Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

...and that is most often the case, unfortunately. And not all labels want to (or can) pay for an additional mixing session. And with egos thrown in the mix (pun intended), it's not always a good policy to ask for new mixes. Not even the A-listers would often do it...
    In short the moments when you can effectively ask for a remix before mastering are extremely limited.

2. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

...and that is a shame....

3. ServingTheMusic

I guess what irritates those of us who are not specifically mastering or mix engineers is that there is not the common goal
    of producing the best sounding product, period.

It almost seems like a lost cause..especially when I hear someone like Greg Cabli describe how a thoughtful and incredibly
    artistic guy like Ben Harper wanted his last few albums to be as "loud as everything else" on his iPod. Calbi says he was
    able to find a happy medium, maybe louder than he would have wanted, but less than was initially suggested.

Gardo likes this.
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, fidelity or "best sound" like the audiophile community perceive it, is very rarely a priority.

It seems like everyone from the musicians to the labels are insecure as far as loudness goes... The fear of being rejected by the audience only because the tracks are not loud enough...

5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Anyone have any problems playing the HD Tracks UK high res 192/24 files of Decade by Neil Young, An Old Raincoat by Rod Stewart, and the 3rd Velvet Underground album. Along with couple of friends these files seem to have a constant banging noise through them save when played via a small portable player. Any one any ideas?

6. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this.

I was mainly interested in this for the bonus tracks as I hate the Elektra remix. The 99 Remaster is far more dynamic for those tracks than this hi-res release. Glad I can cross this one off my list.

7. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

You're quite welcome. I'm wondering what sort of numbers Incorruptible by Ice Earth has for their 24 bit version on HDTracks. I bought the CD, and it has 5s and 6s.

8. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

Is that the band with Ripper Owens?

9. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

He was with Iced Earth years ago, but not any more.

10. ServingTheMusic

How short sighted. But then again they are mixing and mastering for how the vast majority are actually listening..in the gym, on the subway,
    in the car. etc..not in front of a dedicated two channel system. That notion must be so quaint.

How do you figure so many recordings from the past sound really good? My theory is the analog medium required much more work
    and things sounded good by default. Digital distortion is much harder for the average person to identify.

11. Madness

Stu Block now. There's been a resolving door of lead singers for that band. Well, not just singers. This is Stu Block's second album with them. Ripper did a couple...Glorious Burden is excellent.

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Sounds like corrupted files on your end?

13. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

Incorruptible is Stu Block's third album with IE. Dystopia, Plagues Of Babylon and now Incorruptible. I enjoy the albums with Tim Owens as well, Something Wicked Part One was the album that got me into Iced Earth.

14. Madness

Ah forgot about that first one. Thanks for the correction.

15. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Or a player than can't handle 24/192.

c-eling likes this.
  16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Oh yes more likely. I glossed over the fact that they play fine on a portable player.

17. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Surprisingly Tom he has his gear listed. His Oppo shouldn't have any issues playing them. I think he may have addressed this problem in hardware if I remember

18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The Sonny Rollins hi-res Prestige downloads are DR7-10 and digitally clipped, the original OJC CDs are DR 12-15.

19. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Why on earth would anyone do this? Bewildering.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  20. Jelloza

Jelloza My hard drive is full of vinyl

Sonny Rollins - Way Out West (2017) is one of the most amazing digital downloads I've ever heard. Staggeringly better than any of the past CD releases, and the SACD release. Right up there with the Kind Of Blue and Waltz for Debby remastered downloads. Your comment is a little bit of a generalization, don't you think?

21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Way Out West isn't on Prestige?

The MFSL silver CD is still the best sounding version for that album I've heard.

art likes this.
  22. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

The hi-res download gives the MFSL a run for its money, but it's not perfect - there are signs of clipping. Whoever mastered these did not allow enough headroom.

23. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Well that might be the problem but other files from HDTracks UK downloaded at the same time are absolutely fine. HD Tracks reset the downloads for me but the result was the same.
    Thank you for your reply.

24. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

So the Beach Boys 1967 2 disc set is $67 on HD Tracks (without a discount code). Why in the world is this priced so high for the 24.88 HD download? The 16.44 CD is only $17.50 on Amazon, so the digital download is literally more than 3x the cost. By comparison the 2 disc Radiohead re-issue on OK Computer is only $19.98 on HD tracks and Amz has the CD set for $13.50.
    I thought maybe it was priced incorrectly but ProStudioMasters has it for $57.50 as a 'special sale price'. Needless to say I'm opting for the CD on this one; a $40-50 digital premium is much more than I can stomach for the High Res.

sunspot42, oneway23 and HanowarHAIL like this.
  25. ServingTheMusic

Uh yep...you note an issue that many have been complaining about..the pie in the sky hirez download pricing..

THIS is why Tidal has risen, and why so many have stayed on the sidelines and refuse to pay for downloads.

Just the pre coupon price of an average 24/192 download, $25, shows me they have no clue about the marketplace
    and I have no doubt it has promoted piracy.