History of Panning/Stereo Imagining

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 2xUeL, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher Thread Starter

Any info on what time period "left-center-right switches" were on consoles and when panning pots took over and became the norm?

At the beginning of "Axis: Bold as Love" (1967), do you think that's a panning switch or a pot? It sounds like a switch to me. (BTW: "Spanish Castle Magic" really has stereo nailed back in '67: drums, bass and vocals center, double-tracked guitars hard left and right.)

Then in '68 at the beginning of "Back in the USSR", the panning of the airplane sound pretty smooth, but then on "Revolution 9" all the panning sounds like switches...?

There also sounds like some pretty smooth panning on Led Zeppelin I (1969).

I also realize that, before panning pots, a stereo mic setup could have been implemented and a sound source could have been moved around to create a smooth panning effect, though I don't know if anyone would have done this.

2. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Well don't forget you can pan with just LCR switches so it's not so cut and dry. It's pretty simple to do, but I'll let you guys figure out how to do it.

3. 2xUeL

Thanks for the input Doug.

To clarify, I'm mainly interested in finding out approximately when panning pots became standard on consoles.

4. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Well the first studio console I worked on had a few, but they had to be patched in. It was heavily modded, but essentially a mid to late 60's Electrodyne console.

My point is that it's hard to tell simply by listening to recordings, as it was relatively easy to pan on consoles that didn't have channel pan pots.

5. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Did you mean "Imaging" ?

6. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Well, stereo "imagining" kinda nails it for the first two Beatles records ;)

7. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I think perhaps he's referring to moving an image around in the sound field. The easy way to do it with a console without pan pots is to mult ( that's studio talk for a Y ) an input to two adjacent channels, switch one to the left and the other to the right. Now you can easily position or move that signal by changing the relative levels of those two faders. If they are both equal the signal is in the middle.

2xUeL likes this.
  8. 2xUeL

HA...yes...embarrassing

9. 2xUeL

AHA! So there's really no way to determine from listening when panning pots were implemented. :shake:

10. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Late 50s
    EMI and BBC desks had panable sources
    Beeb desks even had stereo width control (MS processing)

Doug Sclar and 2xUeL like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Atlantic, NYC had pan pots (damn noisy ones) in 1958. Pan pots suck because they really degrade the signal.

The last time I mixed at Capitol I had them disconnect the damn things for a more pure sound. Worked great.

2xUeL likes this.
  12. ascot

ascot Senior Member

This thread just made me think of the Supremes "Where Did Our Love Go" with its handclaps and the intro of "You Keep Me Hanging On" with distortion on the opening sounds.

13. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Btw, the Helios console we had a Dawnbreaker, which I installed in 1977, had pan pots of course, but we also had some quad pan pots with joysticks. Like with the Electrodyne console I mentioned upstream, they had to be patched in. I can't remember them ever being used on records as we did nothing in quad at that time, but they could be useful if you sent their rear outputs to a phase manipulating device which would create a surround effect of sorts out from the 2 main speakers. I played around with phase manipulation in those days, and even designed some phase manipulating devices, but never came up with anything that was all that satisfying.

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The main reason to use pan pots (one would hope) was not to "pan" across (that got old with Hendrix) but to position instruments in a multi-track recording around the stereo spectrum instead of hard left, hard right and center. Don't think I've ever used them any other way (I hope).

15. 2xUeL

It seems clear to me that you can't get the fullness and size of a well-mixed modern stereo record with only three positions.

16. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Sure you can.

It all has to do with microphone placement. You can make some of the best sounding recordings, which can be very full sounding, with just two mics, one placed hard left and the other hard right. Remember that with 2 mics, the mic on the left will still pick up stuff from the right and visa versa. As long as your mics are not isolated, there will be much common ground, which means lots of stuff spread across the entire stereo spectrum.

Of course this philosophy can be expanded if you are using more than 2 mics. It just requires planning before recording to get the results you want.

thrivingonariff likes this.
  17. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Fully agreed!!!!

Plus: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ly-the-lonely-1958.208864/page-4#post-5590634

thrivingonariff and 2xUeL like this.
  18. 2xUeL

Of course...d'oh! I'm thinking of the more "immediate" sound of modern stereo records where there's many tracks of close-miked or direct-line instruments spread over the entire stereo field. With only stereo room mics, I wouldn't say you would get both fullness and the type of immediacy characteristic of modern records.

19. 2xUeL

20. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Well yes, I guess that's basically true, but it can still be done with a little creativity. Once again you can double up on faders and essentally assign any position you want to any track. I guess just about anything can be done in the studio if you're creative enough and know how to get what you want out of the tools you have to work with.

Keep in mind that this modern style of recording basically came into vogue after large format multi track tape recorders came into being, and by that time most consoles had pan pots. In the older days you had to essentially get the mixes, or sub mixes right live on the spot. With the advent of the 2" multi tracks, things changed and not always in a good way. The new philosophy seemed to be to record everything isolated and dry, and to recreate what was lost by that process in the mix.

After a few years a lot of engineers started to rethink things and evolve away from those super isolated recordings. Many of the early 70s multi track recordings suffer from this IMO.

thrivingonariff likes this.
  21. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

??????????? You Keep Me Hanging On is in mono.

22. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Sorry to drag this into Sinatraville, but this is why, for instance, COME DANCE WITH ME, recorded in the fall of '58, sounds so entirely different from SINGS FOR ONLY THE LONELY, recorded in Summer of '58. Both were recorded on Ampex 3-track machines, both were recorded in stereo in the ad hoc "snack room" recording set-up upstairs before remodeling took place to convert the main-floor Capitol control rooms for stereo. What changes was the number of mics used for stereo, and the purpose of those mics. In the summer of 1958, the approach was still to pick up the orchestra (as a unit) in stereo: a mic on the left and a mic on the right, period. By the fall of 1958, that changed to: Drum mic, sax mic, piano mic, bass mic, guitar mic all on one channel; brass mic (maybe two???) on the other channel. (Frank was on the center channel all by his lonesome.) As a result, everything in that first list was panned 100% far left, and the brass were more-or-less hard right. I say "more-or-less," because the drum mic was likely an Altec omni, and some fairly significant leakage occurred, allowing the brass to slightly pour over into the left track.

SINGS FOR ONLY THE LONELY is just about perfect in stereo, IMO. COME DANCE WITH ME? It's punchier, I guess, but aside from that aspect.....meh. (YMMV.) Too much of an imbalanced ping-pong effect for my tastes. It's alright. (The mono mix on that album, using the same mic set up, really stinks up the joint, so pick your poison.)

Once Capitol upgraded to a 12-input board for the 3-track, recordings like SINATRA'S SWINGIN' SESSION really sound killer-diller in stereo when mixed properly!

Another way to get a really nice stereo mix on a vocal recording such as this using L/C/R only is to record to 4-track. There's a Sinatra track (In the Blue of Evening) from 1961 recorded on 4-track at Radio Recorders, and it sure is nice to have (IIRC) saxes left, brass right, rhythm section centered, sharing that space with Frank's track. Primo! I think that track and THE CONCERT SINATRA sessions were the only (released) ones done on 4 or more tracks until 1965. (Maybe the UK album was 4-track? I forget.....)

Matt

2xUeL likes this.
  23. 2xUeL

FWIW, I'm into the super-full and immediate sound of modern "super-tracked" mixes...very powerful. But I also love the minimalism of old full-track and two-track stuff as well.

24. ascot

ascot Senior Member

You haven't heard the stereo mix?

Larry Geller likes this.
  25. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Ther IS no stereo mix. It's in mono on every release ever. Not even reprocessed stereo. Just straight mono.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.