Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Evolution/innovation at Apple stopped with death of Steve Jobs.

2. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Last I checked, 24/44.1 was not considered "lossy", and I'm pretty sure some "Mastered for iTunes" versions are available for purchase in 24/96. To re-iterate, "Mastered for iTunes" doesn't mean lossy.

3. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

Apple does not sell 24/96 music to consumers. Their "mastered for iTunes" program will accept 24/96 files from labels/artists for mastering but the music is downsampled.

marcb and Dave 81828384 like this.
  4. Anodyne Jones

Anodyne Jones Forum Resident

I really have no idea what you are trying to communicate. Apple sells ONLY AAC files, Nothing else. Mastered For iTunes applies to no where else except the iTunes store.

What am I and several other posters missing...

5. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

You are missing the fact that the only available hi-res versions of many albums are the "Mastered for iTunes" versions, sold by the labels, not Apple. That way the label can do just one mastering; since they are making it for Apple, they can also go ahead and use it themselves. This has been discussed in various places here at SH Forums, in fact I think in this very topic thread a few months months or a year or two ago.

superstar19 likes this.
  6. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Wrong. Mastered for iTunes means 256kbps lossy files that were encoded from hi-res masters.

7. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Sorry but this is misinformation. Mastered-for-iTunes files that are sold by Apple are not hi-res. They are encoded from hi-res masters.
    You can say they are the only digital files that have a great mastering... but don't confuse hi-res with good mastering.

marcb likes this.
  8. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I believe what he’s saying is (and I have not read much about this, but his description is helping me to easily fill in the blanks):
    • Apple/iTunes standardizes their “Mastered for iTunes” process, a way of directly taking hi res masters to their iTunes Plus AAC format, cutting out the previous middle steps of dithering to 16 bit for CD, then making an MP3 from that.
    • Labels comply to get product out for downloads and streaming.
    • Labels say, “hmm, we made these nice hi res transfers/remasters, don’t really want to go backwards and just reissue CDs, let’s sell them as hi res downloads on stores like HD Tracks, etc.
    • We audiophiles don’t get physical product, but we can opt for hi res instead of iTunes, getting what many consider definitive digital versions of classic catalogs. See: Who, The.
    • Impetus for said hi res remasters were done initially for iTunes.

oneway23 likes this.
  9. Anodyne Jones

Nevermind.

TonyCzar likes this.
  10. Anodyne Jones

Mastered For Itunes is strictly marketing BS. Period. Encoding to AAC from a 24 bit file is not some genius method and it is not mastering. I make Mp3s from 24 bit downloads for my car every week,

Maybe I will sell them as "Mastered For AJ's Car"

11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Are you buying more or less high res downloads compared to last year?

Seems like the market for downloads in general is headed south, so curious what the forum perspective is.

eric777 likes this.
  12. tonewheeltom

Again, the original point was: the Mastered for iTunes initiative has yielded some excellent masterings in hi res. I have some hi res titles from The Who and The Beach Boys which are excellent. The MfiT argument you’re making has done to death on this thread and forum, but the OP’s concept is valid: we’ve got some excellent hi res masterings as a result. “AJ Does Not Have Access To The Who’s Back Catalog To Make New Remasters In 24/96.”

JeffMo likes this.
  13. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I have bought more this year then ever before. I plan to keep buying them as long as they keep selling them.

14. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I thought everyone smart enough to be here was also smart enough to be able to do some research before posting fake news
    What are the “Mastered for iTunes” requirements?

iTunes Mastering - "Mastered for iTunes" explained | JustMastering.com

So since this is the hi-res downloads folder, let's keep it on topic?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Simon A and tonewheeltom like this.
  15. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

I think people have read this. You haven't when you said earlier you were pretty sure that Apple sells 24/96 to consumers. They do not. The articles you site are for publishers sending file to Apple for "mastered for iTunes". Apple accepts files that are 24/96. However Apple does not spit out hi-res music for purchase.

TonyCzar likes this.
  16. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Less, I've bought too many brickwalled messes. Brickwalled 24 bit is no better than brickwalled 16 bit to my ears. I now only buy after seeing positive reviews on here or hard numbers on DR Database.

17. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Goo Goo Dolls-Let Love In
    HDTracks-24/88
    Analyzed: The Goo Goo Dolls / Magnetic (Deluxe Version)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR11 0.00 dB -13.31 dB 3:35 01-Rebel Beat
    DR12 0.00 dB -13.44 dB 3:34 02-When The World Breaks Your Heart
    DR11 0.00 dB -13.45 dB 3:12 03-Slow It Down
    DR11 0.00 dB -12.07 dB 3:58 04-Caught In The Storm
    DR11 -0.20 dB -13.60 dB 3:45 05-Come To Me
    DR11 0.00 dB -12.88 dB 3:17 06-Bringing On The Light
    DR11 0.00 dB -12.45 dB 3:26 07-More Of You
    DR12 0.00 dB -14.55 dB 3:23 08-BulletProofAngel
    DR10 -0.30 dB -12.20 dB 3:37 09-Last Hot Night
    DR13 0.00 dB -14.86 dB 3:32 10-Happiest Of Days
    DR10 -0.40 dB -11.41 dB 4:08 11-Keep The Car Running
    DR10 -0.52 dB -11.87 dB 4:36 12-Home (Live) [Bonus Track]
    DR10 -1.12 dB -12.36 dB 4:26 13-Black Balloon (Live) [Bonus Track]

MFIT
    Analyzed: The Goo Goo Dolls / Magnetic (Deluxe Version)

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR6 0.00 dB -8.09 dB 3:35 01-Rebel Beat
    DR6 -0.25 dB -8.59 dB 3:34 02-When the World Breaks Your Heart
    DR6 -0.18 dB -8.59 dB 3:12 03-Slow It Down
    DR6 0.00 dB -7.27 dB 3:58 04-Caught In the Storm
    DR6 -0.16 dB -9.10 dB 3:45 05-Come to Me
    DR6 -0.32 dB -8.32 dB 3:17 06-Bringing On the Light
    DR6 -0.36 dB -8.15 dB 3:26 07-More of You
    DR7 -0.48 dB -9.96 dB 3:23 08-Bulletproofangel
    DR6 -0.01 dB -7.40 dB 3:37 09-Last Hot Night
    DR7 0.00 dB -9.37 dB 3:32 10-Happiest of Days
    DR5 -0.19 dB -6.96 dB 4:08 11-Keep the Car Running
    DR6 -0.30 dB -7.89 dB 4:36 12-Home (Live) [Bonus Track]
    DR6 -0.29 dB -7.81 dB 4:26 13-Black Balloon (Live) [Bonus Track]

Kyhl and Centurion like this.
  18. Anodyne Jones

You seem to posting in code..if what you are implying that somehow MFIT was the IMPETUS behind some high rez remasters, please
    provide any proof. They are more than likely sold on the iTunes store first because it is low hanging fruit. And they counted on double dipping..
    obsessive fans who bought the MFIT versions then when the 24 bit versions became available bought those too. For example, there were many Springsteen fans who
    chose to be fleeced this way..

19. Vandenville

Vandenville Forum Resident

Same here. I got burned one too many times.

20. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I never said or posted that Apple sells music in any format higher than 256k AAC. And the fact that there are quite a few hi-res albums for sale by other vendors, that use the mastering from MFIT, should tell you something, but I won’t hold my breath waiting for you to figure it out. In an analogous way, much as I dislike the business model of MQA, it has apparently inspired the major labels to transfer many older albums in hi-res digital for sale as traditional PCM.

tonewheeltom likes this.
  21. Anodyne Jones

please provide any documentation that MFIT or MQA are the impetus behind any high rez remsters...second reqest.

22. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

I read your post (9394) "Last I checked, 24/44.1 was not considered "lossy", and I'm pretty sure some "Mastered for iTunes" versions are available for purchase in 24/96" as Apple sells 24/96. Whatever dude.

Anodyne Jones likes this.
  23. Raelamb

Raelamb Forum Resident

There is NOOOO 24/96 available for sale on Apple. Truth.

24. tonewheeltom

For the love of all that is holy, he never said Apple sold lossless files on iTunes!!!!

The masterings done (24/44.1-96) for iTunes have been made available for sale as lossless hi res on other sites.

Said titles were released on iTunes, labeled “Mastered for iTunes,” and simultaneously (or shortly thereafter) available in full resolution on others hi res sites, as the exact same masterings, not available on CD at times.

Based on the grammar, spelling, punctuation, and all caps usage of the dissenters, maybe English isn’t a primary language. Please stop derailing this informative thread if you’re going to be angry while you misrepresent what people have said.

Just scanning the replies I was able to understand the discussion. That, and paying attention as a consumer and reading this forum.

25. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Can we get the thread back onto the tracks?