Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDtracks...

Jaco Pastorius, Toots Thielemans - Truth, Liberty & Soul
    Linkin Park - One More Light
    Faith Evans And The Notorious B.I.G... - The King & I
    Heart - Heart

+ many many more...

2. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Anyone download Grateful Dead MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THELIGHT (ALL MUSIC EDITION) from their site in 24/192. No info on DR and if this isn't that big an improvement I'll go for the CD's

3. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Last time I looked Dead.net had all downloads for sale suspended. If I remember correctly it is due to some technical issue.

4. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

They are back up now. A couple people in the dedicated thread finally got it to download.

KDubATX likes this.
  5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I genuinely don't believe a lot of artists listen to their recordings after they go off for mastering/release. They hear the final mix in the studio, go "that's it," and are done with it. I'm just speculating, but it would explain so much. At least all of Weller's albums have been available on LP...my Saturns Pattern vinyl sounds really nice.

LEONPROFF likes this.
  6. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

New issue of Heart / ST? That might be of interest to me.

Pat

7. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

I recently purchased Otis Spann's 'Good Morning Mr Blues' (DSD) and it's superb! Incredible album and great SQ. Blues is my favorite genre and this is maybe already in my top 5 all time favorite albums - can't stop playing it!
    Also, new Diana Krall's 'Turn Up The Quiet' is wonderful - right up there with her best albums from the past (great to see her back doing jazz - maybe that's why she sounds so good again :edthumbs:).

jmrife and robertawillisjr like this.
  8. Bytor Snowdog

Bytor Snowdog Forum Resident

The 1985 release?

9. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Yes, In 24/96 and 24/192. I'm going to wait for some kind of report on the mastering.

Curveboy likes this.
  10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Plus, which versions of which songs? There are so many!

11. Bytor Snowdog

The original CD had decent (DR11) dynamics but an ear-bleeding EQ. Anyone know if this was Digital or Analog recording? If the former, all that extra sampling is for naught.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  12. Bytor Snowdog

[​IMG]

ADD. Theirs hope! But this raises another question. If it was digitally mixed, we would still be stuck with the 44K sampling, right? Is their a chance this HDtracks reissue is remixed and mastered?

13. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

My math might be off but it looks like the dsd of the jaco rsd set is up for less than the vinyl was selling for at retail ($36 with coupon at hdt)... I bit, but haven't listened yet... all reports of the vinyl were quite good, so I have high hopes....

KDubATX and oneway23 like this.
  14. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

It has a 2017 Capital Records date on it. Something about from original masters. Available in 192 and 96/24.

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The SPARS code is generally meaningless and should not be trusted.

If the album was indeed mixed digitally in 1985, there will be a visible 44.1/48kHz cut-off even if the mix was printed to analog tape.

c-eling likes this.
  16. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

$24.99 for the new Singles soundtrack release in 24/44? Munch on a grenade, HDTracks.....

17. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

They can stick it..too bad my thread about high pricing was taken down.

And this album is available in 24/192 elsewhere.

18. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

For what it is worth I'm still seeing the error message: Digital downloads have been temporarily disabled while we work on resolving the technical issues. Previous purchasers will be notified when the problem is resolved.

Possibly people who already ordered have been able to download now, but the store is still seemingly closed off to make a new purchase.

19. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

C'mon I took one for the team and bought Blondie's Parallel Lines last week, who is going to be the guinea pig for Heart S/T?

20. art

art Senior Member

wait, didn't see your post about it. Sound like crap?

Steve Martin likes this.
  21. ServingTheMusic

Sure does.

22. art

art Senior Member

Thank you!

23. ServingTheMusic

I am not kidding, it sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me.

24. alcheung

alcheung Forum Resident

I bought the heart st from prostudiomasters 24/192. I was not expecting much from it since i never found the original lp very good sounding. I compared it to the shm-cd version. There was a slight improvement but the general characteristic of the album of being bright , not much bass and having a digital haze remains.

KDubATX likes this.
  25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Welcome to the '80s!

(In fairness, it was probably all of the digital processing that did it in - reverbs, equalizers and the like - which combined with the favored EQ of the era makes for a shrill, thin sound.)

Bob F likes this.