High Fidelity the TV show ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mazzy, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazzy

Mazzy Sir Mazzy Thread Starter

George P likes this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

What’s truly startling is that the movie is now 18 years old. That’s crazy.

mr. steak and Mazzy like this.
  3. Terrible idea. A series based on High Fidelity might be OK, but that character won't work as a woman. And enough with the damn gender-flipping already; come up with an original idea instead.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Woman vinyl junkie????
    Very rare, very rare ..unique in fact.

Vinyl_Blues and ted321 like this.
  5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

A woman, they really don't get the world of record shops and obsessive record collecting, the fact that some pursuits and behaviours are predominantly dominated by one gender or the other doesn't have anything to do with gender equality, it makes about as much sense as casting women as serial killers in all new films. I know women who are musicians, deejays and serious record collectors, women with a great depth of knowledge about music and records, but none of them cross that line of dysfunctional obsessiveness that so many men do, it just doesn't work with a female lead.

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

A woman record collector who reorganizes her collection autobiographically? Too far fetched!

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

When does "The Woman from A.U.N.T." premiere?

8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Warped idea. They need to cut out these crazy remakes. This show will be scratched in record time.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

But vinyl is so cool and hip now. Shouldn't she run a vintage CD store?

Echo and mr. steak like this.
  10. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Let's face it, this show would probably suck regardless of the gender swap.

Gumboo likes this.
  11. agentalbert

I don't know. I'd watch a weekly 30 minute sit-com about a depressed owner of a vintage music store and his (or her) obsessive music collector friends. I still think they should make it a CD shop rather than vinyl. Maybe they could get ahold of one of the ultra-rare Aerosmith "Rocks" SACDs!

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  12. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

This doesn't sound good. Even with a male lead, it's probably bound to fail.

13. Strummergas

Aside from MASH, what other movie premise has translated well over to television? I mean sure, this one might be an exception, but the track history isn't favorable.

14. agentalbert

Stargate would be one.

Dubmart likes this.
  15. Strummergas

Yep, I had forgotten about that one.

16. Mazzy

Mazzy Sir Mazzy Thread Starter

Maybe - maybe not. Sometimes a show that is based on great earlier material actuals works on its own merits; MASH, Bates Motel, Fargo. But yes there are countless more that bombed. All depending on the writing and show runner....

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  17. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Are they going to set this show in the current age or is it going to be circa 1960s/1970s/1980s? This could be an interesting period piece in a lot of ways if the writing is up to snuff. I really don't care about the gender of the lead.

18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

That's not the only thing they are changing. The TV show will be PG-13 to fit in with Disney's family friendly approach and will be a departure from the both the book and the movie. It'll be "an optimistic-in-tone mixtape/diary rom-com."

This article delivers more cringe worthy details: 'High Fidelity' Is Being Turned into a Disney TV Series

Basically they're just piggy backing off the High Fidelity IP for marketing purposes.

Deesky likes this.
  19. DPM

DPM Senior Member

NOOOOOO! :shake:

20. That's too bad. I could imagine an acceptable kinda Disney show focused around a Cool Record Store Chick and her wacky colleagues and customers, but I don't know what value bringing the High Fidelity name into it is going to add, given the target audience. Trying to hook the parents too?

21. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

My aunt; unfortunately she passed away several years ago.

22. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

See post above.

23. Daniel Plainview

:shake:

24. agentalbert

Yeah, making it Disney friendly and focusing on the romantic comedy aspect doesn't sound interesting to me at all. Sounds like something that would be on the CW.

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Disney often has the best ideas...and then somebody steps in to "make them better".

They should have left it at, "Disney is starting a streaming service".

Yes, Mickey, we get it: every time you develop a product now, it has to include a "Disney princess" iconic, strong-female-type character who can serve as a role model and elevate the lead cast member to inspire young girls to...grow older, watch a lot of ABC network shows, where every show eventually has to take a vacation to a Disney property, decide to buy an old record shop, and hope someday John Cusak and Jack Black will swoop in to take it off your hands because YOU ARE A TERRIBLE BUSINESS PERSON.

(as evidenced by your decision to buy into the notion that you could actually be under 40 and start a record shop)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    DHamilton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.