High Fidelity the TV show ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mazzy, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

What are you people talking about? I can name three record stores owned by women in Kansas City off the top of my head - Love Records, the Music Exchange and Dirt Cheap Recycled Sounds (RIP Anne Winter).

You can make an excellent show just featuring stories about Annie. She had the show on the local community radio station KKFI called The Orphan Annie Show, she founded Kansas City's St Patrick's Day Parade and when she died the funeral home was so crowded you literally could not fit one more person in - they just couldn't open the door.

I remember one time she volunteered her record store to host an Amnesty International benefit concert. People showed up and moved every single record out of the store into the basement, set up the stage, enjoyed the concert, and then hung around afterwards to bring all the records back up from the basement so she could open the store the next morning.

[​IMG]

Just because some of you weren't lucky enough to know somebody like Annie doesn't mean she didn't exist.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  2. Mazzy

Mazzy Sir Mazzy Thread Starter

And Electric Fetus in Minneapolis.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

...and Laurie's Planet of Sound near my home in Chicago.

Honestly, it's hard to believe so many of these guys are single.

Chris from Chicago and Mazzy like this.
  4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

But you gotta admit, that Bernie The Vampire Slayer book was pretty weak; Wheedon's puttting a spin on it was a stroke of genius!

This is the part where you know I'm kidding, right? It's not like one of you poindexters is gonna pipe-in with, "No, Buffy was the original idea.." :rolleyes:

6. I manage quite* well, so it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility. Saying that, I certainly wouldn't be suitable for a PG-13 audience (not that you'd ever know it from my posts online - I conduct myself a lot better when I'm able to go back and refine every word before hitting the submit button)!

*I'll admit, the folders on my computer might default to alphabetical order, but my physical music collection is very much structured in a way that reflects the sequence everything was purchased in.

7. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Guess they were aiming for the SH forum crowd.

8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

So...a one woman show? Interesting. :D

9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Some of you are pretty hostile at the notion of a strong female lead- not to mention a female record collector.......
    Part of the reason why there are few females on this forum.......

Let’s hope that this series doesn’t try to repeat the novel or movie’s plot. I think it’d be fun to feature record collector stories- if done authentically.

Personally, the Hi Fidelity book helped save my life when I was going thru my divorce in 1999. The movie was good though: it was successful at moving the action from England to US. I was pretty skeptical about that.

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The link I posted previously states that this will be a departure from the both the novel and the movie. As for record collector stories...it's a rom-com. It won't be featuring any record collecting stories although I imagine there will be at least one or two record collector cliche type characters.

It's a Disney PG-13 "an optimistic-in-tone mixtape/diary rom-com." TV show. Doesn't really scream authentically handled record collector stories does it?

For the record, I'm not bothered by the female lead.

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah not really sure why but I suppose apart from hooking parents along, it probably results in more column inches in the press.

12. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Thanks. After I posted, I thought I myself, “ I didn’t read the article! I’m one of THOSE people!!”

13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Are there gonna be female "Barry & Dick", too?
    I loved those two MORE that the lead!

Thomas D and George P like this.
  14. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

That was my first encounter with Jack Black, and some of his scenes are among the funniest in any movie ever.

They are going to have a tough time replacing Barry.

15. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Unlike MASH, this one even improved over the film. :)

Dudley Morris likes this.
  16. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

OK, another good one.

17. George P

George P Notable Member

I suspect that I am alone in this, but I liked the Napoleon Dynamite cartoon show.

18. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

George P likes this.
  19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

he got extra points fro discussing the first Beefheart lp:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.