Hit Rock Comp SERIES of 60's and 70's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

There are a few different compilation SERIES put out covering the 60's and 70's Rock. They are usually done on a disc per year basis. Which of these offer the best sustained sound quality throughout the series? Are there any series to avoid? Looking for stuff that is currently available.

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Khorn,

For 60's stuff, I recommend Ace UK:

http://www.acerecords.co.uk/

The mastering on their comps is generally very, very good and certainly better than most U.S. based re-ssue labels. The major label 60's comps suffer from less than steller mastering.

For 70's comps., the path is usually the major labels although Audio Fidelity is discussing release of a 70's comp., per their site.

If you have any specific questions on certain comps, post those questions here.

Good luck!

Bob:)

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

For me, two words: Time-Life.

Easiest way to get everything in one place.

4. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Look out for The Soundtrack series from Sanctuary (Castle Communications). The series begins at 1963 and has some unusual tracks. Mastering is good.

Also pretty good, though they've been around for many years now are the EMI MFP The Hits of 1959, 1960, 1961 etc etc. Sound not bad - I don't think noise reduction has been used on any of them.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Gotta have those Rhino "Have A Nice Day" CDs! For the 60s, the Time Life CDs can't be beat for diversity and obscure hits.

6. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Now hard to find, however....although they are still out there if you do some digging!

Good recommendation!

Bob:)

7. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

I have the '70 Time-Life disc, a truly great selection of cuts!

8. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

I totally agree. I'm amazed at how good the overall sound quality is for the different sets. Not perfect, mind you, but consistently above average. On ebay, the TL titles can be obtained quite economically, if you pick and choose wisely.

9. msimonov

msimonov Senior Member

Gentlemen. Just curious.
    Do you have any comments on context and sound quality of the following two box sets. They look like great compilation of 60s.

Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era, 1965-1968 [BOX SET]
    Nuggets II: Original Artyfacts from the British Empire and Beyond [BOX SET]
    Both by Rhino Records.
    ~Mikhail

10. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Here's two more words for ya: Reader's Digest. Their three CD sets cover individual years from 1954, I believe. It's a great opportunity to listen to songs that you're familiar with in a new, unrecognizable context--NR *heavily* applied to smimmy mp.3-sounding sound files. The point? Don't get these two words confused with Time-Life.

11. Grant

They are all over the place out here! I even found tons of the Soul Hits of the 70s too!

12. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

You're not going to find all that material sounding any better than on those box sets. Sure, individual songs may be available elsewhere in preferable sonics, but as a package, those be the ones to get.

13. msimonov

msimonov Senior Member

Togo Rock and Toga Rock II by DCC have great compilations of songs and
    still available. Just received both from cduniverse. Excellent compilations.
    Toga Rock one conatains great version of "Wooly Bully". That makes it an essential CD.:D
    Toga Rock II has "Gloria", "Shout", "Mama told me not come" and some other really great songs.

I would highly recommend both and "Rock of the 70's vol II".
    On of songs "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynard Skynard.
    Also available on www.half.com
    Mastered by Steve. Can not go wrong with any of them.
    I was really surprised that they are still available.

Here is the link to Toga Rock II
    http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=MUSIC&pid=1001304&cart=152785178

Here is the link to Toga Rock I
    http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1772642&domain_id=1876&meta_id=2 :D

Rock of the 70's vol II long box for $11 :D

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1760312&domain_id=1876&meta_id=2

~Mikhail

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I dunno Ron, I happen to love the Bobby Vinton Readers Digest 3 Cee Dee Set as well as the following Reader Digest 3 Cee Dee sets: Jim Croce (Mastered by SH!), Andy Williams, Rosemary Clooney, Carpenters, John Denver, Guy Lombardo...they usually have all the top 40 chart hits included...

15. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Weird, Michael. I have the "1960 Rock 'n' Roll" 3-CD set. It is unlistenable.

16. Michael

Maybe from the early RD Cee Dee day's? Never heard that set.:)

17. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I forgot the excellent PolyGram Debutante "And The Beat Goes On" series. Cheap and well worth getting. Also look out for "Where The Action Is" & "The London Sound" on London, and "Now Hear This!", "And The Beat Goes On" and "As Years Go By" on Deram - four early compilations of British Decca material.

3 American compilations that are first class - "Instrumental Gems Of The 60's" (Collectors' Choice), "Buried Treasure - Lost Gems from Deep in the 60's Vaults" (Collectors' Choice) and "40 Solid Gold AM Radio Classics" (Echo)

Look out also for box sets from Disky - a Netherlands company that releases 60's and 70's EMI material without particularly bad noise reduction.

18. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Yes, great 2-disc comp. Includes Arlo Guthrie's 1969 single "Alice's Rock & Roll Restaurant".

Jim W.

19. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Not unless 1995 was "early" for Reader's Digest. Funny thing is, this set has a *great*song selection--something like 75 in all--and a fairly comprehensive booklet. But. Sound mastered so poorly as to lead you to believe that it was mastered in Kasakstan [with all due apologies to our Kasakstanian members].

20. Michael

I'd say early would be before 1988;) can't judge a whole label by one release...:D

21. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I agree that the "Super Hits of the '70s: Have a Nice Day" series is essential. It's still fairly easy to find these, too. Amazon has some of them available new and, as of this writing, appears to have used copies of each volume (though some of them are overpriced).

This series is, in some cases, the ONLY place to find some of these songs, since it focuses on one hit wonders. One definitely has to enjoy the "cheese factor," though.

The "Have a Nice Decade" box might be preferable to some in that it takes away a lot of the more obscure songs and adds some big hits by better known artists. This box set is, to my knowledge, still the only place to get the 45 edit of David Bowie's "Fame."

22. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

For the most part ... Time-Life comps are very good ... especially the ones mastered by Dennis Drake ... I have a bunch of those. :thumbsup: :)

23. stever

stever Senior Member

This is my favorite 70's collection -- get all 25 volumes. I've still found them in the bins at Best Buy.

24. Grant

I had to make my own 45 edit with Cool Edit. I have all 25 volumes, so I didn't need the box. Beside, knowing how Rhino operates, they probably used the wrong edits/versions on half the box, just like the 25 volume series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.