History of Liederkranz Hall (RCA, CBS)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DMortensen, Feb 6, 2016.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

From here: <<there are two images which depict,one of the dates for the album Ezio Pinza In Scenes From Boris Godounov -- or so is claimed by an online source. If that Godunovidentification is correct, then these photos probably date from December 22 or 23, 1944.>> Beyond that, :shrug:.

From the same site:
    Studio_Columbia_Liederkranz_1938_WabcSymphonyOrchestra_VittoriGianniniConductor-1.jpg
    <<First in view is a 1938 shot of conductor Vittori Giannini and the WABC Symphony Orchestra. Curtains cover a large portion of the walls. (In an JMEF Quaterly article called "The Rise And Decline Of The Standard Transcription Company," Linda L. Painter offers that "[a]ccording to engineer Bob Nicholas, in the early years recording it was believed that the studios should be dead, and felt curtains would be hung around the walls.") The extensive lighting is also worth noting. (Viewers wishing to gain a good perspective of the hall should pay heed to such lights. They are visible in multiple photos, from different angles.)>>
    Also, I found this, here:
    Screen shot 2017-05-31 at 4.35.48 PM.png Screen shot 2017-05-31 at 4.36.08 PM.png

DMortensen and lukpac like this.
  2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I thought the first 2½ minutes of this 1945 film short might be of interest here:

DMortensen likes this.
  3. MLutthans

First time I saw that was as between-movie filler on Showtime, circa 1980-81.

Bob F likes this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Clearly staged, but boy, on first look I thought that was Bob Waller running the lathe. Crazy.

DMortensen likes this.
  5. DMortensen

DMortensen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't know if they are from me or if they acquired the pictures some other way. Since they refer to a website ID'ing the Pinza pics as from Boris Godunov, that must be here. That's cool, although I have to say I don't care for the sepia filter.

The resolution is definitely about at my level....

6. MLutthans

(These are posts copied from the 30th Street thread that contain info about Liederkranz Hall, and were copied to this thread to consolidate the information as much as possible. The original posts still reside in the 30th Street thread.)
    (Photos posted by @DMortensen)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    lukpac likes this.
  7. MLutthans

(These are posts copied from the 30th Street thread that contain info about Liederkranz Hall, and were copied to this thread to consolidate the information as much as possible. The original posts still reside in the 30th Street thread.)

lukpac likes this.
  8. MLutthans

lukpac likes this.
  9. MLutthans

lukpac likes this.
  10. MLutthans

(This post is copied from the 30th Street thread that contain info about Liederkranz Hall, and was copied to this thread to consolidate the information as much as possible. The original post still resides in the 30th Street thread.)

lukpac likes this.
  11. MLutthans

lukpac likes this.
  12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm nearly certain these:

Are simply resized/cropped versions of these:

Same with the Robeson pic where you can see Fred in the mirror taking the photo.

13. MLutthans

Bump for a cool topic that has fallen by the wayside of late.

lukpac likes this.
  14. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

Here's a Jazz Age 'Best' of Liederkranz Hall (really just favorites)...

1. East St. Louis Toddle-Oo [sic]
    2. Blue Bubbles (Take 1) - Duke Ellington and His Orchestra, 12-19-27

3. West End Blues (Take 1) - King Oliver and His Orchestra, 1-16-29

4. Handful Of Keys (solo piano)
    5. The Minor Drag
    6. Harlem Fuss
    7. Numb Fumblin' (solo piano) - Fats Waller and His Buddies, 3-1-29

8. The Dicty Glide (Take 1)
    9. Stevedore Stomp (Take 2) - Duke Ellington and His Cotton Club Orchestra, 3-7-29

10. Cotton Club Stomp
    11. Misty Mornin' - Duke Ellington and His Cotton Club Orchestra, 5-3-29

12. What You Want Me To Do
    13. Sweet Like This
    14. Too Late - King Oliver and His Orchestra, 10-8-29

15. I Want You Just Myself
    16. I Can't Stop Loving You - King Oliver and His Orchestra, 11-6-29

bonus tracks:

17. Edna
    18. Boogie Woogie
    19. Mule Face Blues - King Oliver and His Orchestra, 4-10-30

20. Rockin' Chair
    21. Barnacle Bill The Sailor - Hoagy Carmichael and His Orchestra, 5-21-30

West End Blues (Take 1) survived as a test pressing, perhaps of lower fidelity than the issued Take 2, but I find the performance more enjoyable.

MLutthans likes this.
  15. MLutthans

Any new tidbits of Liederkranz info turn up over the last few years?

lukpac likes this.