Hip Hop Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FunBrownSugar, Nov 2, 2013.

1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Me too! I always felt that Jazz and Hip Hop went together extremely well.

Aris, 2xUeL, huge logo and 1 other person like this.
  2. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Superb collaboration, the combination of funky sounds with the dreamy sound which accompanied the track creates perfection!

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  3. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

The offbeat instrument sample pt.1: the self-explanatory "Accordion" by Madvillain

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    Machiventa likes this.
  4. Campbell Saddler

The offbeat instrument sample pt.2: I really like what Timbaland did with Area Code 615's "Stone Fox Chase" (aka The Theme From The Old Grey Whistle Test) on Bubba Sparxxx's "Jimmy Mathis"

5. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Speaking of rap and jazz, I nearly coughed up a lung the first time I heard this:

6. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Jonwayne has been putting out great stuff over the last few years... Cassette, Cassette 2, and Cassette 3 are all outstanding. Rap Album One is a nice step forward. There are only a few tracks on this album that don't do it for me... I've been cranking it for the last few weeks nonstop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2xUeL likes this.
  7. johnnypaddock

Sorry, one more image... I love that some of this stuff is coming out on analog tape. No idea how it sounds, but it's awesome.

[​IMG]

8. johnnypaddock

from one of my favorite hip-hop albums of all time, Common - Like Water For Chocolate

Machiventa and Campbell Saddler like this.
  9. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

M E G A B O M B

10. Campbell Saddler

If you include jazz fusion in the jazz samples and hip hop theme, then Bob James' "Nautilus" is one of the most used:

Ghostface Killah w/Raekwon & Cappadonna "Daytona 500"

11. Campbell Saddler

David Axelrod's jazz-tinged arrangements (i.e. "Urizen" in the J5 video) also make his records sought after:

Jurassic 5 w/Big Daddy Kane & Percee P "A Day At The Races"

Machiventa, johnnypaddock and wolfram like this.
  12. johnnypaddock

I love that J5 album... I played it about 2,000 times for a few years after it came out. My friends hated me for it after awhile. Another act from LA, correct?

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  13. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

Fantastic Vol 2 is one of my favorite hip hop albums. Dilla is the greatest ever.

14. Campbell Saddler

They were based in LA: Power In Numbers had a varied sound amongst its tracks I liked :agree:

15. Campbell Saddler

Revisiting Aquemini: Outkast w/Raekwon "Skew It On The Bar-B"

benzo and johnnypaddock like this.
  16. Campbell Saddler

Top notch production from Dilla and video from Spike Jonze: The Pharcyde "Drop"

17. Campbell Saddler

It's like an All-Star Game with DJ Shadow, DJ Quest, Dan The Automator & Prince Paul:

Handsome Boy Modeling School "Holy Calamity (Bear Witness II)"

18. johnnypaddock

19. Campbell Saddler

I like how he cut up Curtis Mayfield's vocal to that beat, since "The Making Of You" is a ballad :thumbsup:

20. Campbell Saddler

It reminds me how Premier used a Teddy Pendergrass bass interlude on "Devil's Pie"

benzo likes this.
  21. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I was part of the crowd in the music video of this song. I was in high school at the time. Part of it was shot in the park. I was there with some friends.

Campbell Saddler and 2xUeL like this.
  22. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

It isn't semantics and it didn't happen because of KRS-One. It's always been this way, KRS-One was just one of the people who was vocal about it. It really isn't debatable. I guess in simplistic terms, look at hiphop as a tree, rap is a leaf on that tree. Other leaves are DJing, graffiti, b-boying/breakdancing. Those are the 4 pillars. You could add beatboxing too as well, but that's a little extraneous. Together that is hiphop culture. Rap is an aspect of hiphop culture. Over the years, people have used rap and hiphop synonymously, and colloquially, it is has come to mean that. But if you're talking to old heads that lived and breathed this culture (like KRS-One and people older than him), they will correct you. And they are right because they cultivated it.

tpdorsey and mantis4tons like this.
  23. djej

djej Forum Resident

Anyone have any thoughts on the quality of the vinyl issue of Q-Tip's The Renaissance album? Or his Kamaal The Abstract LP?

24. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

These guys changed how a generation of Staten Island kids dressed in the early to mid 90s. Note that they are standing behind a bunch of Clarks shoes on the cover of the album. below is a picture of me from 1994. I was 14 at the time.

[​IMG]

I am dressed in the freshest gear of the time. Kangol hat, nautica shirt, guess jeans and timberland chukkas (I had my clarks in my bag because it was raining). We dressed like that solely because of Ghostface and Raekwon. Everyone on Staten Island dressed like them. These dudes had kids wearing clarks, wallabees, hush puppies, custom kangols, nautica, guess, and bathrobes when relaxing. It was not a game. You had to come correct in those days. You couldn't leave the house without looking "fresh to death". When they opened their Wu Wear store, that was the hangout. ODB used to always buy us ice cream. Their store closed, and is now a barber shop called Against da Grain. Method Man stops by regularly. Redman swings by on occasion as well. The rest of the Clan and various affiliates come through regularly if they are in town. I saw Cappadonna and U-God recently.

Ghostface worked out at the same gym as I did called Pumpin’ Iron. One time, he walked in with gold medallions the size of dinner plates. Realest $hit I ever saw in my life. This older white lady on the treadmill looked mortified at the sight of him. It was hysterical. I worked out with him on occasion when his regular partner was not there. You know how much motivation you'll have when Ghostface is spotting you on the bench? I felt like I could benchpress an Escalade.

Pericles, Wipeout, tpdorsey and 7 others like this.
  25. FunBrownSugar

FunBrownSugar Active Member Thread Starter

Anybody check out the new Death Grips yet?