Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I bought the big box direct from their website and they provided a 96/24 download of wav files. I would have to assume these are the same files that HDTracks and everyone else got. Here's Karma Police...

[​IMG]

Ham Sandwich, Krzych and superstar19 like this.
  2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The Complete Monk/Coltrane Riverside Sessions from HDTracks sounds fantastic. TBH I can't hear any difference between the download and original 2 CD, they sound like the exact same transfer. I definitely recommend this music for any jazz fan.

B-Mike, tgdinamo and jfeldt like this.
  3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I just got Eric Clapton's Slowhand from HD Tracks UK. 192/24 flac file. Played it on my Oppo BDP-103EU and it was a real nice comfortable listen. I tried searching on this thread and elsewhere but could not find any thing about this high res download. Any one else have this album in this form?

4. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Anybody have an opinion on "Too Fast For Love"?

5. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Since HDTracks announced their streaming partnership with MQA, I have steered my business elsewhere.

art likes this.
  6. Mickactual

Mickactual Humble indie rock musician

I have the 24/96 version. It is, indeed, a comfortable listen with a DR of 13.

7. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Wow, that's news. HDTracks were vocally opposed to MQA previously calling it out for being mainly snake-oil (correctly IMO) and a ploy to tie up customers with propriety processes.
    Looks like they have now succumbed to the commercial pressure. Sad really.

8. ServingTheMusic

..yes...pathetic...

to be honest, i can't remember them ever being vocal about MQA...are you sure?

9. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

1) HDTracks confirmed to Digital Audio Review that they will be staying in the download sales game after launch. (They didn't say for how long....)

2) HDTracks is partnering with 7digital for this revamp of their business model, so when it comes to lossless/Hi-res sales, there isn't a North American-market retailer whose hands are "clean" (except for AcousticSounds, I guess).

10. ServingTheMusic

i am not sure what all that has to do with MQA....

their interest in it seems ro be exclusive of streaming..

Chesky To Release MQA CDs in May

11. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

HDTracks will be using MQA for their imminent streaming business. I was unaware of Chesky's physical-media decision.

But in any case, HDTracks have stated that they are not getting out of the paid download business. Which is what they do now. If they continue to sell non-MQA downloads, I'm not sure what's changed to warrant a boycott.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  12. ServingTheMusic

supporting vaporware warrants a boycott.

art likes this.
  13. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Yes, they had a statement to that effect on their website, it's gone now. Their stance was debated on other forums at the time.

14. ServingTheMusic

"Once Chesky heard MQA, he was easily convinced of the benefits of MQA CDs. "You get a hi-rez file in the same package as the CD," he said. "It's like listening to the master file on CD. If all goes well, we'll do all our future issues like this."

Chesky also hinted that MQA downloads are in the offing from HDTracks "as soon as the store is ready."
    Read more at Chesky To Release MQA CDs in May

15. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

What is MQA?

16. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

17. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

artfromtex likes this.
  18. ServingTheMusic

sunspot42 and Chooke like this.
  19. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Yes, I have it and it's my go-to for this album. I would also recommend "461 Ocean Boulevard".

Dino likes this.
  20. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

Can anyone explain, or maybe someone here as purchased, the 24/192 version of Purple Rain Deluxe (or Expanded Deluxe) that is for sale at Acoustic Sounds? They claim WB sent them the files and made them available for sale to them. Wondering if anyone here has heard and if there's a value in purchasing over the 24/92 version. thanks.

21. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Since vaporware by definition doesn't really exist a boycott is silly. And if worthwhile releases actually do become available, a boycott would also be silly.

nightenrock likes this.
  22. ServingTheMusic

Sure. Sure. :laughup::biglaugh:

23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Boycotting DRM is never silly. MQA admits they have what we think of as traditional anti-copying "lock down" DRM in their spec, but they have not put it in any product. Yet. The DRM they have put in publicly released product is more of the "You gotta buy our toner cartridges" variety, and in some minds, that's no better.

I think there's just agreement to disagree. I think more is accomplished by patronizing DRM-free offerings from stores that give you a choice. So far, it looks like HDTracks will continue to offer DRM-free download choices, but perhaps I am reading too much into their comment that they will continue to sell downloads.

sunspot42 likes this.
  24. ServingTheMusic

DRM is just the start...then you have lossy, post production proprietary DSP, and the need for special hard ware and software.

Fees must be paid from the content providers, manufacturers, and developers.

Guess who they pass that on to? For vapor.

art, sunspot42 and gd0 like this.
  25. randian

randian Forum Resident

It's not just DRM. MQA is basically fancy MP3 aka it uses lossy compression. There's no way they get the kind of compression they claim using lossless compression. If I wanted lossy compression I'd buy from iTunes.

art, sunspot42, Vorlon and 2 others like this.