Hip Hop Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FunBrownSugar, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

You guys don't know how happy it makes me to see some Scienz Of Life on here. They're sooooo underrated and not very well known so I have this huge grin on my face right now.

There's three dudes rapping, yeah they're not the greatest by any means but they're one of my favorite groups so I gotta stay reppin them every chance I get. The first guy rapping is Lil Sci aka John Robinson, he's gotten better over the years. He's put out some really dope solo/collaborations/guest spots IMO, the dude has a great ear for beats and artists to work with - usually on the jazz and experimental electronic tip.

Here's a killer track from his collab album with UK rapper and producer Lewis Parker:

Campbell Saddler and JohnnyQuest like this.
  2. Machiventa

Another one with Lewis Parker

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  3. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

The song is ok but he definitely reminds of me Talib Kweli for some reason. Maybe it's his voice tone or the way he spits.
    Check this out

4. Machiventa

Love Panacea!

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  5. JohnnyQuest

R.I.P. Capital Steez

Ayo I don't really cry, ask why/
    Cause inside, no one ever really dies/
    Your presence is still alive/

Campbell Saddler and Machiventa like this.
  6. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

one of my few valuable cds left, in my top 10 favorite rap albums of all time, this is in a league with other southern classics like "ATLiens" "Soul Food" and "The Diary". The production and rapping is great and it flows so well from start to finish, if only this would see an lp release I'd be first in line to buy

7. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I had a vote for your 3 favorite Hip Hop albums discussion with my coworkers the other day and I would then stream the album and we would comment on their pick.

I was turned on to Souls Of Mischief 93 and the first Pharcyde album which was right in my wheel house. Great stuff.

8. NapalmBrain

both amazing albums, I first heard bizarre ride when I was 10 so it was stuck with me for years. Make sure to check out their album labcabincalifornia

9. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident

Be on the look out for Soul's new album out 8/19, produced entirely by Adrian Younge (Ghostface's 12 Reason's To Day).

10. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

1, 2 Pass It (DJ Premier Remix)

I had no idea a video of this existed. I love KRS-One over a Primo beat. For me, Jeru kills knocks it out of the park. Even with guys like Fat Joe and Smif 'n Wessun on the track, Jeru shines. I wish he and Primo would work together again.

11. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

Based on what I heard on The Sun Rises In The East, Jeru has a way of working his flow very effectively within Primo's tracks. I have Jeru's Wrath Of The Math coming in the mail and am looking forward to it and another DJ Premier production, Group Home's Livin' Proof:

[​IMG]

"Supa Star" (Primo chops up Cameo very well here):

LavidDange and NapalmBrain like this.
  12. NapalmBrain

one of primo's best productions, I used to have the original lp had to sell when times were tough though

Campbell Saddler and LavidDange like this.
  13. JohnnyQuest

Stellar production by MF Doom with imaginative lyrics by Ghostface.

14. LavidDange

Ghost %%Doom knocked down a few smalls barriers in hop hop with this crazy track. Nice mention.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  15. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Livin' Proof settled the argument Guru introduced on "Mostly The Voice" from Gang Starr's Hard To Earn. Livin' Proof is easily the best produced album with the worst rapping that I can think of. Lil Dap is okay, but Malichi The Nutcracker can't rap. Hearing him over these golden-era Primo beats is difficult. A bad rapper can basically ruin the track, and great production can't save it. So I guess Guru was right.

16. Cage's Movies for the Blind is a really interesting album in the mold of Eminem's better work. He kind of lost his way after getting farther and farther away from that Eastern Conference Records sound.

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  17. Campbell Saddler

I appreciate the assessment: I'll see if Livin' Proof gets dragged down by Malichi after I receive it in the mail...

18. Campbell Saddler

Some interesting sample choices/production as I listen to it on YouTube...

19. I think Dj Mighty Mi handled most of the production, with a couple of tracks done by Necro and El-P. The one sample that sticks out most is the Andrew Dice Clay bit.

20. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Well, I'd never recommend against it. I just find it to be one of rap's great missed opportunities.

21. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

22. JohnnyQuest

This is my ****

23. LavidDange

New Common out today!

JohnnyQuest and drasil like this.
  24. JohnnyQuest

25. jgreen