Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Nothing beats the AP CCR reissues. Pity they only sell them in dsd and not wav/flac either.

I use rips from the sacd-redbook layers for network streaming. Very close compared to sacd-playback (not sure if I would hear the difference ... but streamer is in a higher price range than my oppo sacd player).

HDTracks versions of ccr are to avoid imo. AP or original cd's are the way to go.

arisinwind and ccbarr like this.
  2. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Listening to the DSD of Cosmo's Factory right now, luckily the Pono can play them. "Ramble Tamble" sounds amazing, the bass and rhythm guitar have such a great sound to them, lots of punch but not overpowering. Drums sound great as does John Fogerty's lead guitar. And this is only 1 song! Balanced Mode on the Pono adds a lot of life too.

I'm far from an expert on sound quality but this version of Cosmo's Factory is the best I've ever heard, just an amazing sound so far. Will be buying the rest of the CCR DSD downloads for sure, might have to wait a bit though with all these box sets coming out. Wish I'd known about them sooner!

PanaPlasma likes this.
  3. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

With the proper plug-ins, foobar 2000 can convert the DSD into flac files.

marcb likes this.
  4. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

THIS WEEK on HDtracks...

Imagine Dragons - Origins
    Muse - Simulation Theory (Super Deluxe)
    Eagles - Singles & B-Sides (Remastered
    Al Green - The Hi Records Singles Collection

plus much much more...

Possibly Beatles White Album

5. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Could you please elaborate on what is so bad about them? I prefer CCR's first two albums for now and HDtracks sounds pretty good to me. I immediately heard a similar sound approach only to read that Bruce Botnick recorded them, and I'm a fan of his "sound" work with The Doors.

6. Anodyne Jones

Anodyne Jones Active Member

there is nothing bad about them..if the 24/192 downloads are what are being referred to. i think they are superb.

Soundslave likes this.
  7. Soundslave

Well I was definitely writing about those 192-24. All right then :) I was worried that I listen to some inferior masters and missing a lot since I didn't compare different editions of CCR albums.

8. Soundslave

Yep, just received an e-mail that it is available in Deluxe and Super Deluxe 24/96 variants :)

9. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Still no Jimi Hendrix '50th anniversary Electric Ladyland' at hdtracks.

No sign of Moody Blues either...

Seems like labels want you to pay the full price for the boxsets.

I could rip the Moody Blues hi res files from the dvd.

Not sure about the Jimi blu-ray.

10. djcavanagh

djcavanagh Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the high-res versions of the demos and session tracks are available on the blu-ray in the super deluxe box? I assumed not given the press release but can anyone with the blu-ray confirm?

11. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I think the Blu Ray has the remix and mono mix

12. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

13. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Blu-ray: The BEATLES (‘White Album’)

Audio Features:
    : PCM Stereo (2018 Stereo Mix)
    : DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (2018)
    : Dolby True HD 5.1 (2018)

: Mono (2018 Direct Transfer of ‘The White Album’ Original Mono Mix)

14. jfp11801

jfp11801 Forum Resident

so the 99 dollar HD tracks has everything the big box has except the 5.1 and mono and the HD tracks has the Esher and alternates in high res and box does not?

I am trying to figure out if the box set is worth it for the mono direct transfer ( I already have the 2009 mono box set)

15. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Plus you can get 15% off through the weekend.

16. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

I had the mental debate on the HDTracks too. I too have the mono release. The difference to me was the book.

Quincy likes this.
  17. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Is the DR different on the HDTracks vs CD's for all the extras?

18. Anodyne Jones

Anodyne Jones Active Member

special mention for Terry Callier: The New Folk Sound Of Terry Callier, and the first Joan Baez album, in 24/192.

They are absolutely spectacular, and beat all previous digital versions by a a mile. The Terry Callier is stunning. and the bonus tracks are fantastic.

PanaPlasma likes this.
  19. tenthstreet

tenthstreet Active Member

I'm going through the same debate and have the same versions as you (also have the mono vinyl because I'm, well, me).

Would love the mono direct transfer (and for it to serve as the digital/pristine version of my mono vinyl copy). Really wishing they handled it like they did for the Pepper Super Deluxe, where the direct transfer is available on HDtracks. If they did, the HDtracks version would be a complete no-brainer for me, as they're my usual default in purchasing and I generally never play CDs after I import them as WAVs.

I want to get the Vinyl Deluxe set, too, and definitely can't justify getting all three (CD Super Deluxe, Vinyl Deluxe and HDtracks).

Part of me thinks that the HDtracks will always be there, but the Super Deluxe (and therefore the Blu-ray mono direct transfer) will not. But I've never ripped Blu-ray (and would even have to buy a player), and have no idea if that degrades things in any way where the 2009 mono box set rips would be the superior version anyway—and therefore, maybe I'd be better off with the lossless HDtrack version anyway?

What is an obsessive Beatles audiophile supposed to do?!

20. soundQman

soundQman Forum Resident

Buy everything, of course!:D

Soundslave, tenthstreet and 360-12 like this.
  21. tenthstreet

tenthstreet Active Member

Haha. Maybe little by little over time so it doesn’t feel like I’m buying them all?

22. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I had to get the physical set of the super deluxe White Album. I ripped the 24/96 from the BD and it sounds great. Not sure if HDTracks version would sound better, the Sessions CDs sound great too, I know that they are only 16/44 but am happy with the set.

I did buy the DSD of Pendulum from Acoustic Sounds. It is taken from the master by our host, as was Cosmo's Factory which I bought first. Pendulum is my favorite CCR album, plan on listening to it in a bit. The Cosmo's Factory DSD sounded so good, I imagine Pendulum will sound just as good. Plan to get the rest of the CCR DSD albums, but with so many sets coming out might have to wait a bit for the rest.

23. jfp11801

jfp11801 Forum Resident

ended up buying the HD tracks super deluxe and am really impressed with the 2019 mix, esher tapes and most of the extras. While I respect the folks that find fault in the 2018 mix overall I think it is a revelation and provides more tonal texture in many cases over the 2009 release.

24. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

The "Mastered For iTunes" versions are good imo. I have the AP SACDs of Cosmo's Factory and Willy and the Poor Boys and I am happy with these versions. I also have the Fantasy Gold CD of Chronicle for all of the other stuff.

ccbarr likes this.
  25. agentalbert

agentalbert Forum Resident

It's nice that the Eagles "Singles & Bsides" portion of the bigger Legacy set is now available as a stand alone title. There's only a few of them I would want, so I don't think I'll buy it, but its good that its an option. I think the edit in "Best Of My Love" is atrocious. Very jarring, though I guess its impossible to say I'd feel that way if I didn't know how the full song sounded.

jeffmo789 likes this.