History Channel's Alone

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris from Chicago, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Chris from Chicago, where are you? I knew the boat was going to be Jose's downfall. He tumped over waist deep water, 47 degree water. He must have went into shock, he just stood there in the water. He weighs his options, hits the panic button and when the boat shows up to get him he hasnt moved an inch, still standing soaking wet in the cold-butt water. He was dejected. Cussing man hit rock bottom, hard, very emotional. After that, he pulled himself up by the bootstraps for a few days. It actually looked like he was going to hang in there, then...he just quit. I think he was at peace with himself. So the winner, by default, is Starving man.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  2. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

I'm embarrassed. I accidentally erased the episodes before I had a chance to view them. With all due respect @Borgia I did not allow myself to read most of your post, as I wanted to go in blind. I shall be viewing tonight, oh yes, I will. And I will return. Sorry to fumble this.

3. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

Okay...in what appears to be the second to last episode...

The cusser can't find food. Things are getting so bad he has resorted to eating his bait. And his nose looks funny...injured...bruised. Living by the ocean is getting in his head. The waves are talking to him. And they won't shut up. I've criticized him for throwing tantrums...but I haven't walked in his shoes. He fights on. Slowly. But he's losing.

Hungry man teeters on the edge of sanity. I guess at this point they all are. But at least he's eating. He has his wits about him. And then he doesn't. He decorated a tree. With his socks. And this guy desperately need a hug.

Nature man admires the sea otters. And the surrounding nature he resides in. I think I've even come to admire him. He can win this. He will win. But not for himself. He'll win for his wife (oh no).

This breathe-y ass atmospheric background soundtrack is starting to get in my head. At times, it's quiet scary movie music.

The cusser...his name is Larry. He eats the last of his food. And he burns the last of his firewood. He's cracking. And his time here is nearly over.

Nature man...The moon's gravity is messing with the tide. Which makes it not so ideal to get on his kayak. He seems slower...sadder. But he won't give up. Because that's what a man does..."try". And I believe him. But then his boat capsized. Is he alright? Fade to black.

I'm aware I've been less jokey. Because this episode is emotional. And it comes off as so genuine, that it intensifies...everything. I saw people...vulnerable people...get real. Stuff I feel intrusive witnessing.

One episode left. I'll get your review by end of day.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  4. Borgia

You are right about that. These last two episodes are quite emotional, to the point of being painful to watch. These last three contestants are in physical & mental pain.

5. Chris from Chicago

Continuing...

Nature man. He is a damn lucky man he was only in waist deep water. 47 degree water. He had a bit of a mental block breakdown after capsizing. And this results in him pushing the tap out button. Having all of your wool and thermal clothing get soaked, as well as your shoes will ruin anyone's day. When he changed into warm, dry clothes, it looked like he had lost 50 pounds. Nature man signs off.

Day 60. 2 people remain.

The cusser has no idea he's only one of two left. So he talks it through. With his hand. He's emotionally spent. He's just going through the motions now.

Hungry man (David) is too weak to chop a branch. Or saw a stick. He doesn't have it in him to fish. But he must. When he loses the fish he catches it occurs to me...he's never really gotten too down this entire endeavor. His knee is hurt. Badly. Yet he trudges on.

Both of these guys have pushed themselves father than they thought they would, or could. They suffered hardships, hunger, cold, exaustion and maybe maybe most excruciating...loneliness. Both guys stare off blankly. A boat speeds toward the shore. Someone pressed the help button. Who? Each one, at this moment, has achieved their own level of crazy.

It's day 64. The cusser tapped out. He's going home. He thought he was going to die there. He leaves humbled. But he wins in his own way. Not the prize money. He wants to spend the rest of his days showering his family with love and attention. I guess they win too.

Hungry man on day 66. He won. But he doesn't know it yet. He continues to fish...to live...to survive. A boat comes for him. He thinks it's for a routine medical exam. He tells them he's not done yet. Not close. He speaks of continuing. A figure appears in the background. It gets closer. He hears. He turns. He sees his daughter. She's there to tell him he won. He cried. So did she. I think I did a little too.

I don't know if the half million in prize money will make his life better. But I sincerely hope it does. This guy deserved it. He earned it.

Each contestant removed all evidence of their being there. I like that. Leave it like you found it. No...leave it better.

Signing off for season 2. Thanks, loyal readers (the both of you). See you next season.

Borgia and GodShifter like this.
  6. Chris from Chicago

Season 3 starts December 8th on the History Channel. 10 volunteer "contestants" get randomly dropped in Patagonia. Yeah...that's what I thought too. Pantagon-who? It's on the southern most tip of South America. They face extreme isolation, unforgiving terrain, hunger and the elements. Sounds like a Friday night good time to me.

Borgia and GodShifter like this.
  7. Borgia

Well, I guess it got off to a good start. This first episode only showed three people being dropped off around a lake. I assume the others are being dropped off at another lake, same lake? The previous seasons showed a large map of Vancouver Island and were the players/contestants were located at. I didn't see any such graphic in this first episode so I'm not sure they are all being deposited around the same lake or body of water. I guess it will unfold over time. Three days in and one man down, Mr. School-Teacher who preached PMA (positive mental attitude) to his students. A day or two of sitting in his shelter listening to the patter of the rain was enough, he developed the thousand yard stare and tapped out.

Scott222C and Chris from Chicago like this.
  8. Chris from Chicago

Patagonia. The southern most tip of South America. It is literally the edge of the world. It's wild and untouched. The moment each and every participant gets dropped off...a little doubt sets in.

Okay, day 1. Take note of your environment to see what'll help you succeed. Build a shelter. Find water. And look for evidence of what you hope to end up eating.

The herbalist built a beach chair. Impressive. She then, unsurprisingly, finds mushrooms and berries. Then catches a fish. A trout. I don't really fish. So, as a result, I don't know all that much about fish. Turns out they eat a bunch of sh!t. Then she caught another. She's good. I then proceeded to get up and grab a beer. That I bought. At a store. Just now I'm going through the first stages of shame.

The accountant is nervously looking around at every sound he hears. Although if I heard that animal scream sound in the middle of the night I'd be done. This isn't Orlando, FL. You don't run around blindly in am uninhabited foreign land in full dark. At least I don't.

The boat builder struggled with saying hello to the camera. This guy should be an adventure. Upon checking his surroundings he finds the worst kind of boner. Then wakes up abruptly, grabs his flashlight, and sees late night reflective eye-shine. Nighty night.

Jim the teacher built a tee pee. With a bed. He's thinking too much and beginning to crack. On day 2. The positive mental attitude guy showing signs of severe un-positivity. He grabs his tap out thingie. Yep. It happened. Day 2. Mr positive is now forever known as Mr First to Go.

Random thoughts:

Boar scat. Not your friend. Anything pushed out of a fierce creature's circular box should NOT be your next door neighbor.

Every participant goes into this thinking they're going to win. Seems to me you either have to be naive or dangerously arrogant to think you can conquer an environment like this.

A good knowledge base, practical experience and confidence aren't going to fight off the demons that are known as anxiety, loneliness and fear. You win...when everyone else quits. I enjoy this. As a viewer. But it isn't a game I'd ever want to play.

GodShifter and Borgia like this.
  9. Chris from Chicago

This is beautiful county. Brutal. But beautiful.

The skinny guy jumps in the cold lake. He goes fishing and makes a catch. But he's oddly giddy. A case of the crazies? Or just hunger? At least his teeth are clean. Sort of.

The young cannuck gets angry. And yells. At birds. He thinks he's there to grow. But if he doesn't get food he's going to get smaller.

Neanderthal guy tries to get pretty. By burning his nose hairs. Yep. And really thinks he's super awesome. But then goes boar hunting. And then gets lost. Pssh. Neanderthals. Can't live with 'em. Can't clean 'em.

Biologist girl feels stuck. Problem is she is. In quicksand. I wasn't entirely sure that was a real thing. Until now.

Another young pup falls down. With a sharp knife and an axe in hand. He rolled right over the blade of his axe. And it looked like it. Medics came. Then left. With him. Two gone.

Random thoughts:

Puma poop has both hair and bones in it.

Don't pucker your lips with your face so close to the camera.

And for God's sake eat with your mouth shut.

10. Chris, I must admit. You have a good knack for writing in an entertaining style. The quips add to what is happening without getting in the way. The summary is well written and paints a good picture of what you witnessed.
    I have not watched one second of this show. I have been tricked, so to speak, by all the other reality survival shows. I like Les Stroud and his show "Survivorman". While his situations are set up he does a good job of giving useful information to help one live. No extra drama or fake BS to help add to the events.
    The original "Dual Survival" was pretty good too. Cody Lundeen (nature boy) was a crackpot with a very practical approach to survival methods. Dave Canterbury was a military style guy but infused enough real world adaptability to be useful. Dave was also able to adapt to new things that proved effective.
    The newer versions of Dual Survival are NOT good because they have engineered too much BS drama into the show. If you are going to survive you must be adaptable and try to get along. When your partner is so arrogant as to be dangerous and then fake drama is added to the mix I am done watching.

Bear Grylls does have some useful information from time to time but I found much of his show a bit too outlandish and scripted. For instance, you are supposed to be trying to survive so why run or jog down the hillside. Getting hurt while stranded is the LAST thing you want to accomplish. He also performs maneuvers most would NEVER even attempt either due to physical limitations or plain old common sense. You suggest we jump from a cliff into a nearby standing tree rather than find a different way down? SURE we were all thinking that is a good idea...Bears show become more stranded sitcom than a survival show.
    The "Naked and Afraid" and other shows of this ilk have proven to be far too scripted and filled with drama for my liking. It seems as if the contestants are hand picked via a psychological test ensuring certain mental displays...Not for me.

I may have to give "Alone" a look based on your write ups.

I will have to admit that family and loved ones can be a detrimental mental situation. They can also be the lasting driving force in making it to the end. It really depends on the individual.
    The one factor that kinda sinks the real survival aspect is the knowledge of a way out. While these contestants are trying their best to make it all the way they also know there is a sure way out if they choose. This knowledge has a profound effect on what they do and how they react to hardship or success.

I do wonder what the show producers will do if a contestant gets killed by a local predator?
    Or, on the other hand, a contestant become mentally distraught to the point of suicide?

Anyway, great write ups. I enjoyed reading them while not having to deal with John Bon Jovi turning back time...every seven minutes!

11. Chris from Chicago

I, too, watch all of the other survival type shows. Naked and Afraid comes off as most fake and set up. Survivorman has ranted before suggesting almost all of these are artificial and not as they appear to be.

Thank you for your kind words. Give this one a shot. I can't personally verify it is 100% as advertised. But it sure seems like it is.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. My money is on the herbalist. She's actually enjoying herself. I don't get the people who can't handle being alone, that's kind of the point. I'm not into hunting but give me a steady supply of food and I'd do it in a heartbeat.

13. Chris from Chicago

One of the ever important tricks to longevity on this show is keeping feelings and memories of family back home at bay. It is every bit mental as it is physical.

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Chris's write ups are the bomb. He's very funny and writes in an almost self deprecating way; perhaps that's why I like him so much - he's much like me :laugh:

I, too, love survival shows (and stories) but the problem is none of these are truly real due to the option of the opt out. Now, give me an up close and personal view of somebody like Carl McCunn or Chris McCandless and I'm onboard.

Recently, I watched a show called "Rectify" on Sundance and it highlighted the isolation a human being goes through in solitary confinement (and awaiting eventual execution). It had profound impact on me.

I've always been a loner and don't like the company of other humans much, but pure isolation without the ability to connect with humans at all would be extremely difficult. Even for a misanthrope such as myself. Besides, I'd be a crappy hunter.

15. Chris from Chicago

The only thing I'd be successful at hunting and capturing is a cold sore and a rash on my crotch.

And Jason, seriously, thank you for your kind words.

GodShifter likes this.
  16. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I saw one episode of this show last week and I am truly intrigued. I'm with you. The herbalist is embracing where she is, she looks comfortable gutting a fish and foraging and she figured out right away to get food that can last awhile. One salmon can last days for a smaller person. And very clever to open up the stomach to see what the fish was eating!

The isolation is a mental game though and you have to be built for it. As the other guy who cracked after 3 days found. Growing up I knew a few people who could live on their own for months at the end of a lake.

I know it's South America but the scenery reminds me of coastal BC / Pacific Northwest. I have woken up to that scenery many times as a child so I love that. The idea that they are isolated from others is really interesting.

kevywevy likes this.
  17. Chris from Chicago

Funny you say, all previous seasons have been on Vancouver Island which looked remarkably similar to this locale.

18. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Hmmm interesting. Even the fish looked like one I would have caught up here. Maybe, like in a radio program, it is the South America of the mind. :)

19. Chris from Chicago

It would appear that an episode has been missed. I'll chalk that up to Kris Kringle coming by, consuming my good bourbon and not shutting up about it. The bastard.

It starts, day 17. 8 people remain.

Beardy-face has seasonal affective disorder. And he toys with his sling shot. He builds boats. Which makes him remarkably good with a saw and axe. He built a dock...to extend his paddle boat duck trap from. Sigh. I got lost in a Walmart this morning.

Skinny man builds a cabin with a working self-closing door. I would UPS him a sandwich if I could. He might not be worth his weight in bone marrow to a starving boar.

The biologist shaves her legs. Seems like getting a little squatchy might have its benefits down here.

Neanderthal man talks too much. He makes tea. Then pretends to get sick. Now I hope he does. His snare is broken. And his bait is gone. He's probably not a master baiter. What? He needs meat. He's starting to feel weak. I quietly wonder if he'd talk less if he swallowed his tongue.

The accountant builds a urinal leading out of his cabin. He now hasn't eaten in 23 days. Nothing says happy holidays like natural edibles and urine-ade. He catches a rabbit. Finally. With a snare. Made with fishing line. Rabbits have teeth...that can chew through fishing wire. The accountant looks at a photo of his family. He taps out.

7 people remain.

Random thoughts...

This breathe-y background sound is freaking me out. Surround sound...clap off.

I'm using my electric blanket tonight at night-nite time. Go **** yourself Patagonia.

20. Borgia

These folks are definitely having a hard time catching fish.

21. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Why doesn't anyone ever bring a fishing rod? Might be more productive than a stupid slingshot.

22. Borgia

You aren't allowed to bring a fishing rod, just line & hooks with which to fish. The guy made the slingshot himself, as it's not on the list of things he brought along.

23. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Oh didn't know he made the slingshot, quite the handy fellow is he, with that and his duck trap thingy. Shame no rods allowed, would make fishing a hell of a lot easier, what with those poor starving folks desperately diving into the frigid water to grab a fish.

24. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Damn, I love when I stumble across threads like this one!

25. Chris from Chicago

Patagonia. Day 35. 7 people remain.

Beardy-face digs in and builds a place to live. He even has double walls for insulation. He's a handy son of a bitch. He finds signs of a nearby boar. He's going to stalk and kill it. He's a dumb son of a bitch, too.

Neanderthal man is hard to like. He builds a raft. But it sort of sucks. He aspires to travel across the lake. So he fortifies it. His voyage is successful. In more ways than one.

Skinny man seems to have aged 20 years. A lack of food isn't helping. So he gets inventive with his fish hook. Turns out to be successful. But he slurps so much while he was eating, I hope a giant squid decides to make him his bitch.

The giant Trapper man talks about all the food he wants. Giant man will die here if he doesn't get off his ass and do something. He has no shelter. He's eaten little food. Yet he pretends to be a badass. Maybe the others should find and eat him.

Alaska girl builds a fire and enjoys the stars. It's nice. Until the trees knock. And the howls start. Something large, she sees, is looking at her. She's cold. I'd have come up with a thoroughly disguising, but quite natural way of instantly warming myself.

Random thought:

I have some dark, I-hope-this-guy-hurts-himself-in-a-humorous-way just for my entertainment thoughts while watching this show. I'm either a really bad human being...or I should stop watching this show.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    GodShifter likes this.