Hip Hop Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FunBrownSugar, Nov 2, 2013.

1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

jiffypopinski and LavidDange like this.
  2. JohnnyQuest

This is by far my favorite 9th Wonder beat. :love: What a strange sample.

3. JohnnyQuest

4. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I like that. :cheers:

The lyrics remind me of Tribe's "Phony rappers who do not write/Phony rappers who do not excite".

LavidDange and JohnnyQuest like this.
  5. Naughty Chord

Check out D'Angelo & Q-Tip bringing the dirty funk on this unreleased track (Ghetto Music). Not specifically rap but it is specifically hip hop.

D'angelo - Ghetto music ft. Q-tip »

nmesen, Gaslight and JohnnyQuest like this.
  6. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuest

Gaslight and Naughty Chord like this.
  8. Naughty Chord

Nice! You're 100% correct, I do love this. What a great summer anthem. I don't know how he does it but everything .Paak touches turns to gold.

I've got huge anticipation for his upcoming NxWorries album.

Love love love the new avatar by the way.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  9. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Anyone remember 3rd Bass?

Been digging into my old school stack lately and spinning EPMD, Black Sheep, Slick Rick, De La Soul, BDP and these guys. Keep your eyes peeled at 2:47 for Zev Love X (aka MF Doom) when he was with KMD. :)

10. JohnnyQuest

Enjoy the music video, fellas!

11. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

This album is so, so good...

havenz and PhantomStranger like this.
  12. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

This is a cool song.

jiffypopinski and Machiventa like this.
  13. Masta Ace has always been so underrated. His stuff from the 90s is criminally overlooked.

14. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

I don't know if availability has anything to do with it... Disposable Arts is quite expensive these days, the CD. Still doesn't change the fact that Masta Ace really has it... From Take a Look Around through pretty much anything by Masta Ace Incorporated, it still holds up very well. He's got a new album out... Haven't heard it yet but we've got a copy down at the shop. Nobody's probably going to buy it over here... But we just got to have it. If not only to listen to it. So happy he's still around and making music.

15. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

It's shaping up to be a pretty good year for new hip hop albums. I can't stop listening to Young Thug's Slime Season Vol 3 and YG's Still Brazy, plus that Kendrick unreleased album that came out earlier in the year, Schoolboy Q's latest, the Chance mixtape, Kanye's latest, and the various albums/mixtapes coming out from Chance-associated artists: Joey Purp, Noname, Jamila Woods, theMIND... there's a lot to explore in 2016!

16. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Earl Sweatshirt's latest, "I Don't Like S***, I Don't Go Outside" is in my top 5 releases of 2016

17. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Came out in March 2015 FYI.

18. Complier

Complier Senior Member

I just discovered it. Thought it came out this year.

Still a fantastic album.

scotth likes this.
  19. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

For you old school backpackers hip hop hippies (of just middle aged dudes like me) this Friday Aug 25th KEXP is doing 12 hours of programming to honor De La Soul's 3 Feet High And Rising. Last year when they did the same thing for Paul's Boutique it was some of the best radio programming I had ever heard. Stream it here:

KEXP Goes 3 Feet High and Rising »

"Consistently ranked among the greatest albums of all time, 3 Feet High and Rising ushered in a new era of positivity and creativity in the emerging explosion of hip hop, and is seen as the forerunner for alternative hip hop of the 1990s.

With a deep and varied stable of samples from such diverse artists as Johnny Cash, The Turtles, Hall & Oates, Funkadelic, and James Brown, 3 Feet High and Rising draws on many musical greats. KEXP will explore all of those samples and influences in depth, exploding the album out over a 12 hour period."

jiffypopinski and Machiventa like this.
  20. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

It's pretty good IMO. Check it out if you haven't.

DITC also recently released a new album that's worth checking out. It's even got Fat Joe on it and he sounds decent, even though I'm not a fan of his.
    Here's an album sampler:

DITC STUDIOS ALBUM • Deluxe Edition x2CD • ORDER NOW! »

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  21. jiffypopinski

LOVE this album! Haven't played it in a couple years but it still stands up as a great debut.

havenz and Machiventa like this.
  22. jiffypopinski

Really diggin' the new Dälek right now and I'm happy they've continued their Public Enemy meets My Bloody Valentine sound. I just wish it was longer than 38 minutes.... it's over waaaay too soon! It's definitely one of my favorites for 2016.

23. roughdiamondnickel

roughdiamondnickel Forum Resident

Nice to see a thread like this. Tonight I have been exploring an artist named Vanilla out of the UK. This album is influenced by 60s soul, and is generally an instrumental-ish soul/hip-hop album with funk flourishes. Made up of samples and really mellow sounding.

24. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Speaking of UK hip hop, I went to see Lowkey in Leeds on Friday. It's great that he's back after a long absence and crazy to hear a crowd of a few hundred people singing along word for word to this:

If you've never seen Lowkey's Fire in the Booth, you rap fans are in for a treat:
    Lowkey - Fire in the Booth (1XTRA) »

gotityet0 likes this.
  25. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Just got back from a Digable Planets concert. The fact that they managed to come here, to this town - I consider myself very lucky. This type of hip hop hasn't been around here for a long time. This was my first hip hop show. They had a live band which kicked ass. It was very funky, to me it combined all the coolest aspects of hip hop, jazz and R&B. Just a really chill kind of vibe, not that many people in the audience at all but everybody had a party. The group was up for it, well prepared. Super slick! Great night.