Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. mongo

mongo Senior Member

As far as I've studied in Economics, more demand creates higher prices not lower for most everything except say gasoline in most cases.
    Look at vinyl new or used. High prices are not the result of low demand but the result of people willing to pay the price large or small market.
    As long as enough people pay the asking price, the prices will certainly not go lower.
    On one level they're doing you a favor by jacking the price on Zak Brown :oops:
    On the other hand I'm disappointed about the Ryan Adams live download.

Look, hi-res music anything has never been and will never be mass market unless it's the only option offered.
    As long a consumers have cheaper options they won't care and will always opt for the cheaper and/or more convenient option.
    The reason that 1080 penetration is as high as it is is a lot of reasons but mostly because that's what is offered.
    I still contend that a good chunk of TV owners have 1080 sets but little to no HD delivery in disc, cable or streaming.
    They sit too far from their set to "see" any worthwhile improvement from upscaled DVD to BD.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    vanye and artfromtex like this.
  2. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Here's a good (comparatively) deal on Pono.

R.E.M. - Chronic Town - 24/192 - $10.49

Cheaper than even 15% off the ProStudioMasters 24/96 price.

HDTracks: 24/96 $17.98, 24/192 $24.98
    ProStudioMasters: 24/96 $13.99, 24/192 $17.99

KDubATX likes this.
  3. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Does anyone have the current discount codes for HDTracks and Pro Studios? Thanks in advance:)

sound chaser likes this.
  4. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Pono has it priced "correctly", as it is an EP.

HDTracks is out of the ballpark completely.

crispi likes this.
  5. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Price tends towards marginal cost, right? And marginal cost is close to zero.

I don't think classic economic theory can apply where scarcity is artificial.

Tim

marcb and artfromtex like this.
  6. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

£6.11 on Qobuz

7. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

HDMAY12 - 15% although 20% sometimes appears randomly too.

J_D__ likes this.
  8. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

The market for HD downloads is not shrinking. HDtracks has seen year over year gains every year they have been in operation. That may not be the case this year because of all the competition they now have but HD downloads sales as a whole are actually on the rise not fall. You may be confusing it with the fact that downloads overall are down but that is mostly because of the lossy download market getting eaten alive by streaming services.

artfromtex likes this.
  9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, Qobuz has reported something like 200% annual growth.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  10. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Too bad that it is too compressed.

J_D__ and David Bostock like this.
  11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Which one is that for?

zonka likes this.
  12. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Someone who can't hear the difference between lesser formats and 2496 makes me very leery to own their work.

13. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I thought $25 for an ep was a little crazy! $10.50 and Im thinking maybe I can do the upgrade. Thanks!

14. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Let me rephrase..even if if the HD download market expands by a factor of 10 it is still a joke in overall sales compared to even a download of ONE top selling title on iTunes.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  15. Mij Retrac

That's not a rephrase that's a completely different point that I agree with but that wouldn't explain the raise in prices for HD especially considering there is usually nothing more involved in delivering the product to the HD download sites.

16. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Current HD download pricing just encourages buyers to group together and share releases. That then becomes a habit and so ...

goodiesguy, Mickactual, jhm and 3 others like this.
  17. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Any I think.

18. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Ordered Hemispheres at ProStudioMasters. I guess at this point it looks like I'll be re-buying pretty much all of these Rush re-issues.
    For the life of me I cannot get the download manager for PSM to work though. Every time I have made a purchase I have had to reach out for assistance to complete the download. That said, they do seem to have a helpful and responsive support team. Just wish I did not need separate finicky downloader applications for every HD music vendor...

EDIT: Ha Ha figured out my problem w the Download manager. Just me being dumb again

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  19. ServingTheMusic

Ok. We agree. But..let's even be conservative. Let's say it costs the labels around 3 grand to remaster and prepare and HD download. The rest of the cost of the recording has been recovered many, many times over with sales in previous physical formats. The pricing does not reflect any economic reality in my book.

20. ServingTheMusic

You are correct.

21. Mij Retrac

Most of the ones that I am seeing at a higher price are new releases that in most cases are the same master that they are sending to iTunes so there would be virtually no additional cost involved.

22. ServingTheMusic

Yes that can be the case, but there have been some remasters done specifically for download. But yes, for the most part you are right.

23. ServingTheMusic

HDT Upcoming releases...

RUSH - Hemispheres
    Graham Parker & The Rumour - Mystery Glue
    Madisen Ward and the Mama Bear - Skeleton Crew
    Jeff Beck - Live +
    The Yardbirds - Little Games
    Paul Weller - Saturns Pattern
    Harry Belafonte - Belafonte: At Carnegie Hall
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - One Hot Minute
    The Philadelphia Orchestra - Brahms: Symphony No. 3 & Strauss: Suite from Der Rosenkavalier
    Capella de la Torre - Water Music - Tales of Nymphs and Sirens

and more...

I'm all over The Yardbirds/Little Games..a long time fave.

24. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Not offering the new Faith No More in hi-res?? Damn...

25. ServingTheMusic

although..how would be categorize the "flat transfer" 24/192 series from Warner...