High end power cords do make a difference!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tom Littlefield, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Considering that stating one doesn't hear a difference is a bit of a thread crap, there are probably many here who don't hear a difference that just haven't bothered responding. IIRC there have been polls on this Forum on this topic that show a much closer spread. Likewise, it would be interesting to know whether any of the proponents receive compensation through the success of cable companies.

2. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Ahh, my brain was upside down, I'm much better today.

jea48 likes this.
  3. Pastafarian

You have a strange concept of thread crap, unless we just want a peer confirmation, I certainly welcome other experience, also you can try on return basis so only outlay is the return postage cost.

With a poll we've no idea if the vote is based on hearing a high end cables

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  4. I'm not saying whether I do or don't hear a difference, I'm just stating why you might not be hearing from others with different view points in this specific thread.

5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

You think some people posting here are on the take from the power cable conglomerates? Hell, I'm a paranoid hippie but that might a leap for even me.

6. Reviewers, retailers, manufacturers, etc.

missan likes this.
  7. Pastafarian

I can assure you I do not have any affiliation with any Cable manufacturer but now you've raised that as a possibility, I love fake news and money.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  8. missan

missan Forum Resident

I think it's rather easy to look at those that are very positive to certain brands.

9. Pastafarian

Well I'd prefer to know your experience rather than spurious science, based on a misunderstand of what Psychologists are interested in.

Actually someone else may have used psychology:confused:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  10. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

But,......

What is the title of this thread?

High end power cords do make a difference!

Posted by,
    Tom Littlefield

OK I had not bought anything for my system in a while so I replaced the power cords on my amp and phono stage with DH Labs Silver Sonic Encore. I did notice a slight improvement in the sound especially the mids, total cost was less than $200.

So I said what the heck why don't I replace the cord on my APC power conditioner. That is where everything is plugged into anyway.

Originally ordered an Essential Sound Product MusicCord but Steve at The Cable Company got back to me and said that ESP did not have the 3 meter size in stock that I needed. He gave me a real good deal (almost 50% off) on the higher end Music Cord ES and I said go ahead. Total cost of this was $265.

My system sounded great before (you can look at my profile to see what it is comprised of) but now the mids and highs have more detail. The money spent was well worth the ROI!!

Is the OP asking for opinions from members that do not believe power cords can make difference? JMHO, I don't think so. I think the OP wants to hear the opinions from other members that can hear differences.

Tullman likes this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

If that is the case it is a misguided marketing Strategy

12. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

The O.P simply mentioned a positive experience he had with a purchase.
    I see no request about even wanting opinions of either view.
    To me, that means he is leaving the thread open to interpretation?

Pastafarian likes this.
  13. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

You might very well be right.

I guess the only way to find out for sure is for Tom Littlefield to respond.

Higlander likes this.
  14. Pastafarian

We'll see how I go on with my Magic beats science thread:hide:, no response allowed.

15. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident Thread Starter

My post was to share a positive experience that I had and wanted to start a conversation on the subject.

I often find on this forum that the people who are negative on subjects like this (and that includes higher end inter-connects, speaker wire etc) have never even tried them. They just think that it is "snake oil" and don't want to spend the money. But with most things in life better products and experiences usually come with a higher price tag.

Tullman, F1nut, Matt R. and 7 others like this.
  16. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

[​IMG]

mando_dan likes this.
  17. Pastafarian

You may mock but it's based on Black Box modelling and will be supported by scientific evidence. I feel this thread is drifting towards daft, I'll stop now.

18. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

No mocking. Just having fun with magic. I'm closer to agreeing with you than you think.

Pastafarian likes this.
  19. Clsmooth391

Clsmooth391 Member

Nordost Vishnu made a big difference but in a negative way. So much detail but the dynamic range got compressed and the sound became sterile.

The HiDiamond P4 has made a good positive difference. Very 3 dimensional sound with better clairty.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  20. harby

harby Forum Resident

"Green Marker on a CD does make a difference!" (mods, please delete any of the vast contrary information)

vwestlife likes this.
  21. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

The Vishnu has to carefully matched- get it wrong and it sounds bad, get it right and they can sound good as in very good indeed.:)

All in my room and system.:thumbsup:

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

What is your system? Your profile is blank.

23. Andy Saunders

l use Nordost Vishnu on my amplifier ( Vincent SV-237MK.)

Also on a TEAC PDH-600 CD Player. ( That at RRP is cheaper than the Vishnu) which l got a really low price or would not have purchased it otherwise, this improved the sound of the Vincent and TEAC A LOT, however l tried it on a Tom Evans Groove phono stage l used to have and this would make your ears bleed- not a nice combination.:)

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Tullman likes this.
  24. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

I haven't contributed to this thread up until now.But i will say that the right to an opinion as long as it is not abusive or off topic is an important thing on any forum.I think a request from a moderator to refrain from the 'don't waste your money' cliche' and be slightly more constructive would have been more than adequate.

My concern is that people will not be getting both sides of the argument..Should i spend my hard earned money on power cords? Looking at a thread that only gives a positive viewpoint and deletes any posts suggesting otherwise in not a really genuine thread at all.But i fully understand the motive of this censorship is to make the thread constructive and to try to stop it collapsing in on itself.But i think care needs to be taken.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  25. Andy Saunders

If anyone wants to see if they like a high end power cable, why not try a home demo, that is the only way- much like a lot of kit these days.:)

F1nut, Dave and curbach like this.