History of the audiophile cable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dividebytube, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently bought a pair of Cardas Cross interconnects and a set of Kimber 4PR/8PR bi-wired speaker cables. I noticed on the Kimber Kables site that they were founded in 1979 in response to a disco installation!
    http://www.kimber.com/about/

I don't want to get into the 'do cables sound different' argument, but I was wondering when cables started being considered part of the music chain? Was Kimber the first or were there even earlier (DIY?) designs? More historically curious than anything else as I couldn't find anything googling.

2. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Nice info.
    He wanted to get rid of the lightning source bleeding over into the speaker cables - the byproduct was improved audio quality .
    Shows that many inventions that make a substantial difference are by accident rather than a 'brainchild'..

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Somewhere in the late seventies. Monster Cable seemed to be the first company that promoted high-end speaker wire/interconnect—1978. Kimber Cable emerged the year after.

There are two variables in wire design that have obvious audible effects, both are frequently applied to audio cable and interconnect. One is—fatter gauge/more current. This becomes meaningful when reproducing bass and seems to favor the bottom of the audible range over the top. The other is the difference in "sound" between copper and silver, silver being "brighter" or more treble-rich. Dressing, length, dielectrics and quality of termination also have audible impact on sound quality. Folks have been playing with these parameters long before "Monster Cable" started marketing 14 gauge zip-cord with gold-plated termination as "audiophile speaker cable."

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The first expensive/improved interconnect cable I bought was in the early 1980s, maybe 1983, it was 4xRCA to 4xRCA for my tape deck and cost £20:eek: I can't remember many upgrade interconnect cables before then, but it was definitely a case of heavier/better speaker cables being recognised before then, I'm sure QED sold better speaker cables.

I guess you need to check the Hi Fi mags for when cable upgrades were first mentioned or advertised.

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

I remember reading an article or a review of the Wilson WAMM in an early 80s Stereophile recalling that Fulton Gold? speaker cables were the choice to use and they were considered the best at the time.

So I think things started to really take off around 1980 or so :)

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I remember Neil Levenson flogging the Fulton Gold cables in Fanfare magazine—the must have been in the early eighties.

7. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

The first 'audiophile" cables that I became aware of were Monster cables. As I recall there was a lot of debate and contention when they appeared, a lot of reviewers conducting comparisons with zip cord...

8. darkmatter

"Fulton" the first Audiophile speaker cables?

Found this :)

pdf Article

Fulton Gold and this Fulton Brown and Gold and I quote

"FULTON- These cables, there were two models, "Brown" and "Gold", were very popular in the late 1970's and early 1980's. As far as I know, they were the first "audiophile" speaker cables, so they actually created this new "component" category. They were never that good and now they are obsolete.

Basically, they were extra thick, copper, lamp cord wire, like standard Monster cable, but with silver plating. The Brown was 12 or 10 gauge, while the (extremely stiff and super thick) Gold, was either 6 or 4 gauge. They had both a high inductance and a bright sound. They did have good bass because of their low resistance, especially the Gold, which is probably still a good choice as a subwoofer cable. Other than that, both cables are now obsolete and should be avoided."

9. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

10. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

I remember diskwasher had its own brand of speaker cable known as "Smoglifters".

11. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

cables got 'interesting' in the 20's when telecoms was expanding
    Allan Dower Blumlein developed balanced cables capable of being run alongside rack and pinion railways in Switzerland with no interferrence.
    intercontinental oceananic cables with repeaters also needed much work and the radio and cinema needed balanced cables too.

hifi cables a mere fashion digression imho

Roger

12. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I remember reading an article that also credited Fulton as being the one starting this trend.

13. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

In 1975, I had a large format book -what are now called "coffee table books, called (if I remember correctly) "Audio Alternative", by Mark Tobak. In it, he talked about Bob Fulton's cables (and Magnepan Typmanis and Audio Research's SP-3, Dahlquist 10s, etc.).

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Vidiot likes this.
  14. Mark W.

Mark W. Forum Resident

in the mid 70's Pioneer offered a Star Quad or twisted pair style speaker cable in their catalog. So nothing new.

15. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

1976, Supra, a sweedish cable company that was one of the first to offer quality cables and make use of measureable paramaters.
    I currently use their 3.4S speaker cable, back in '76 I was using 16 gauge lamp cord as suggested by Stereo Review.

16. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

This is shaping up to become a great discussion. I, too, have wondered where the audiophile cable began...

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Fulton and the Polk's that Salvatore refers to are the first in my mind. I did not know Supra go as far back as '76. Thanks.

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I believe the first audiophile cable was the Fulton cable.

Nevermind, darkmatter was all over it. :D

19. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Fulton was who I thought of when I saw the thread.

20. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

I saw News item in either High Fidelity or Stereo Review in the mid-1960s about a NY dealer who claimed to hear differences between a)different gauges of cables, b)tubed and solid amps, and c)electronics sitting on wall-mounted shelves vs. floor-standing cabinets.

21. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Sounds like Mike Kay of Lyric Hifi.

22. darkmatter

I'll look for a copy of that one :righton:

23. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Would have recognized that name. It was someone else.

24. darkmatter

Would be interesting to read this, if a scan of it could ever be found :)

25. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Found my notes--Jan 1966 "High Fidelity Newsfronts" in HF. Dealer was on Second Ave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.