Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

It's a shame these restrictions occur in music. Qobuz has a great selection of hard to find stuff not available over here, especially for smaller bands not popularized in the US.
    Luckily a few years ago they let me become a 'French' citizen :laugh:

The Bish, Ham Sandwich, Plan9 and 3 others like this.
  2. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Denon AVRs have decent DACs.

3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I thought it sounded fairly good. So I don't need a DAC?

4. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

That is a question that has no single solid answer. If you are enjoying it and do not feel anything amiss, then, no. If you want to see if it can be made better, see about getting a DAC on trial. However, if I may, I think may be at the eventual cost of changing many things about your system and that might not be something you want to consider undertaking.

jhm and Simon A like this.
  5. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I appreciate the time and info everyone share. Thank you

c-eling and Simon A like this.
  6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Getting Moby "Innocents" in 24/96 is why I had my IP address visit France. I couldn't find the 24/96 version available anywhere other than Qobuz and only on the French version of Qobuz. So I visited France so I could buy it. The 24/96 version is a different mastering than the CD. Much more reverb than the CD version and a slightly less DR. The 24/96 version sounds much better than the CD version to me. So well worth it to me. I'll never know why that 24/96 version is only available on the French version of Qobuz and nowhere else that I could find. It's baffling why the music industry does things like that. Makes no sense. But that's the way it is. When Qobuz opens their US portal I doubt the 24/96 version of "Innocents" will be available in the US store. I'll be glad when Qobuz opens here in the US, but that won't negate the need to sometimes IP travel outside of the US to find what I want.

7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure once the account is established, you don't need the VPN. The French site has better prices too so even when they are in the US, it might be cheaper to buy from France. The only problem I have is that my only credit card that doesn't have foreign currency fees, flags purchases at Qobuz as fraud most of the time.

8. Amperage

Amperage Forum Resident

I set up a Qobuz account and it thinks, er knows p, my IPs coming from the States. Bummer.
    Really want the MJ Essentials set. It says I cannot purchase it in my country.

Why on earth is it not available here?

9. Ham Sandwich

I used a VPN to set up the account and make the first purchase (the Moby album in 2013). I'm not sure if I've needed to use the VPN for making other purchases. I've only purchased 3 or 4 albums from them over the past 4 years. I use PayPal from my bank account rather than using the credit card connected to PayPal. Currency conversion charges are less that way for me.

c-eling likes this.
  10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Did you use a VPN?

11. c-eling

For that MJ, that submission is false. So i'm going to delete it. I grabbed 'The Way You Make Me Feel' it's DR7, same as the US. FLAC and WAV.

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Actually it must have been corrected at some point, because I just asked a friend for his Qobuz 24/96 version he downloaded a couple of years ago and the DR values correspond to the database entry, i.e. DR13. (this particular track is DR15)

Amperage and c-eling like this.
  13. c-eling

I was thinking that as well. Shame.
    I deleted that entry so know one pisses away their money thinking the dynamic version exists.

14. Amperage

Amperage Forum Resident

I read in a specific MJ thread that the Qobuz was the way to go vs the US. It’s a legit entry - don’t delete it.

15. c-eling

They must of updated to the current worldwide. It's compressed, it doesn't exist anymore.

16. Amperage

Amperage Forum Resident

So we’re deleting DRDB entries because something’s no longer available for sale? WTF is that? Bad idea.
    Of course it exists. The information is valuable. You should have just put a note in the notes saying that the Qobuz version is unique and not available to download. Metallica’s Master of Puppets CD with low DR isn’t available for purchase either - should we delete all known entries of that old CD? No!

agentalbert and Soundslave like this.
  17. c-eling

No big deal, someone can re-up it. I just feel if something is not available for purchase it adds no value- just confusion.
    Master of Puppets can be found on the used market, so it's available and it's entry has merit.

18. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Don't want to muddle this thread, but is there discussion of this unique version of Innocents somewhere? I'd like to read more about the differences.

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

No worries, I'll just re-upload the DR values with a disclaimer that this particular version is no longer available.

My guess is that the files were the unfinished 24/96 mastering before they applied limiting and downsampled it to 44.1kHz (the levels are also not consistent from song to song), and that's why they were pulled.
    A happy accident. Too bad they caught the mistake and corrected it...

20. Ham Sandwich

There is no discussion about it that I'm aware of. I know nothing about it other than it sounds a little better than the CD to me and I like it better than the CD version. It has more reverb in it than the CD version. I haven't investigated if there are other differences. I put an entry for it in the dynamic range database.

c-eling likes this.
  21. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Yea I was so mad that the version I downloaded from Acoustic Sounds is just terrible. I looked on the DR website and took a chance since all I wanted was a few edits. I downloaded a single track from 7 Digital and it was the same thing. Wish I could have gotten the good version.

c-eling likes this.
  22. c-eling

Same here, as a casual fan it would of been up my alley. Oh well I'm out a buck at least :laugh:

PTgraphics likes this.
  23. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

I couldn't find via search, so my apologies if my question has already been answered. I'm wondering if Miles Davis' "The Complete on the Corner Sessions" is available somewhere, at redbook or better quality? Thanks!

24. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Forum Resident

Qobuz, Redbook.

25. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Thanks. I’m in the US, is this do-able?