Highest quality replacement for original lift-lock jewel case?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wie Gehts?, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member Thread Starter

As most of us know, the original DCC and MFSL gold CDs came packaged in a "Shape CD 2001" lift-lock jewelbox. The knock-offs sold on eBay are very cheaply made and unacceptable to me. I know that some here have expressed a preference for the non-lift-lock case, but of those who like the lift-locks, have you located a source for a high-quality replacement? TIA.

2. fatcat28037

fatcat28037 Forum Resident

3. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Mobile fidelity sells them too..

go to mofi.com

4. ListenUp

ListenUp Senior Member

I researched these cases a few years ago and discovered that the original "shape" cases had been licensed to another manufactuer.When this happened the "shape" logo was dropped.The new manufacturer and the original one both claimed the new product was identical to the original one.

5. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

I have a box of 8 sitting on my shelf - from gottahaveitmusic in Indiana.

6. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member Thread Starter

Not any longer. I copied this from their site:

1/31/07 Liftlock Jewel Cases No Longer Being Manufactured

Despite our efforts to persuade the manufacturer of these cases to continue production, it is with great regret that we must announce that Lift-Lock jewel cases are no longer being made. At this time, we are sold out.

There is no doubt that some faithful MoFi customers will be very upset by this news. Please understand that we had no choice and no advance notice in this matter. We have done everything within our power to try to get the manufacturer to reconsider and continue production, to no avail.

7. wkohler

wkohler Forum Resident

Get them from Elusive Disc. They don't have the Shape logo on them, but I just switch out the center section. They aren't that expensive if you buy in bulk. I bought 300.

Don't buy anything from sleevetown.com - they can't package to save their life and their customer service leaves much to be desired.

8. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

I'm too are looking for those. Could not find them on Elusive disc site.

9. wkohler

wkohler Forum Resident

Well, after doing some research, I came upon some pretty sad news at musicdirect.com:

Of course the same thing is above, so if I had read it...

10. parker63

parker63 Forum Resident

So, you can't even get them directly from Mobile Fidelity?

This stinks...I just received an MFSL R.E.M. disc from eBay with a crack in the jewel box backing (thankfully CD itself is fine) and wanted to get a replacement lift-lock jewel box, but...where? I couldn't find anything on elusivedisc.com either...does "gottahaveit" still have them?

Man, I just need one of these. :realmad:

11. parker63

parker63 Forum Resident

Hmmm...elusivedisc.com was called: no longer available for sale. Gottahaveitmusic hasn't returned my email. Musicdirect tells me the only way that you can get one is to buy a single blank Mo-Fi UltraDisc CD-R and use the case...about $11 shipped!!! :shake:

So I guess there's a patent dispute? Are these available somewhere/anywhere but known as a different name/brand/etc??? Frustrating!

12. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Reviving a very old thread.

I just purchased 5 brand new lift lock cases from Elusive Disc without the "shape cd 2001" and I'm having a difficult time getting them to work. The black lift lock part seems to be slightly out of spec, so that it comes away from the clear case almost every time I open it. After manipulating all sorts of configurations with the clear cases and the black lift locks, I got two that sort of work, but not like the old Shape cases.

Am I doing something wrong or has anyone had problems with these non-shape 2001 cases?

13. danfaz

danfaz New Member

I just received a 12 pack of "MFSL" lift-locks from rubberdisc.com. They are identical to the OE cases I have on some of my DCC titles. They weigh 2.6 ounces as do the OE, are exactly the same dimensions, have the same "dots" to hold the liner notes, same rough edge on the outer edge (opposite the dots), and the locking mechanism is exactly the same.

Even the "patent pending" on the back of the case and underside of the locking tray is the same. The only difference is the "Shape CD 2001" is not there. Highly recommended. :righton:

14. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

15. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Nice,so these are the good liftlock cases?I could use a few of these.

16. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

As I said it was awhile ago and what I ordered seemed identical sans the logo.

17. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Sounds good. I`ll try some.

18. danfaz

danfaz New Member

Yep, I can't tell a difference when held side by side with an original. The weight would indicate to me there's been no skimping on materials.

19. Bart1

Bart1 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.