Hiss on "Love Me Tender" Mono Mix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

Elvis Presley's Love Me Tender is probably the hissiest. When I was not consciously sensitive to the bad which is noise reduction, I remember hearing the cleaned-up version in the eighties and thinking, "Wow! They really improved the sound!" It's hiss used to come on like gangbusters off the top, even apparent when heard on AM through a little radio with poor reception.
    I can't imagine a smash with a more noise to signal ratio, but maybe there were. I'm sure there were at least some pretty hissy hit records. Any come to mind?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Re: Hissy hits

No, the original 45 of LOVE ME TENDER has no hiss. It also has no signal above 6,000 cycles either. If you remember noise, it was AM noise from the radio. The actual session 35mm mag master was only found in the late 1980's..

3. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Steve,

On some BMG releases, the Mono mix of Love Me Tender has hiss. I have no idea why. On later releases mastered by Vic Anesini [for one] it does not, thankfully. Thanks for the info...

Bob-:)

P.S. - I have reititled this thread.

4. Steve Hoffman

Bob,

The original 45 of LOVE ME TENDER was mastered from a 33 1/3 acetate disc furnished by 20th Century Fox to RCA-Victor (if you can believe it) and was hard filtered at 5k in mastering. If a CD release has hiss it's from a copy tape that had treble boosted in mastering or it's from a dub of the 35mm mag tape copy that was made about 25 years ago (badly). A later mix (the one that I used on my ELVIS DCC Gold CD and LP) is pretty much hiss-less..

5. Bob Lovely

Wow! From an acetate? No wonder. No tape? Your mastering of the Stereo mix is superb. Is that a binaural mix? Thanks for the additional insight...

6. Steve Hoffman

Bob,

In 1956 Fox had 35mm mag dubbers and lacquer cutting machines (to make "playback" lipsync records on) and that's it. They gave RCA what they could (a clean acetate). RCA never complained, heh.

The mix I used was from the three-track mag elements. As you can hear, the mags are clean and hiss free.

7. Bob Lovely

Thanks Steve! Great information...

8. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

The version I had on an Elvis compilation LP had so much hiss. Maybe it was made from a tape of a tape of a tape from that acetate, but I remember it as being super hissy.

9. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I am consistently amazed at the things I learn on this forum.:)

Thanks Steve!

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.