Hi-res downloads that are new remasters and top other releases?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gill-man, Oct 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident Thread Starter

Which hi-res downloads are new remasters rather than upscaled tracks and top all previous digital/CD releases?

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You know, I think in the case of analog-recorded projects, I think the mastering makes a bigger difference than the delivery format. A crap-mastered high-res released done by somebody with bad taste, using substandard submasters, is not going to sound better than a 20-year-old CD that was really well-mastered from a true master tape, and done with good taste and care.

There ain't no digital plug-in for talent, experience, and good taste. I'm reminded of a story I heard mastering engineer Ken Perry tell: he told me once in his career, he put up a song, tried a few things, and finally said, "you know what? This thing already sounds as good as it's ever going to sound." And he put it out the way it was, and it was a hit. So sometimes, a great mastering engineer knows when to do nothing, or maybe almost nothing when it's already good.

jpelg, SOONERFAN, Gill-man and 2 others like this.
  3. Gill-man

Absolutely!

4. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Ill take the 2-fer vinyl Pet Sounds captured at high res over the HD download any day.

The HD file may have more dynamic range but that says nothing about the authentic mix of the vinyl in the comfortable listening range that is immediately from the master tape.

I have listened to both back and forth and I prefer the more pure sound of analog captured as well as it can be.

Original mixes are hard to beat!

5. Gill-man

Are you comparing a vinyl sourced from a hi-res file or from an analog tape? Your post reads as it can be either one you’re talking about.

6. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Actually it is both.

Take the vinyl source from a first generation of analog tape, in this case the 2 Fer Pet Sounds that is pure analog and compare it to the high res file...or in my case, I took that pure analog record, transferred it at 192khz/24bit and put it to a bluray. Either scenario I find more satisfying than the HD file which is a wider dynamic range in a purely digital process (besides the first step that is obviously recorded analog back in 1966) that is outside the dynamic listening range that most people heard before the digital revolution.

Vinyl sourced from a high-res file (which is a digital capture straight from the source) is a waste of time to me. It is an unnecessary step that completely defeats the purpose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.