Hi-Rez Download Reviews - Comments About Music You've Purchased (or want to purchase) *Only*, Please

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindblanking, Nov 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King Thread Starter

Did you compare the Wilburys to the original CDs? A lot of people are saying the DR numbers are bad and therefore it's loud and compressed sounding. Although not sure who has actually listened and who's just yapping.

2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I bought the Wilburys collection. As a disclaimer I will say this is the first time I have ever heard the albums so have nothing to compare to. But when I listened on my Pono with B&W P7 headphones I thought they sounded great. Yes the DR numbers are apparently low but I didn't find it fatiguing to listen to in the slightest

3. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have listened to all 35 tracks. I own the original 1988 and 1990 Wilbury cds. I also own the Collection set. The 24/192 download sounds fantastic to these ears. Forget the DR and just listen. There appears to be more bass and the mids are def clearer. Jeff Lynne approved.

4. mindblanking

That's great to hear. Especially from someone who owns the original CDs AND actually listened.

Sci-Fi Kid and Fritz G23 like this.
  5. mindblanking

Listening to the Kristofferson S/T offering from HDTracks. Buy it if you're into his music. Will give you chills. I promise.

art, Plan9 and jfeldt like this.
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Disappointed with The Traveling Wilburys 24/192 collection.
    It's very compressed, sounds relentless. There's little natural dynamics left, to the point that the mix sometimes breaks up.
    Also tonality and resolution are nothing exceptional, though not too bad. It's forward and lacks depth. There's very little incentive left to buy this in Hi-Res IMO. I prefer the LPs mastered by Kevin Gray.
    Pass.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    Opeth, Khoff, Dino and 1 other person like this.
  7. mindblanking

Anyone pick up any of the Blue Oyster Cult stuff and have listened?

8. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

I picked up Cultosaurus Erectus. Based on the DR numbers, the theory is these are the 24/96 files from the 2012 Columbia Albums Collection remastered CD box set.

Not stunning or "audiophile", but I was more satisfied than expected.

Slightly compressed (DR11, vs DR13 from the previous CD editon I own), but this actually gives the album needed punch. The balance is solid - bass more prominent then I remember, well-defined soundstage, and noticeably longer decay in reverb. The main thing that detracts on this album is the wobbly cymbal crashes that sound "artifacty", but I assume this is the original recording.

I may pick up more albums - next on my list is Fire of Unknown Origin, because the CD I currently own of it is a pretty bad listen. But based on the Cultosaurus album, I would say if you own the 17-disc Columbia Albums Collection (I don't), you probably don't need these hi-res versions.

mindblanking likes this.
  9. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

I got the 24/96 of Spectres from hdtracks; first listen i was somewhat impressed with a little more clarity and detail than the old unremastered cd. Then i felt maybe it seemed a little compressed, so listened to the cd; ah, there's the warmth i felt was lacking slightly in the hi res version, but at the expense of that clarity and detail. The compression isn't a big difference to my ears but I'm not nearly as sensitive to that as many are that post on this forum. Overall, the 24/96 isn't bad at all to me, but I think I still prefer the old unremastered cd simply for the warmth.

mindblanking likes this.
  10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I have just bought Ghosts of No by Elysian Fields, in 24bit/88.2kHz, and it's one of the best-sounding releases I have ever had the pleasure to hear! Really Hi-Res demo material, the upgrade from the CD is noticeable.
    And the music is better than their last two albums IMO. I'm very happy with this purchase.

[​IMG]

So far it seems it's only available on Qobuz: Ghosts of No »

Centurion and mindblanking like this.
  11. mindblanking

Anyone pick up anything good lately? Bought the DSD download of Mingus, Mingus, Mingus from Acoustic Sounds and it's great! Thinking about picking up one of the Pete Townsend offerings today from HD Tracks. Thoughts?

12. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

2016 hi-res Blue Note titles on HDtracks and ProStudioMasters:

Blue Mitchell - The Thing To Do
    John Patton - Let 'Em Roll
    Sam Rivers - Fuchsia Swing Song

... all sound fantastic! :righton:

Starwanderer and mindblanking like this.
  13. mindblanking

Big Blue Mitchell fan so that's nice to hear...

rxcory likes this.
  14. mike_c

mike_c Forum Resident

Is there a verdict on the new Coltrane Impulse reissues being offered on HDTracks? Worth picking up? Also, any idea who did the mastering on them?

15. mindblanking

According to some stuff I read on the other thread yes but it was a bit confusing.

16. mike_c

mike_c Forum Resident

Hmmm... I searched for discussion on this topic in this forum but couldn't come up with much. Can you provide a link for the thread you are referring to? Thanks!

17. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I bought them and the ones I listened to sounded good but have to admit I wasn't listening critically.

18. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I bought a couple of those DSD Mingus titles. I can't remember which one it was but one of them had some bad drop outs unfortunately. :(

19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I picked up Empty Glass, Cowboys and White City. I'm not an expert audiophile but, I like the sound quality. As someone had mentioned, the bass guitar seems to be more prominent in the mixes. I particularly like Cowboys.

joelee and Jet Age Eric like this.
  20. I'd love to know if this is the same mastering used on the Kristofferson Complete Albums box set. I hope HDTracks used a different mastering.

art likes this.
  21. mindblanking

mike_c likes this.
  22. mindblanking

Anybody given the Buffalo Springfield offerings a shot? Might do it tonight.

23. art

art Senior Member

I got 'Again' and it's worth it. Dynamic and warm and detailed.

kBear, Plan9 and mindblanking like this.
  24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Good to know. Is it the mono or stereo mix?

25. art

art Senior Member

Stereo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.