High end turntables in tv shows and the movies

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by James_S888, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

thxdave likes this.
  2. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

James Woods is in a movie where he plays some sort of high ranking military guy and in his house/apt. he is seen wiping off an album and putting it on a wall-mounted TT. I think the movie might be The General's Daughter.

3. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Angelina Jolie's table of choice in Tomb Raider I
    sorry couldn't find a shot of her playing it

[​IMG]

ClearAudio Master Reference

asindc likes this.
  4. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

Alex in A Clockwork Orange.

Later, Chris

Attached Files:

5. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Wow, that is a nice setup.

6. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

In the USA show "Suits" (discussed earlier in this tread), I see the turntable and amp ... but where are the speakers in his office?

7. ZootAllures

ZootAllures Forum Resident

Looks like a JA Michell to me...

8. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

In the film "Looper", Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character owns a Michell Gyrodec. Such is his dedication to it that he takes it with him on his travels around the world. (Packing my Orbe up for the 90-mile round trip to my dealer for a cartridge upgrade is enough to give me the vapours.) Good to see that it's still functioning in 2044.

Whaddya know, there's even a (small) website devoted to the deck's use in the film:

http://www.loopermovieturntable.com/

9. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Active Member

The B&O turntable (Beogram 4004?) in "Dawn of the dead" (1978) :)

Gasman1003 likes this.
  10. demetri_j

demetri_j Forum Resident

In a recent episode of Covert Affairs on USA network, the character Auggie has 2 Pro-ject turntables in his place that look sweet. One had a wood finish if i recall

11. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

I saw this fancy-looking number in Leslie Nielsen's bedroom in the George A. Romero/Stephen King Creepshow from 1982 over the weekend, and it reminded me of this thread.

[​IMG]

PS nice velour leisure suit :D

12. Linus Vendeen

Linus Vendeen Forum Resident

I would expect Morse to have an LP12, I assume he was a Quad man too.

13. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I have noticed this too. The latest movie that came out in October 2015 shows him put on an album. Based on the tonearm and controls, it looked like it might be a Thorens turntable. But I could not tell what model.

Karnak likes this.
  14. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Sure it counts!!....because I uploaded it! :)I've come very close to pulling the clip or cutting off the comments due to the hate that many folks have for the assembly method. Frankly, that part made ME cringe too!

15. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson Active Member

[​IMG]

Maron on IFC has had a pretty sweet Mcintosh setup going for the last couple seasons.

He even uses it, imagine that!

Pinknik likes this.
  16. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

They have been popping up in the background on more and more commercials lately. Cadillac, some mortgage company etc

17. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I'm glad you kept it up since it shows how a 'real' turntable is made, not molded out of plastic like one of those USB tables you see now.
    People only show their ignorance when they show hatred for the turntable being assembled.

18. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Matt Damon in The Departed had a bunch of Mcintosh equipment and one of the episodes of Sopraono's I remember had a scene with a turntable and one of the kids said something about the mono Rubber Soul LP next to it being cool.

19. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Not sure what manufacturer of table he has but James Spader's character uses one in the Blacklist.

20. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Arthur was just using one on King of Queens lol

21. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

From the very recent french film: Une Heure de Tranquillité

[​IMG]

and this is the film's plot summary:
    • Michel, passionate about jazz, has just discovered a rare album that he dreams to listen quietly in his living room. But the world seems to have conspired against him, his wife just chose that moment to make her untimely revelation, his son shows up unexpectedly, one of his friends is knocking on the door, while his mother keeps calling him on his mobile. Not to mention the fact that it's today the famous Neighbours' Day. Manipulator, liar, Michel is desperate to have peace. Is it still possible today to have an hour of peace?

- Written by edc-claire on iMDb.com

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  22. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

In reality he says he can't afford it.

Jacob Johnson likes this.
  23. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I haven't watched it in years (and don't plan on watching it any time soon) but I remember in the movie 'Foxes' (Jodi Foster, Cherie Currie, Scott Baio) there was a scene where one of the girls had a party at her much older boyfriend's house and his system got trashed. I don't know if it was high end, or if you can even tell from the scenes, but I do know he had a pretty sweet poster of the KISS solo albums hanging above it.

24. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Amazon's Bosch... Marantz 6300 & an invisible cable system.

[​IMG]

25. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

In the books authored by Michael Connelly the gear is described but not identified. In one book Harry is annoyed when a fellow detective puts a beer bottle on a speaker. Harry quickly picks up the bottle an wipes away the ring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.