!

art and sunspot42 like this.
  8. neil

neil Senior Member

All the fleetwood mac albums have been reissued in hires except their best, Then Play On. What gives?

9. Sonikko

Sonikko New Member

Has anyone bought After Laughter from Paramore? Is the 24bit master worth it or is it as compressed as the Redbook release?

10. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Judging from leaked non-hi-res release and HD versions of their previous albums - I'll be amazed if DR is higher than 6.

11. Sonikko

Sonikko New Member

Brand New Eyes has a good Studio Master release, around 10DR

12. neil

neil Senior Member

The Paul Weller has a low DR as well. As a matter of fact most of his albums sound like crap. You'd think he would be interested in finding the best resolution for his music instead of putting out something super compressed that sounds like its coming out of a crappy transistor radio.

Tuck1977 likes this.
  13. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

I blame Oasis for ruining Weller's sound. Their DR6 style rubbed off on him.

James Bennett likes this.
  14. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I'm really interested in the American epic releases but I can't really figure out what overlap there is between the "collection", the "soundtrack", and whatever individual sets they've listed on HDtracks today.

Also any word on Harry Styles new album in 24bit anywhere?

15. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

Agree about American Epic release; however, can't imagine high resolution will sound better and why not include the linear notes digitally? Makes me crazy that we pay more for less. I like linear notes!

oneway23 likes this.
  16. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

+1 certainly that stuff is archived as a pdf somewhere.. why isn't including these standard practice..? Fingerprint files would be nice, too, but I seem to be the only one who thinks so...

MrRom92, DR.J and seasonsinthesky like this.
  17. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

There was a guy from Ace Records UK here once trying to determine demand for high resolution downloads of their catalog. He was asked about liner notes and stated their contracts with the authors were for CD only. Therefore I think it comes down to money, at least in cases where a CD of the release also exists. They just don't want to pay the authors again for a digital version of their liner notes.

MrRom92, art and oneway23 like this.
  18. Mickactual

Mickactual Humble indie rock musician

...And for what they charge for these things. Tsk tsk. :tsk:

jhm likes this.
  19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

No kidding. Aren't most of these downloads over 20 bucks? There are plenty of vinyl lps that are going for that much.

20. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

So I was shopping around on the web and I find the Deftones HD Tracks versions are all DR5 lol. What and the right hell. Why would any mastering engineer do this?

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

As I said before who do these guys think they're making these Hi-Rez downloads for, certainly not the MP3 crowd.

oneway23 and Ham Sandwich like this.
  22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Because the labels/bands are telling them to do so.

I know some mastering engineers like an hyper-compressed sound, but they far from the majority, in my experience.

Dino likes this.
  23. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

It is really, really simple, at least to me.

Previous generations used analog distortion as a distinct tool. It was/is the sound of classic rock and pop. There is
    barely a Mowtown, Chess, or early Stones tack without saturation.

The current generation is using DIGITAL distortion as their signature tool, and it just does not work the same way.

art, macdaddysinfo, sunspot42 and 3 others like this.
  24. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

It's on Qobuz so it's out there. 24/44.1

MrRom92 likes this.
  25. Spencer Marquart

Spencer Marquart Forum Resident

Love this record! I wonder if the 24 bit DR is any better than the redbook CD which hits as low as 4 on some songs..