Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

30 second mp3 sample gave a 10, waveform looks healthy
    Hollow
    [​IMG]

Darko likes this.
  2. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

I recorded all of the samples and they look fine. I bought it. I'll upload DR soon after it downloads.

3. Vandenville

Vandenville Forum Resident

Unfortuntely I have and I did regret it immediately:

foobar2000 1.4 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2018-08-03 09:53:46

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Electric Light Orchestra / Secret Messages (Remastered)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR7 -0.70 dB -8.51 dB 4:43 01-Secret Messages
    DR8 -0.71 dB -10.48 dB 5:27 02-Loser Gone Wild
    DR8 -0.69 dB -10.30 dB 4:13 03-Bluebird
    DR8 -0.70 dB -11.42 dB 4:59 04-Take Me On and On
    DR8 -0.70 dB -9.57 dB 4:29 05-Stranger
    DR8 -0.41 dB -11.63 dB 3:28 06-No Way Out
    DR10 -0.72 dB -12.16 dB 2:59 07-Letter from Spain
    DR7 -0.52 dB -8.91 dB 3:47 08-Danger Ahead
    DR7 -0.70 dB -9.06 dB 4:10 09-Four Little Diamonds
    DR9 -0.71 dB -11.84 dB 4:22 10-Train of Gold
    DR10 0.00 dB -11.22 dB 3:35 11-Endless Lies
    DR10 0.00 dB -11.68 dB 4:04 12-Buildings Have Eyes
    DR8 -0.18 dB -9.35 dB 3:14 13-Rock 'N' Roll Is King
    DR10 -0.01 dB -12.03 dB 5:19 14-Mandalay
    DR10 -0.01 dB -11.83 dB 3:56 15-Time After Time
    DR9 -12.11 dB -24.80 dB 0:40 16-After All (Shorter Version)
    DR10 0.00 dB -14.48 dB 8:31 17-Hello My Old Friend

Number of tracks: 17
    Official DR value: DR9

Samplerate: 192000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 4756 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

4. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

I bought the ELO but went cheap with it getting the 24/96 ALAC and then down-rezzed it to 24/48 so I could put it on an iPad and iPod. Sounds fine in the car. First time I've ever heard this album so it's like a new release to me.

5. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Wow, that is substantial. Finally somebody gets it and realizes what the hi-rez market is for. Yet there is no info at all about the release, frustratingly. I've almost entirely given up on hi-rez due to the lack of information and way it seems to be treated as an afterthought by the labels, just tossing off with the minimum required effort for a few easy license fee dollars. I wonder what other releases are like this one, but we just don't know. Thanks for the post. I'll buy this for sure.

Wasn't there a 20% off code in the email that came announcing this? I must have deleted it by accident. Can someone post or shoot me the code?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  7. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

HDAUG03

8. agentalbert

Thanks, just bought. I definitely want to show support for a release like this. I really hope they do something similar with the Black Gives Way To Blue album, which I like better than this.

I took a look at the AIC web page and facebook page. No mention of this at all that I could find.

9. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

Not a new release, but does anyone know if Concrete Blonde's Bloodletting (or any of their other titles) are any good?

10. lpfreak1170

I'm picking it up myself for the same reason.

11. art

art Senior Member

Read somewhere it was squashed all to hell.

12. Amperage

Amperage Forum Resident

Woot! NICE! AiC delivers. Thanks fellas!

13. Amperage

Amperage Forum Resident

Holy cow this hi-res Dinosaurs album is really a huge upgrade. I’m hearing all sorts of stuff that’s near impossible to make out on the original because of the compression. Really freakin awesome - I hope they give Black the same treatment.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  14. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Interested in grabbing the Alice In Chains release but no options to buy in Canada... I'll have to hold out for 7Digital or ProStudioMasters to get the release.

15. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Wow..great news, thanks Amperage!

James Bennett likes this.
  16. lpfreak1170

Thanks for the response but just can't bring myself to "like" it. Heartbreaking.

17. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Just picked up the Alice in Chains release last night. Sounds great!

18. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I originally posted those notes in one (small, fairly exclusive spot online) and they kinda took off from there after being reposted and shared, etc.... it was kinda surreal googling who is arguably one of the biggest artists in the world at the moment… and seeing my notes come up in all the then-current top links, when news of the updates started breaking :p not to mention many of these sites are ones I’ve been aware of and have visited for years. So weird, but cool. I’ll try to let the fame not go to my head.

Anyway… I just had a look at the download of the “updated mix” vs. my rip of the CD and believe it or not... more updates, which means more patch notes! Which also begs the question... is this version available in 24 bit anywhere? Is the CD the only way to get it? Or will it once again replace the versions available on some streaming/DL services?

I noted:

• more really low level sample differences. Much more sporadic this time. Not a 100% digital null between both versions but this could be due to anything in the production chain... any downconversion from a 24 bit master that may have happened at some point, CD authoring, glitches, etc. I don’t think these reflect any deliberate changes or mix variations.

• most importantly, Talk Up runs half a minute longer now, with an extra verse after Jay’s ends.

So while they aren’t digitally identical they do seem to be more or less the “same” content-wise, save for the extended Talk Up with extra verse. No true mix variations beyond that.

This is a nice contrast to Views, having the CD run longer than the download instead of being cut down for time :) but on the other hand it does further muddy the waters of this release with 3 confirmed different versions of the album out there... without even counting any censored/“clean” edited versions.

Mr. Explorer and jfeldt like this.
  19. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

foobar2000 1.3.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2018-08-07 14:15:32
    Analyzed: The Allman Brothers Band / Bear’s Sonic Journals: The Allman Brothers Band - Fillmore East, February 1970
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR14 -0.04 dB -17.07 dB 9:22 01-In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
    DR14 -0.70 dB -17.41 dB 6:05 02-Hoochie Coochie Man
    DR10 -1.06 dB -13.78 dB 4:17 03-Statesboro Blues
    DR12 -1.01 dB -15.99 dB 4:12 04-Trouble No More
    DR14 -0.74 dB -17.67 dB 8:30 05-Outsklrts of Town
    DR15 -0.20 dB -17.59 dB 8:11 06-Whipping Post
    DR15 -0.58 dB -18.95 dB 30:46 07-Mountain Jam
    Number of tracks: 7
    Official DR value: DR13
    Samplerate: 192000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 9220 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================
    This is excellent!

jmrife likes this.
  20. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Thanks for this, good to know it wasn't digitally compressed. It has even slightly more dynamic range than the original CD.

21. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Add another +1 For the Alice In Chains. Really Sounds great.

22. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDtracks...

Jason Mraz - Know.
    Andrea Bocelli - 5 albums
    Count Basie - All That Jazz, Vol. 105: Backstage Blues – Jazzin' and Jammin' with Count Basie and Friends
    Chet Baker - Chet Baker Live in London Volume II
    ELVIS PRESLEY - Where No One Stands Alone

plus much much more...

23. agentalbert

Anyone know of a current discount code for prostudiomasters?

24. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

Prostudiomasters

ENJOY 15% OFF

ENTER CODE TIDE  AT CHECKOUT

* Applies to regularly priced albums site-wide.
    Expires Monday, August 13, 2018 at 11:59 PM Pacific

agentalbert likes this.
  25. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

prostudiomasters has it although priced at a whopping $24.79 and they claim that is a sale price. I guess that's the price in the USA so the Canada price may differ?