Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

To further muddy the waters, now there are some reports that the physical CD release of Scorpion has its own set of changes. So as of right now, no telling if that’s it’s own thing, or if this is reflective of further “updates” that will take place to the album on streaming/download services. No telling if a 24 bit will ever be made available of this version, or if a 24 bit download was even made available of the other “update” version… oy.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  2. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

Seems to play censored for me

MrRom92 likes this.
  3. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Hmmmm.. bummer. Seems it’s the older mix. Appreciate it anyhow, thanks!

4. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDtracks..

Kylie Minogue - The Abbey Road Sessions
    [​IMG]
    Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy & More (Live)
    Pete Yorn, Scarlett Johansson - Bad Dreams
    Punch Brothers - All Ashore

plus much much more...

vivresavie likes this.
  5. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDtracks...

Halestorm - Vicious
    Boz Scaggs - Out of the Blues
    Rise Against - The Ghost Note Symphonies, Vol.1
    Thelonious Monk - Always Know

plus much much more...

6. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

A whole slew of titles from the Kscope label are available now on HD Tracks
    Including:

Porcupine Tree - Up The Downstair and Staircase Infinities

No Man - Schoolyard Ghosts and Together We’re Stranger

Blackfield V

I bought Up The Downstair which is the remixed version with
    Gavin Harrison’s drum tracks. I’ve only heard snippets of before. Sounds great!

I also bought Schoolyard Ghosts as its my favorite No Man and I missed out on
    the original DVD Audio edition which was out of print a while ago.
    They also have the deluxe edition with bonus tracks but it’s onky available in 16/44.1.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    oneway23 likes this.
  7. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Thanks for the PT updates...good to know!

8. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDtracks...

Alice In Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
    The Turtles - The Complete Original Albums Collection
    Mac Miller - Swimming
    Wayne Shorter - Without A Net (Live)

plus much much more...

9. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Have you got any updates on the Drake situation? Especially any hard news on what’s on the hard CD copy? I’ve stayed aloof from buying Scorpion because it’s just not that good, but I wouldn’t mind adding the CD to my physical Drake collection. Thing is I never bought the Views CD because of the butchering-for-time decisions they made and wonder how the CD (or 24-bit) version of Scorpion has fared in comparison?

10. Mr. Explorer

And on a separate question entirely (related to the geoblocking discussions above), has anyone got a source on where I can buy this track in the US? I’d prefer lossless, but I’ll take 320 as that’s better than the dubiously sourced 160kbps rip I have currently in my iTunes library.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Broken-Single-Version/dp/B00D7FWDB4

I have the album version on CD but the single version is muuuuuuuuuch better.

11. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Broken | Jake Bugg

Is this it?

12. Mr. Explorer

Yep that looks right! I’ve somehow found a way to buy from French qobuz successfully, but was never able to replicate/game/dumb luck my way into the same success with British qobuz. Is there a way?

13. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I made some fairly complete notes comparing the “original” version to the “updated” version, copied here...

I have a newer theory about the noise thing. I think these slight low level differences might just be due to downconversion from 24->16bit and maybe the original 24 bit masters were originally more identical than not. But for the comparison I could only compare the official 16 bit DL versions of each as both weren’t available in 24 bit. So I can’t confirm if that’s the case or not.

In any case, as far as I know only the original version is available in 24 bit. I haven’t received any confirmation either way that anyone selling the album in 24 bit is selling the updated mix.

I picked up the CD and EAC’d it, but I’ve yet to actually listen or do any comparison to see if any further changes were made! I heard some rumors that may be the case though... I’m nutty like that, so I guess we’ll find out soon. If there is anything unique to it, I’ll keep it in my digital library.

Being that the album was actually pressed on 2 CDs this time around and not chopped up for time like Views, I think you really can’t go wrong with any available version of it. Tbh I’d probably have cared about listening and comparing for more differences a bit sooner if it were a better album :shake:
    I would like the “updated” version in 24 bit if it were available, but I’m definitely not about to randomly go buy the album from different websites and hope for the best. 50/50 shot of getting the same set of files I already have.

jfeldt and Mr. Explorer like this.
  14. Mr. Explorer

Isn’t that the dang truth!!
    I liked Views despite the hate, but the CD release is going nowhere near my collection unless I get it for free haha.

Thanks for the analyses. I’ve actually seen your quoted write up on a few places on reddit, so it’s cool to know it was you!

MrRom92 likes this.
  15. art

art Senior Member

The turtles!

16. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Instant Dharma likes this.
  17. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

There's a thread about it here:

Bear's Sonic Journals: Allman Brothers Band-Fillmore East, February 1970

I posted samples comparing the download to the original CD (1997) here if anyone's interested:

Bear's Sonic Journals: Allman Brothers Band-Fillmore East, February 1970

Coricama and Tuck1977 like this.
  18. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDtracks...

ELO - Secret Messages with bonus tracks
    The Turtles - The Complete Original Albums Collection

and some other stuff

Tempted to get the ELO. Has anyone else? I've never heard this album before.

art likes this.
  19. neil

neil Senior Member

The turtles was released about a year ago so I don't understand why it shows up as a new release now. But, I have noticed that many sites are putting up old reissues as putting them in the new category. My guess would be that the hires vine is starting to wither and die.

sunspot42 likes this.
  20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Well, stop compressing the hell out of these "remasters" and I'll start buying them. Until then, the wallet stays shut.

21. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Well, that and what's with the 24/44.1 resolution (even with old stuff that was recorded on analog equipment) ?

Vandenville and sunspot42 like this.
  22. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Probably just giving the tapes to some kid with a soundblaster card and limiting software and saying “Make these digital”

TonyCzar, sunspot42 and c-eling like this.
  23. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

I'm interested to know if the Alice In Chains release is a remaster. If it's the same mastering as the CD, that would be quite a waste.

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I assume you're talking about this one?
    The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

I'm curious about that too. Strange that its just coming out now, but if they haven't backed off the compression, there's no point. It's got the original 2013 copyright date and nothing indicating it is new, other than that it wasn't listed before.

25. Amperage

Amperage Forum Resident

Somebody needs to takes hit for the team n download it from HDt. I’m very curious. Why release a hi-res version this late?
    It has to be different doesn’t it?
    As soon as I saw the HDt email I jumped on DR DB and... nothing.
    The original’s compression is horrid. Ear fatigue big time.
    Cmon somebody!