High end power cords do make a difference!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tom Littlefield, Nov 12, 2017.

1. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

I thought I was supposed to trust my ears. :confused: When this that suddenly stop being the end-all deciding factor in all things audio?

Since you have the ability to conduct spectral analyses, perhaps you would be so good as to post the results on frequency response, distortion and noise on amplifiers across a wide range of output levels using OEM power cords, compared with others. I would be very interested in those findings.

My opinion is that you (and many) overestimate it. I've been up and down this hobby long enough to understand the limitations of human hearing. Even more limited is auditory memory.

Electrons do not know how much a cable costs. Either wire gauge is sufficient to the application or it is not and the "filtering" argument has been put to rest.

High resistance cable = voltage loss. Was never in dispute. Point?

H8SLKC likes this.
  2. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

I have no idea what you are talking about.

H8SLKC likes this.
  3. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

You measure for what is wrong and right.

You listen for what is wrong and right - to you.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

He could be right but I have tried many amps on the Denali tower and it always makes an improvement. Also, I don't think power supply design addresses all the noise issues like component to component interference and ghz and mhz noise on the line. You could probably find a dealer in Boston that carries either Synergistic or Shunyata and do an overnight audition.

5. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

"M5", "track" and "lap time" are the most interesting things I've found in this thread. Thank you.

lonelysea likes this.
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

That's not happening. Right now, I'd rather spend the money on some Symposium products rather than something the designer of CAT amps (Ken Stevens) is telling me to avoid. I know Ken personally and he has no dog in the fight. He does appreciate tube rolling, isolation devices and cables.

Dennis0675 and Rolltide like this.
  7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Designers are not correct 100% of the time. Best to use your own ears and experiment.

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

No way. Not gonna happen. Again, there are so many other audio things I'd rather spend my money on...like that cool looking ground device in your article.

9. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

This is my version of a high end power cable. I know others here have done this.

We just finished a large home renovation project. Mid-way through the project I asked about having a dedicated 20 amp circuit running from the electric panel to an outlet in my living room with 12-gauge Romex (instead of the usual 14 gauge). The idea was to have a dedicated power source for my stereo. Well, the general contractor started to nickel-and-dime lots of little things, so I pulled the idea.

Anyway, fast forward a couple months: I pulled the electrician aside and offered to give him a bit of cash on the side to do the circuit. To my surprise he said they went ahead and did it anyway! Well, kind of. He said they installed 3 outlets in the living room on one 20 amp circuit run with 12 gauge cable. Definitely not going to let anybody plug anything else into those 2 extra outlets, haha!

Now I guess the stock power cords for my components will be a weak link. D'oh!

10. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

High resistance cable? The lamp cord is not high resistance cable. Why do you think that?

You could connect 10 - 6ft "lamp cord" extension cords together, plug it into a wall receptacle outlet and the voltage measured, with a multimeter, at the receptacle outlet at the end of the last cord will measure the same, exactly the same, voltage measured at the wall outlet. In fact you could string 20 of the cords together and measure the same exact voltage as measured at the wall outlet. Wouldn't matter if the cords are #12 gauge wire or 18 gauge wire. Do you know why?

VD = 2 x R x I x L / CM

VD = voltage drop of the circuit
    R resistance of the conductor
    I = amps
    L = length of the circuit from the supply to the load
    CM = circular mils (conductor wire gauge)

11. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

"This is a calculator for the estimation of the voltage drop of an electrical circuit based on the wire size, distance, and anticipated load current."

Voltage Drop Calculator

Higlander likes this.
  12. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

When I read threads like this, I picture audio equipment CEOs on their knees praying that every high school physics class has a beautiful girl sitting in the front row.

13. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Threads like this call this one to mind: :laugh:

[​IMG]

Lonson, Dave, timind and 1 other person like this.
  14. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I'd be hugely surprised to find where I had ever suggested anyone limit sensory input or measurement when making any decision.

I was also not offering to do any major testing initiative, especially of amplifiers. I have a look at my room to confirm or complete what I hear. I have found a degree of variation as well as confirmation of general realities in regards to testing. It's not the sort of data that tells you about small changes. It does highlight standing waves and major room nodes. I'd not expect it to reveal any changes that could conceivably be caused by a power cord.

15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

haha, fair enough. The ground plane technology made a big difference in my room.

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Unfortunately (fortunately?) this is not how it works. Good after-market power cords can have offer a major improvement in sound over stock cords.

F1nut likes this.
  17. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Touched it up for you. ;)

mando_dan, missan and H8SLKC like this.
  18. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

You're wasting you time. You are not going to change the mind of a person that says he connected several cheap "lamp cords" together end to end, (16awg wire gauge at best) and connected a 150 wpc power amp to it. He said he couldn't hear any difference in SQ. Just a guess the OEM 6ft power cord that came with the amp is 14 gauge, maybe 12 gauge. It depends on the manufacture of the amp and the quality of the power supply.

formu_la, F1nut, Dave and 2 others like this.
  19. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Where do you get off thinking your experiences supersede those of all others!?

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Would you consider trying any after market power cords, 62caddy? You seem so set in your ways.

LeeS and F1nut like this.
  21. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

You could equally ask why they don't they spend more on isolating an amp from mechanical vibration, it presumably comes down to cost.

22. Pastafarian

I'm struggling to understand the logic behind this statement, can you elaborate?

23. Pastafarian

Auditory memory, you use this as though the research done was relevant to listening to music via your system, it wasn't, yet your whole approach seems to be evidence based.

Over 300 post and a quick scroll showed 2 people agree they've heard no difference. Defending your position can be seen as an attribute but at some point it becomes foolhardy.

Tullman and F1nut like this.
  24. Pastafarian

Some more experience although I'm going back to 2002 when I bought my LAT cables. I had the opportunity to try 3 different cables, in my system, at different price points

• Adusa £ 70
    • LAT £100
    • Nordost £900
    Unfortunately their effectiveness increased with price and the Nordost was significantly better, I went with the LAT. The biggest effect was on my power amp, REL sub and power supply.

25. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

Good example is the final test for a piece of ARC audio equipment. The final test for a piece of ARC equipment is the "Warren Test". If Warren doesn't like how it sounds it goes back out on the bench and test equipment is used to find out why. When the problem is found and corrected the piece of equipment then goes back to Warren's Listening room. Only when Warren is happy, satisfied, with how it sounds, will it be boxed and shipped.

LeeS and GyroSE like this.